Not trying to start the Civil War again but...

just because u talk slower in the south does not in anyway automatically transfer to decreased production (SPORH or increased OA). However, there are P.O.S drivers in every center! mostly due to their poor work ethic and not working as efficiently as they should.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
just because u talk slower in the south does not in anyway automatically transfer to decreased production (SPORH or increased OA). However, there are P.O.S drivers in every center! mostly due to their poor work ethic and not working as efficiently as they should.

Welcome to BrownCafe SoGa.
Hope you enjoy the BrownCafe.

Last edited:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Some may call this "acceptable".
"Some"? The methods are what YOU call acceptable. What sgu was talking about, are slugs. That would make 3 types of driver's in my book. Driver's that need/crave a pat on the head from their supervisor, driver's that follow and play by the rules that UPS makes and driver's that don't really want to do any work at all. This all happens in the North, South, East and West, as well as internationally.

You alter the methods to suit YOUR needs, of which I believe the greatest is, to hurry home and get back on the computer and post your many tactless remarks. When will you stop being so angry?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I'm in the south,and from what Iv'e seen,we are more laid back than people from the north.Im not saying we work at a slower pace.I dont think my route could be run any faster by a Yankee.When we get mgrs from the north,I always enjoy watching them stress out about things they have no control over.I think in the south,we realize whats really important and dont necessarily flip out about it.If Im late leaving the building because the preload isnt wrapped,there is absolutely nothing I can do about it and Im not going to waste a whole day of my life being stressed out because of it.My boss hates that attitude,but I think in the back of his mind,he would love to be that way

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm in the south,and from what Iv'e seen,we are more laid back than people from the north.Im not saying we work at a slower pace.I dont think my route could be run any faster by a Yankee.When we get mgrs from the north,I always enjoy watching them stress out about things they have no control over.I think in the south,we realize whats really important and dont necessarily flip out about it.If Im late leaving the building because the preload isnt wrapped,there is absolutely nothing I can do about it and Im not going to waste a whole day of my life being stressed out because of it.My boss hates that attitude,but I think in the back of his mind,he would love to be that way

I like your post PAS.
This is pretty right on but it's not just Yankees. I've seen this in folks from the Midwest (especially Chicago) and even a few from the South.
Many management people stress out of things over which they have no control ... but then again my wife and daughter does too.
Since a large part of the concept of management is to control things (Plan, Organize, Control), maybe people with control issues gravitate to management.
This could be a good lead-in for a new Thread.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I lived in Houston for a few years in the early 80's. It was pretty easy to land a job because I was from Wisconsin. The people might not like Yankees but employers sure do.

tourists24

That's where I'm a goin'! Maybe, I'll take in a baseball game. I'll go see that team that deserted Boston for Milwaukee and then moved to Etlanna. You know which one - Babe Ruth used to play for them!
some would say they simply got wiser with each move..... :)

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
The reason us yankee's run higher sporh is due to our vigurous traning in the getto.

Man, after i'm done with my judo chops, I'm hitting 45 NI's an hour. Oop's, I meant stops.

This thread made my day. I needed a laugh.

Honestly though, I've hopped between centers and done routes in dence downtown, Getto areas, and some real boundox stix areas and they were all pretty fast passed.
I've noticed though that more rural area's I've been on have fewer pickup's so you have fewer interruptions with your deliveries and you have fewr stops until peak. I also enjoyed the stix routes more cause instead of worring bout getting into close encounters with fights or getting robbed, I'm smelling pine cones and nature keeping my mind at ease from the stress of our jobs. I wish I could stay on a route like that but my home center is were I'm stuck and can only be used in the other center when needed, cannot bid into that center. My center's had drivers held up at gun point and either get thrown in the back for a ride or they leave em and take the truck. Seems like once a year.

Some routes have a reasonable time allowance and some are just garbage routes screwed up from a dessolved route split ino it and overlapping pickup times that you could never run fast enough to scratch. That's the kind of route I was stuck on these last 2 months and it's in getto land.

Work ethics has nothing to with the region you live in.

I`ve always felt that rural areas had stronger work ethics as there were less services to do things for you so we had to learn to do things for ourselves. If you don`t know how to do something you find a neighbor who does and trade him something you do know how to do.

As far as being laid back as mentioned above I feel the same way about where I live. I was born in a rural area, have lived in downtown Chicago, and eventually moved back. i`ll take looking out any given window at cornfields any day over the hustle of the city.