Oil

upsgrunt

What really happens at the Department of Energy? Wasn't it created in the 70's to lesson our dependence on oil? What have they been doing? What do all those thousands of people do at work every day that costs us a Billion a year? Whatever it is, it ain't workin.

bbsam

Staff member
What really happens at the Department of Energy? Wasn't it created in the 70's to lesson our dependence on oil? What have they been doing? What do all those thousands of people do at work every day that costs us a Billion a year? Whatever it is, it ain't workin.
I disagree. It is working. Our dependence on oil has decreased. But oil markets are world-wide so while we use less, China and India are using more. Or did you just want to complain about a government agency?

bbsam

Staff member
Does it really take that many people and that much money?
Cost benefit might suggest it's money well spent. How bad would the economy be if we simply left mpg standard up to the car companies and we never challenged them? Or didn't advocate for alternative sources of energy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never said there was.........people are just stifling the entire process.........R & D can always be going on, but we need to be drilling too for the fuel we use NOW........

You simply don't get it---there is a surplus of domestic oil. Increasing this surplus will not lower the prices at the pump--it will simply increase oil reserves. Oil speculators are controlling the price and gouging us at the pump.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Canada wanted the pipeline to our refineries to process the oil for export .
But we as a nation have for the last 10, 20 and 30 years been claiming that any new oil drill will take years to make it to market and have not done anything about it.
Oil is a natural resource , having been here longer than man has.
So instead of "kicking the can down the road " why won't somebody today make the choice to expand our production.
They could come out looking as winners is they only stated "we are doing this for the children. "

wkmac

Well, I just got back from the World's largest bank and they flat turned me down for a $500 million loan to build the world's largest home ever built. I told them under assets that I had $2303 billion undiscovered dollars and for some odd reason they told me that didn't qualify as being either real or provable. Gee, I don't understand what their problem is!