Obama fails yet again...

Leave Iran up to the Nato or even UN.
Haven't you learned a lesson, yet ?

So do nothing? That's what we are doing.

As far as unemployment goes, we are at 8.6% too.
Thats a worldwide thing.

I thought it was a Bush thing.

Got to find better ways to produce things cheaper.

China?

I do believe in the green energy technics, Obama had planned.
Now, thats something to invest in (and create jobs) .

GE and China?

island1fox

Klein,
Missed again ! I am talking about Obama setting the right example --not you.
Obama thinks its all about him --you think its all about you ??????

diesel96

Once again, conservatives show their true colors as fake patriots towards uniting America. One would think, and be in total support that any US city landing an Olympic event would be very beneficial to that area and surrounding communities. But nooooo.......Politicizing has now taking a front seat to these sore losers that cheerleading events that regress positive American opportunities as a common pratice......This is precisely why, the GOP has no future or leadership in the next few election cycles.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/02/conservatives-revel-in-ob_n_307794.html

To anybody supporting Sen John Bonher and the rest of his Rep trolls making a stink about Pres Obama going to Copenhagen when he has business here is just plain garbage political rhetoric. In this day and age of Communication and high tech capabilities, one would think the Pres is well aware whats going on even flying at 35,000 ft......

klein

Für Meno :)
Once again, conservatives show their true colors as fake patriots towards uniting America. One would think, and be in total support that any US city landing an Olympic event would be very beneficial to that area and surrounding communities. But nooooo.......Politicizing has now taking a front seat to these sore losers that cheerleading events that regress positive American opportunities as a common pratice......This is precisely why, the GOP has no future or leadership in the next few election cycles.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/02/conservatives-revel-in-ob_n_307794.html

To anybody supporting Sen John Bonher and the rest of his Rep trolls making a stink about Pres Obama going to Copenhagen when he has business here is just plain garbage political rhetoric. In this day and age of Communication and high tech capabilities, one would think the Pres is well aware whats going on even flying at 35,000 ft......

Not only that, the pres, didn't go to Copenhagen for the Olympics... he took another day there, to promote it.
Copenhagen was a G20 meeting, - he was there anyways !

Like I said. Nothing he does is good. Gets critizied for everything.
I never seen American politics this dirty ever before.
And it will make history, too.

tieguy

Banned
You need to agree on this one.
The Olympic Commitee has never placed Politics before the games.
(maybe behind secret doors, but offically, they won't have nothing to do with politics).

never? thought we boycotted on of those things?

klein

never? thought we boycotted on of those things?
Countries have boycotted them. Yes.
But not the IOC !
Olympics were still held !

Only Olympics missed were 1940 and 1944 (and maybe 1948 too), because of WW2.

Tieguy, a german living in America... keep your politics to Germany !
(edited after his following post).

And just a reminder: Canada is your largest trading partner, neighbor, and friend, and yes, american politics mean more to us, then any other country on earth.
No one , will disagree with me on that one.

tieguy

Banned
Not only that, the pres, didn't go to Copenhagen for the Olympics... he took another day there, to promote it.
Copenhagen was a G20 meeting, - he was there anyways !

Like I said. Nothing he does is good. Gets critizied for everything.
I never seen American politics this dirty ever before.
And it will make history, too.

waaaaaa obama is being picked on. Waaaaaa he is the only president to be such criticized.

Can you keep your naive commentary focused on canadian leadership?

Channahon

A blessing for the people of Chicago and Illinois, one of the most corrupt cities and states in the USA. The IOC didn't need to hear Richie Daley talking about how the Olympics will create jobs and help the city, nor did they need to hear that Barack, Michelle and their 2 girls can walk to the venue for opening and closing ceremonies. Their presentation was all about them, not the benefits to the athletes of the world.

Now Rio had the right idea, have a map of Olympics previously held, and none in South America, it was their turn, plain and simple. Rio is hosting the World Soccer Cup in 2012 and will have a lot of structure in place.

The city of Chicago pledged 4 billion to building the venues, Rio pledged 14 billion and Bejing spent 50 billion, and what a venue they had. No way would Chicago stay to a budget of 4 billion, as they can't manage the city budget, much less a budget 7 years out.

And the USA boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics, due to the war in Afghanistan with Russia, and now we are there fighting a war, go figure

JMO

ups1990

Come on Diesel. This was a poltical failure on a domestic and foreign front. Obama, made it a personal goal of his to have Chitown land the olympics. The Obama novelty has worn off in the states and the world is rejoicing at this defeat. Why go over there and again apologize for Americans? I wonder if Obama, Michelle and Oprah, will visit the relatives of the Chicago honor student slained in Chicago?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
And the USA boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics, due to the war in Afghanistan with Russia, and now we are there fighting a war, go figure

JMO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Lundquist

The 1980 US boycott was another failure of Jimmy Carter. I know this guy, Steve Lundquist, who along with a lot of other athletes, didn't make it to the Moscow games. "Lunk" did win two gold Medals in 1984 though.

diesel96

Come on Diesel. This was a poltical failure on a domestic and foreign front. Obama, made it a personal goal of his to have Chitown land the olympics. The Obama novelty has worn off in the states and the world is rejoicing at this defeat. Why go over there and again apologize for Americans? I wonder if Obama, Michelle and Oprah, will visit the relatives of the Chicago honor student slained in Chicago?

You really should try using a hy-phen when describing Chi-Town. Or is your Hatred for Obama, Ophra and Chicago that obvious. Listen, the world is not rejoicing Obama's IOC defeat, just the American Right Wingers are. So go ahead, applaud, hoot and holler and support those in cheering America's (not Obama's) bid loss, in generating revenue and jobs down the road for many Mid-Westerners.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Except for Salt Lake (thanks Mitt) I am under the impression that the Olympics cost a lot of $$$ and actually lose $$$ for the host city.

Chicagoans didn't want to be the venue. Even OPRAH couldn't swing it and she's like God in Chicago.

At least Rio can have plenty of new pickpocket targets....

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Besides potential construction jobs (question is, what do you do with the structures after the Olympics leave town?), most of the jobs created seem to me to be minimum wage crap jobs. Like most tourist type jobs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Besides potential construction jobs (question is, what do you do with the structures after the Olympics leave town?), most of the jobs created seem to me to be minimum wage crap jobs. Like most tourist type jobs.

I live about an hour away from Lake Placid, NY, which hosted the 1980 Winter Olympics ("Do you believe in miracles?"). Jim asked what you do with the structures after the Olympics leave. Well, the dorms where the athletes lived is now a minimum security prison. The venues remain and are used for national and international competitions and are open to spectators. The bobsled and luge runs are open during the summer when they use bobsleds with wheels and let people experience what riding in a bobsled is like ($60 each person for a 1/2 mile ride--kids and I did it for free and it is really cool). The kids both also played hockey on the same rink where the miracle took place and both skied/snowboarded down Whiteface Mtn.

Jim is right in that most of the jobs created are service sector jobs.

Property owners made a killing renting their houses.

I was not w/UPS in 1980 but the older drivers have told me that it was a PITA. They had specified delivery times where they were allowed to be in the villlage, which was early in the morning. Traffic was a nightmare.

I don't find fault with what Obama tried to do but I think the outcome was decided long before any presentations were made. As an athlete I think it would be pretty cool to go to Rio for a few weeks. Chicago...not so much.

klein

I live about an hour away from Lake Placid, NY, which hosted the 1980 Winter Olympics ("Do you believe in miracles?"). Jim asked what you do with the structures after the Olympics leave. Well, the dorms where the athletes lived is now a minimum security prison. The venues remain and are used for national and international competitions and are open to spectators. The bobsled and luge runs are open during the summer when they use bobsleds with wheels and let people experience what riding in a bobsled is like ($60 each person for a 1/2 mile ride--kids and I did it for free and it is really cool). The kids both also played hockey on the same rink where the miracle took place and both skied/snowboarded down Whiteface Mtn.

Jim is right in that most of the jobs created are service sector jobs.

Property owners made a killing renting their houses.

I was not w/UPS in 1980 but the older drivers have told me that it was a PITA. They had specified delivery times where they were allowed to be in the villlage, which was early in the morning. Traffic was a nightmare.

I don't find fault with what Obama tried to do but I think the outcome was decided long before any presentations were made. As an athlete I think it would be pretty cool to go to Rio for a few weeks. Chicago...not so much.

And I got to experince the Wintergames in 1988 in Calgary. One of the best times of my life.
Calgary Flames got a nice new hockey rink out of it (saddledome).
The Olympic Oval at the Univeristy, still very much used, as well as a training center for new Olympians and Speedskaters.
Same thing with the bob and luge runs here, and as attraction.
Ski jump, thats kinda nasty white elephant.
But again, used for training.

And having those Olympics paid out big time.
Was also the most successful Olympics ever. They walked away with a few hundred million in surplus !
Back then Canada only got 3 medals total or something low like that.
Now, with all the training facitities, we could easily win it all.

The Olympic Villiage (which was awesome - built on a hill), was sold as condos.
I hear Vancouver, those will be social housing.

But, you did forget the high paying construction jobs !

But, there can always be that major downfall, I believe Montreal is still paying for it's 1976 Summer games !
(back then not enough sponsors, money wasn't like it was just a few years back).
And getting high paying sponsors in this climate... maybe best Chicago didn't get them.

And could you imagine the huge security costs alone ?
Besides, as odd as this may sound, but Brazil has more money.

Last edited:

ticoo

In our economy all this obama does is spend money. He takes his family all around the world on our dime. He says there is business there. But the way the world thinks of us he can go anywhere bring his family call it business. Everytime his family goes we as tax payers spend all the extra money for 3 shifts of secret service people for each person. plus all assts. and so on. I heard it cost us $63,000 per hour for the president to go anywhere. When he first took over he was traveling with 500 plus people now we lug alot of boxes to feed our family as so on I am tired of lugging for a president that gonna kill our country and not be around to take the blame in 5 or 10 yrs when our grandkids have to pay back his ridiculous debt. I for one will never back a person for office just because the union says so. Quite frankly what does the union know about whos best.

ticoo

Im sorry i am all worked up now. Obama was voted for his .... and bidens supposed expierience but lately all we have is criminals running our gov. from the kenedys on down. i think everyone in gov should have term limits 2 or 4 yrs period . We have a good ol boy group running our country and its gotta stop. Im sorry to all about my tyrad i will leave obama and politics alone for know

wkmac

Are those jobs really a true economic boom in the long run? Some of your point I do believe.

See Bastiat's Broken Window Fallacy to get where I'm coming from.

Atlanta built an awesome Olympic stadium but was not sustainable in that format after the Olympics was over. Stadium at more cost was downsized to a baseball field. Other venues around Olympics never fully materalized as dreamed or failed to do anything beyond the games themselves. However, the growth boom from and after the Olympics have stressed the metro Atlanta infrastrcture and was no more manifest than in 2007' when the drought hit crisis mode. Also stimulated a housing bubble too with an extra supporting cast in Uncle Sam.

:wink2: