Off area Lunch

A

Anonymous Fredly

Fredly, so under your scenario when it is time for your lunch you must stop the vehicle where ever you are and stay there for 1 hour. It could be on a state 2 lane- highway, but since you "cannot drive the truck on break periods" you must pull over for 1 hour and eat nothing because you forgot your lunch that day? Is that what you are saying?

Man, you guys out there must have really pissed your management team off big-time:confused:1

No Apparently you misunderstand.
Take your break where ever you want(within your managements guidelines 1 mile 2 mile etc... )
at whatever time you want(within management guidelines)

Find your lunch spot, and go on break.

DO NOT go on break and then go find a lunch spot by driving the company vehicle while on break.

Like I said you cannot operate the vehicle while on break
DOT(IIRC) and Company regulations.
Go ahead get in an accident driving the truck while
on break, see what happens.

Just plan ahead...You usually know what's near where you will be between 11:30 and 1:30...Take your lunch then...If you don't or on an extended route stop on your way outta town and grab something.

browniehound

i start as soon as i exit the truck leave diad locked in truck you do not have to answer messages it is your time

Brownman,
Do you communicate in the diad with the center in the same manner as you post on 'brown cafe'? I ask this because if I was running the dispatch I would have trouble understanding what the heck you were trying to communicate to me and not know if I should send you help or not.:confused:1

Cole

If there is no where to eat then imho no, but if you're passing places you 'could' eat you should start it at that point, and end it there too, I think it's 3 miles here.

diesel96

No Apparently you misunderstand.
Take your break where ever you want(within your managements guidelines 1 mile 2 mile etc... )
at whatever time you want(within management guidelines)

Find your lunch spot, and go on break.

DO NOT go on break and then go find a lunch spot by driving the company vehicle while on break.

Like I said you cannot operate the vehicle while on break
DOT(IIRC) and Company regulations.
Go ahead get in an accident driving the truck while
on break, see what happens.

Fredly's right...drive to your lunch location....use bathroom(wash hands)..then clock in your lunch in diad.
Of course your on-road sups are going to instruct you to start lunch as soon as you break off area...and tell you your bathroom time is part of your break...thats to their advantage.You'll win that grivance eveytime.

Off area lunch,just grag a pkg from your fellow driver in the area you want lunch in...run the misload,,take lunch...don't make a habit out of it though

rebel

Anyone been told to take your diad inside for lunch? I think the reason is for the diad to be in a cool place. In my book this would be considered working. You are following instructions.

Across the country diad boards should shut down when on lunch...Then there is never any question about work being performed during lunch. My center started putting paid break in board. Have other centers had to do this?

Sammie

Dude here (when he was doing local work) and his co workers lost their jobs for a week (the union got them back on) when they were followed by mgmt one day and got busted for eating at a fast food joint a block or two from their area. Didn't matter that their area was all industrial and included nowhere to chow down at...

BCFan

Dude here (when he was doing local work) and his co workers lost their jobs for a week (the union got them back on) when they were followed by mgmt one day and got busted for eating at a fast food joint a block or two from their area. Didn't matter that their area was all industrial and included nowhere to chow down at...
I sure hope they recieved back pay for that BS:thumbup1:BC

over9five

Staff member
"I thought lunch started after the wheels stoped rolling?"

We all meet for lunch in my town, so....

Lunch starts when the last man gets there!

browniehound

How can UPS management expect us not to drive the truck somewhere, at sometime to feed ourselves? Obviously there needs to be restrictions. We are humans for heavens sake, and can't always stop the truck at the beginning of the 4th hour and just sit there for an hour if we didn't have time in the morning to pack a lunch.

I think driving 1-2 miles off area with our lunch starting as soon as we leave trace and ends as soon as we are back on trace is a reasonable scenario.

rebel

I had a center manager that instructed me to not break trace, not even a tenth of a mile. He said I could go across the road but that was it. A sup thought he had me and told me I was getting a WL for breaking trace. He never checked my del records and the egg was in his face. Most of the drivers in my center meet each other and break trace, I could have fought his retaliation and won but didnt because I was lucky and had five or six places to eat on my area. Nothing but a big game, just play it. I did get picky and gave him a few more head aches with grievances such as egress, sups working, sups wearing name tags and also once for a sup yelling for the drivers to get out of the building(respect). They dont expect us to yell at them do they. Just as it has been during my career that center manager is no longer here. I guess someone else is going to straighten us up.

Sammie

I sure hope they recieved back pay for that BS:thumbup1:BC

That would be nice but that's not how it works here.

No back pay when you're gone. In fact, in the last few years when a driver is involved in a fatality, even though the police don't issue the driver a ticket and law enforcement admits the driver isn't at fault, UPS terminates the driver anyway while an investigation is underway. During that time, the driver receives no pay for the months he's gone, and he also signs an agreement to no back pay when his return.

Despite the fact that the driver has to live with a fatality accident that wasn't his fault, it's a nice touch that he now has to take a big financial hit, as well....

over9five

Staff member
"During that time, the driver receives no pay for the months he's gone, and he also signs an agreement to no back pay when his return. "

You NEED to vote out ALL your Union officers. They are not doing the job you pay them to do.

over9five

Staff member
"You NEED to vote out ALL your Union officers."

In fact, why don't you post their names here so we can all know the losers who represent you.

Sammie

"You NEED to vote out ALL your Union officers."

In fact, why don't you post their names here so we can all know the losers who represent you.

Over,

Ahhh, the names of the nitwits who represent my husband and his co workers. I wouldn't mind personally wringing their little chicken necks myself if I could...There have been many years of pitiful representation.

But wasn't there something in the guidelines of joining this
forum that one will not target individuals by name when complaining?

And even if I did share who they were, I doubt if this forum
would have any affect as far as getting rid of their sorry a$$e$.

Plus, I'm not sure if there's anything in the contract that substantiates paying a driver or not when he's off due to an investigation...:confused:1