Off the clock questions.

542thruNthru

Im on 9.5 and over the last month my start time has been changed twice. I now start 20 min later than I used to. I have talk to my BA and he says they can do that if they want.

What's been bothering me is my ORS and center manager will stop me as I'm walking and begin to ask me questions about my numbers and other things. My question is can I refuse to talk to them until I am on the clock?

I'm usually at work about 15 - 20 min early because of dropping the kids off at school. I know some answers will be don't show up till your start time so I wanted to let that be known first.

CHALLY9TX

Ask for a steward if they wanna talk to you. As for them starting you 20 min later, just punch out 20 min later. Theyre trying to play games. You just gotta play the game better than them.

This is how you stop the harassment.
You tell them if you want to talk to me, my start time is changed till now.

On a funnier note. My buddy hated all supervisors. He carried flash cards in his pocket. He wouldn't speak to them. Drive them absolutely nuts.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
A couple of us always showed up early to change (we were old school and refused to wear anything other than the shirt off the clock). We'd get our boards, punch in and sit in the locker room yakking and bitching until the PCM.

Once or twice over the years, a supe would walk in to talk to one of us. Didn't turn out very well for the supe.

542thruNthru

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to make sure I could refuse to answer their questions unless on the clock. The pestering is getting annoying.

542thruNthru

Funny you say that. Lately they have been refusing to pick up the phone in our center. So everyone has been calling the 1800 number. Wonder how long until someone comes down on my center for that.

ManInBrown

Absolutely. Once in a blue moon they will try to talk to me a few minutes before the PCM. I just give them back a blank stare and tell them I don't talk for free.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Funny you say that. Lately they have been refusing to pick up the phone in our center. So everyone has been calling the 1800 number. Wonder how long until someone comes down on my center for that.
It won't happen. Customers are supposed to call the 1-800 number, not the center.

542thruNthru

It won't happen. Customers are supposed to call the 1-800 number, not the center.

I understand that. I mean I wonder if someone higher up will finally get sick of the 1800 number being my centers answering machine. So far 8 people have called the 1800 number to call out sick. All because they don't want to answer the phone hoping people will just show up.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I understand that. I mean I wonder if someone higher up will finally get sick of the 1800 number being my centers answering machine. So far 8 people have called the 1800 number to call out sick. All because they don't wanthink to answer the phone hoping people will just show up.
Misunderstood your post. My apologies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

542, do you have late pickups that are keeping you out late? Have they pulled off any or all of your NDA after changing your start time?

Someone earlier suggested that you simply punch out 20 minutes later. Is that an option with your air and ground pull times?

542thruNthru

542, do you have late pickups that are keeping you out late? Have they pulled off any or all of your NDA after changing your start time?

Someone earlier suggested that you simply punch out 20 minutes later. Is that an option with your air and ground pull times?

No late pick ups. I do need help with air most of the week because of the changes.

Because of the start time change yes I do now come in later. It has messed with some of my deliveries because I now get there much later. Like apt offices that close at 5pm. I can not make it to them in time now.

trickpony1

Upon clocking in, does your DIAD have a message on the screen saying, to the effect, "you can't start work until (your start time)"?

The feeder IVIS does.

Indecisi0n

They tried this when I was new. They would come up to me with papers asking me questions. I would continue to walk and act as though they weren't even there. I even had a sup "direct me to stop" but I kept walking. They got the hint real quick and no longer try to stop me off the clock.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Im on 9.5 and over the last month my start time has been changed twice. I now start 20 min later than I used to. I have talk to my BA and he says they can do that if they want.

What's been bothering me is my ORS and center manager will stop me as I'm walking and begin to ask me questions about my numbers and other things. My question is can I refuse to talk to them until I am on the clock?

I'm usually at work about 15 - 20 min early because of dropping the kids off at school. I know some answers will be don't show up till your start time so I wanted to let that be known first.
If any member of your management team approaches you before start time with work related questions or concerns, simply ask if you should punch in early to respond. If they decline just let them know you would be available after you are on the clock.
Additionally, if they want to speak to you about numbers or any other metric concerning production, use your Weingarten rights and ask to have a steward present.

BrownTexas

Unless you bid a route with a later start time and it was posted as such, this is blatant harassment. They cannot single you out and adjust your start time because you are exercising your 9.5 rights.