Now For Something REALLY Awful

MassWineGuy

So last Saturday I went in to help with deliveries. My sixth work day that week, so of course I expected overtime. I looked at Friday’s pay stub, no OT.

Turns out that a section in our policy diatribe says that if you don’t work every scheduled minute, any overtime is negated. I can’t imagine that too many folks know about this.

Officially, my scheduled start is 14:50. But my manager told me that 15:00 was fine.

I know that interstate commercial drivers aren’t protected under labor laws. But I’m not an interstate driver.

I’m definitely contacting my state’s labor dept. And considering how long I’ll stay.

Last edited:

FedupExpress

I am at one of the so called "better stations" and I've heard all kinds of horror stories about unpaid wages and unpaid overtime.

That all boils down to your manager and what he can get away with.

I've heard of drivers asked to work their vacation and then having their ot scrapped.

This is why I don't understand the idiots at express that don't want to unionize.

Business as usual, don't trust management nor fedex.

One check I was missing a whole day of pay and was told it was because I put in a wrong truck number.

Complete bs.

Commercial Inside Release

If the manager broke any labor laws, they won't get away with it when you file a claim with the state labor dept (or the state wage & hour board - whatever Mass has.)

If any laws were broken, you'll win. Just be prepared, the state offices usually can't give legal advice, but don't let that stop you.

A lot of states have a free hour of legal services... Maybe get a referral for a labor attorney, and question him for an hour.

MassWineGuy

I am at one of the so called "better stations" and I've heard all kinds of horror stories about unpaid wages and unpaid overtime.

That all boils down to your manager and what he can get away with.

I've heard of drivers asked to work their vacation and then having their ot scrapped.

This is why I don't understand the idiots at express that don't want to unionize.

Business as usual, don't trust management nor fedex.

One check I was missing a whole day of pay and was told it was because I put in a wrong truck number.

Complete bs.

I am at one of the “better” stations. Yes, I share your incredulous reaction to those who don’t want a union. Mind boggling.

And Commercial, I definitely intend to consult a labor lawyer. Preferably for a free consult.

Tentative browsing shows that there may be an exemption to required OT pay under title II of the Railway Labor Act.

Last edited:

FedupExpress

I am at one of the “better” stations. Yes, I share your incredulous reaction to those who don’t want a union. Mind boggling.

And Commercial, I definitely intend to consult a labor lawyer. Preferably for a free consult.

Tentative browsing shows that there may be an exemption to required OT pay under title II of the Railway Labor Act.
Definitely search for a lawyer if you intend to pursue this.
I know for a fact multiple employees are suing the company, a manager mentioned this the other day.

I had a buddy who filed lawsuits against almost all his previous employers, now he works for himself.

Let's face it, all companies are crooked and conniving.

fedx

Extra Large Package
So last Saturday I went in to help with deliveries. My sixth work day that week, so of course I expected overtime. I looked at Friday’s pay stub, no OT.

Turns out that a section in our policy diatribe says that if you don’t work every scheduled minute, any overtime is negated. I can’t imagine that too many folks know about this.

Officially, my scheduled start is 14:50. But my manager told me that 15:00 was fine.

I know that interstate commercial drivers aren’t protected under labor laws. But I’m not an interstate driver.

I’m definitely contacting my state’s labor dept. And considering how long I’ll stay.

Just file a complaint with the Department of Labor. They'll handle the rest.

FedupExpress

Fat Freddy probably has the DOL bought out, have you been in there before?

It's like 1960, paper and pencil with little old ladies handling the documents.

Get a lawyer if you got a case.

MassWineGuy

It’s not so much about me, since my SM has ruled that I shall get my OT in this case. Must remember to kiss her feet later.

It’s that the policy is an official part of how we do things. When I told our ops mgrs, none knew about this. The one who does Saturdays said it would make it harder to get people normally off that day to help out.

FedUp, are the drivers suing because of this?

Commercial Inside Release

Legal advice as to the manager breaking laws.
As far as suing goes... You might have a case if it is like $40k+, otherwise it won't be worth it. (No lawyer will take a case that doesn't pay.)

If you are too busy and want to just wing it, file a claim with Office of the Attorney General's Fair Labor and Business Practices Division in Massachusetts. I only suggested free legal advice, because your employer won't exactly be pleased going to a hearing. You might want to be sure, before you do file.

Office of the Attorney General's Fair Labor and Business Practices Division is NOT the Dept of Labor.

Dept of Labor is useless for individuals. It is policy level for the executive branch. Unless you appeal a case all the way to the supreme court, and there are congressional hearings about it, you will never interact with the Dept of Labor.

UPS board is a bad place for wage claims... The average UPSer is clueless, as well as most of the union, since they have different rules; some different laws; and different governing bodies. (Plus, tons of confusion.)

MassWineGuy

Not sure, but I believe my state A.G.’s office has a pretty good unfair labor practices unit. I just want to bring FedEx’s policy to their radar and see where it goes. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t shielded under some arcane law or regulation.

fedx

Extra Large Package

I used the DOL about 25 yrs ago and they got me my backpay. Wasn't for FedEx. But I would file a complaint with the DOL first. Getting a lawyer is a waste of money. Go pay a lawyer $1000 to get you $1000 the company owes you. He's talking about working on his day off and not getting OT for it. You're talking about the company owing him probably $200-$300. Unless the lawyer is willing to help him for free, it's not worth getting a lawyer. Let the DOL handle it.

Last edited:

purpder

It's a :censored2:ty policy for a :censored2:ty company but it is in the "People's manual" which can be accessed easily by the employee and their manager. I'm guessing the new time clock thing saw you punched in after your "scheduled time" and you got screwed

fedx

Extra Large Package
I’m absolutely, positively not hiring a lawyer.

I was responding to FedUpExpress who said get a lawyer. Not sure why it responded to my original comment. Let the government agencies work on your behalf for free instead of hiring a lawyer using your own money. The Dept of Labor will handle it for you. Just tell them you we ok'd by your boss to start at 1500, so that shouldn't be a factor in not paying you.

bacha29

This will continue to go on for as long as the American workforce will allow it to continue.