Offered Ft Utility Rt, but wasn't sure i could make the mold

tadpole

Utility drivers don't go through a 30 day qualification period like full-fledged FT package car drivers, and won't likely be DQ'd unless they hit something. They expect new utility drivers to be about 50% as effective as the veteran drivers.
Of course, they will increase your workload as you show you can handle it. You can worry about it not working out, or you can see that other people with no previous diad experience can get through it, so why not you?
It would be great for getting better at driving, backing, startup routine, package selection, etc. All that experience would help you to successfully qualify, if you ever tried for permanent FT package car driver. That experience could very well be the difference between making and not making it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Question if ya don't mind. If you got a choice; start in peak? or start in off-season?
Start when you can at first opportunity dude. No need to be scared, lifes about chances and timing of them chances. You have to go into it with a positive mind state. Of course theres going to be things in life your going to be apprehensive about, but life is about seizing the opportunity now, not later. Youll be fine dude. Any thing in life you want bad enough, youll make it happen and if you put your mind and soul into it, youll be successful. That's the attitude you have to have, fear is your friend not your enemy. Any fear in life you have, eventually you have to have the courage and drive to conquer that fear head on with no regrets knowing you took the chance on it. You don't want people who have less seniority than you stealing a good opportunity from you. Remember on this job SENIORITY IS KING, just remember that.

Utility drivers don't go through a 30 day qualification period like full-fledged FT package car drivers, and won't likely be DQ'd unless they hit something. They expect new utility drivers to be about 50% as effective as the veteran drivers.
Of course, they will increase your workload as you show you can handle it. You can worry about it not working out, or you can see that other people with no previous diad experience can get through it, so why not you?
It would be great for getting better at driving, backing, startup routine, package selection, etc. All that experience would help you to successfully qualify, if you ever tried for permanent FT package car driver. That experience could very well be the difference between making and not making it.
Really good to know about the Utility routes. My hub I only know veteran driver's and they always say Utility is bad (but they get used to their routines). Sounds like Utility is a good way to start actually. And your right, if others can do it w/o my experience, then why not me. Next time, I am going in head first, already ahead of the game!
Thanks for the reply

Obviously it would be best to have a few months under your belt before Peak starts. You didn't have that luxury and were asked to make a choice-----you made the safe choice (notice I didn't say "right" choice).
absolutely right. I made the safe choice. But I don't know if it was the wrong or right choice. Never the less, when I turned down the job I knew I could only afford to do that once. Next time I'm all in no matter the cards (shouldn't be very long).

Start when you can at first opportunity dude. No need to be scared, lifes about chances and timing of them chances. You have to go into it with a positive mind state. Of course theres going to be things in life your going to be apprehensive about, but life is about seizing the opportunity now, not later. Youll be fine dude. Any thing in life you want bad enough, youll make it happen and if you put your mind and soul into it, youll be successful. That's the attitude you have to have, fear is your friend not your enemy. Any fear in life you have, eventually you have to have the courage and drive to conquer that fear head on with no regrets knowing you took the chance on it. You don't want people who have less seniority than you stealing a good opportunity from you. Remember on this job SENIORITY IS KING, just remember that.
I definitely like your mentality. Next time I'm on the road, no matter the season. I have always known whenever I do it, I Will Be one of the best that the center has, no question. I cost myself time waiting for pieces to fit together because I knew I could with my seniority, but I know that is something I cannot afford to do again.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I definitely like your mentality. Next time I'm on the road, no matter the season. I have always known whenever I do it, I Will Be one of the best that the center has, no question. I cost myself time waiting for pieces to fit together because I knew I could with my seniority, but I know that is something I cannot afford to do again.
Gotta do what you gotta do soldier, get her done for yourself. Lifes not a challenge if it comes easy, that's the whole idea of it. You should always challenge yourself in some aspect of your life, if you aren't you aint livin. Its like going through life without a purpose, that aint no fun.

One year, helping; peak (I'm not just a helper btw) I got bit by a dog in the nuts. No joke. Finished my shift, and returned to work the next day. Everyone thought I was 'nuts'.
Anyways cue any messed up experiences, and of course bad jokes. years later it's still hilarious and I promise you; nothing gets your rep built up like something like that. Start shoving those dog treats down your pants cause you will likely gain some serious infamy. I definately did.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
One year, helping; peak (I'm not just a helper btw) I got bit by a dog in the nuts. No joke. Finished my shift, and returned to work the next day. Everyone thought I was 'nuts'.
Anyways cue any messed up experiences, and of course bad jokes. years later it's still hilarious and I promise you; nothing gets your rep built up like something like that. Start shoving those dog treats down your pants cause you will likely gain some serious infamy. I definately did.
tumblr_nbygiwEnvK1qhub34o5_400.gif
Thats hilarious lol