October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Sunday, I will be in Green Bay with my Godson. He is a Die Hard Bronco Fan from birth. This is his first opportunity to see the Broncos play. His first NFL game, live, in person at Historic Lambeau Field on the 50 yard line behind the Visitor Bench.

He knows it will be a Pink Sunday.
He wants to know when it will be a Turquoise Sunday for Ovarian Cancer for Patrick's Mom or an Orange Sunday for Multiple Sclerosis.

I quickly held back a tear because I knew he could hear tears over the phone.

He said,"I will just need to make it happen."

After a pause, I said, "We could make it Orange for Neurological, not just MS. We could start in New Orleans...remember that player from Sunday...honorary Captain at the coin toss...NO Saint Steve Gleason. Gleason now has ALS also know as Lou Gehrig's disease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIGgBhNtOP4&feature=related

He agreed and added...now we need to take care of Patrick's mom.

I can't wait because Frankie will make it happen.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Teal was the month of September.

CancerSucks.jpg

What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the spirit

old levi's

blank space
I have to side with the city on this one. The driver could have shown his support by simply wearing a pink ribbon or something less showy. I would think that the city has a uniform policy for it's employee's and he violated it and should be disciplined for it.

Everything is either black or white for you, isn't it?
Don't you realize there's a thousand shades of gray between those two extremes?

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
That means he hasn't changed a bit in the last two years!

Actually, sometimes it is hard to see inside the hard exterior.
Perhaps, he has become more jaded.
I can tell you that he would be the first to break out of line to lend a stranger a hand if they fell...

moreluck

golden ticket member
OK, I have a comment, observation. A few days into September, I posted that September was Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month.......it sat there the entire month with no comments. Today, AJ makes you aware that Oct. is breast cancer awareness month and there are already 3 pages of comments.

Ovarian cancer is considered to be one of the deadliest of the female cancers.
It is the fifth leading cause of cancer deaths in women and frequently does not result in symptoms until the cancer has spread extensively. Less than one-third of ovarian cancers are detected before they have spread outside of the ovaries.

I know because of the great work by Susan B. Koman's sister that the pink ribbon and breast cancer awareness took center stage. Just remember we are all in this together and a cure for cancer is a cure for all cancers!
Awareness Ribbons

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
OK, I have a comment, observation. A few days into September, I posted that September was Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month.......it sat there the entire month with no comments. Today, AJ makes you aware that Oct. is breast cancer awareness month and there are already 3 pages of comments.

Ovarian cancer is considered to be one of the deadliest of the female cancers.
It is the fifth leading cause of cancer deaths in women and frequently does not result in symptoms until the cancer has spread extensively. Less than one-third of ovarian cancers are detected before they have spread outside of the ovaries.

I know because of the great work by Susan B. Koman's sister that the pink ribbon and breast cancer awareness took center stage. Just remember we are all in this together and a cure for cancer is a cure for all cancers!

Awareness Ribbons

I pulled this thread from the past.
I am spending more time online today because I am sick.
I am fighting a fever that is causing me to walk with a cane.
I am fighting the desire to feel sorry for myself.

I would never pass up Ovarian Cancer and I apologize if I missed your post.
We lost my cousin's sixteen year old daughter to Ovarian Cancer in 1998.

Perhaps one of the gifts the PINK ribbon provides is an awareness to FEMALE CANCERS (men can be struck with BC, too.).
In that awareness, yearly pap smears, may also bring or catch some very early Ovarian Cancer.

Sara, my cousin's daughter, had no reason for a PAP Smear at 15 when the Ovarian Cancer was found.
She was a virgin and did not have her period yet.....

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's just sad sometimes that some cancers get more......research $$$.... than others. It's the old squeaky wheel thing. You're very right about men and breast cancer. It isn't just the bodacious tatas that get it.

I like to wear the cancer button that has the entire rainbow on it.
Sadly, there aren't enough colors to go around and some have to be used
several times. Orange is also kidney cancer......lost a friend in 2010 of kidney cancer......it was so fast.

Getting check ups is the key to all of them! Prevention is so much easier than treatment. I follow the blog of Noreen Frasier, a 10 yr. breast cancer survivor and it's spreading someplace new everytime she blogs. I've sent ideas to her and she responds each time. Here is her site and her blog is one of the choices at the site..... http://www.noreenfraserfoundation.org/about/noreens-story/ Take the time sometime to follow her story. She has somrthing to do with the Stand Up 2 Cancer.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think FOX had an interesting piece this morning on Breast Cancer Awareness month. The lady being interviewed said that this month we are innundated by 'pink'. The NFL, all the products in the stores, etc. She said to be aware that you are contributing to REAL cancer research.
Susan B. Koman, Stand Up 2 Cancer, etc. If you are approached to buy something pink and you aren't sure if the $ will really go to cancer research, ask the person for some info. on their organization or some financials. If they can't give you a site or some printed material, be very leery.
Anyone can put a pink ribbon on and sell something. Do the due dilligence and make your $$$$$ really count.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

She has a point. There is an older gentleman who sells military trinkets at one of our local grocery stores to raise money for veterans. I asked him what if any affiliation he had with the VA and he basically told me to get lost. I also happened to notice that he drives a brand new Chevy Avalanche. Makes me wonder just how much, if any, of the money goes to it's intended destination.

moreluck

golden ticket member
She has a point. There is an older gentleman who sells military trinkets at one of our local grocery stores to raise money for veterans. I asked him what if any affiliation he had with the VA and he basically told me to get lost. I also happened to notice that he drives a brand new Chevy Avalanche. Makes me wonder just how much, if any, of the money goes to it's intended destination.
If he gives 1% of his 'take', then it's OK in his mind, I guess. We have the lady dressed in a nurses uniform standing outside the grocery store with a jar for donations to foreign missions.....scam!

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Sunday, I will be in Green Bay with my Godson. He is a Die Hard Bronco Fan from birth. This is his first opportunity to see the Broncos play. His first NFL game, live, in person at Historic Lambeau Field on the 50 yard line behind the Visitor Bench.

Row 19 Lambeau Field

Best seat of my Lambeau Life - I had to give up.

Husband, Godson, Brother-in-law and Nephew are now attending the game.

All my guys will be in PINK !!! Three Packers and one Bronco!!