OJS Arbitration

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yup. Then the city or state of New York threatened to kick Ups out, so Ups reinstated all the drivers. At least that's what I remember reading.

Uh....no. Local elected officials and the general public basically shamed the company in to putting them all back to work. There was never any talk of kicking UPS out of NY.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
We're lucky in my local. We have 4 BAs that deal with UPS. 2 used to deal with UPS only now its only 1.

I love how management doesn't know the contract. I love to take advantage of it and point out when they don't believe me. It's actually helped me sometimes because I can say something is in the contract and they believe it when I'm exaggerating what it actually says. ;)

The contract being convoluted is a weak excuse for a arbitration though. They bring a lawyer to these things I believe and labor lawyers should understand this stuff. Also you've been dealing with it for months with meetings and hearings. You should have all your ducks in a row.

You just spoke the biggest truth. Most sups. and mgrs. have no idea what the contract really says. You can make an argument based on a bogus article and they usually back down BUT I would only use that tactic once. If they find out, they are less likely to believe later. Boy who cried wolf syndrome.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
First let me say I'd prefer this doesn't turn into a TDU vs IBT thread if possible, but I know how it goes so just do your best. ;)

This arbitration decision was sent to me by a couple different stewards in my building. I found it very interesting and being that I've only ever really read one other (688 9.5 arbitration) I felt others might find it informative as well.

I'm sure some of you may recognize the name of the member this case is about. I know I sure did. I feel reading this will be very eye opening to some members.

I look forward to hearing from some of you about this decision and hopefully some more information or insight from some of you that hold a elected position in our union.

I don't want to spoil anything right off the bat so I'll give my opinion on it later.

I wanted to read it twice before commenting on the arbitration. It seems that the Local didn't present it properly and relied on the companies inability to fire for standards versus providing facts on why the ride wasn't a "normal" day. It could have been that the arbitrator just wasn't getting it anyway, which happens. They could have used statements from loaders about sups adjusting the loads, less than normal dispatch records or statements, factors which allowed a quicker routine (pkg car in easier exit spot, told not to pre and post trip, better pkg car, holding doors or helping to carry, requiring to overload, any deviation from the normal routine). I ask all of my guys to do notes of the day after a ride(the night of) so it is easier the next morning. They always have something that they use from the ride before and it is easier to go point by point rather than from memory. It can also be used in the arbitration much like their OJS sheet. I have always been told that it is tough for an arbitrator to take away someone's job if all things are equal so it is the responsibility of the Local to offer all the arguments. In this case, they seemed to have offered one argument.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I wanted to read it twice before commenting on the arbitration. It seems that the Local didn't present it properly and relied on the companies inability to fire for standards versus providing facts on why the ride wasn't a "normal" day. It could have been that the arbitrator just wasn't getting it anyway, which happens. They could have used statements from loaders about sups adjusting the loads, less than normal dispatch records or statements, factors which allowed a quicker routine (pkg car in easier exit spot, told not to pre and post trip, better pkg car, holding doors or helping to carry, requiring to overload, any deviation from the normal routine). I ask all of my guys to do notes of the day after a ride(the night of) so it is easier the next morning. They always have something that they use from the ride before and it is easier to go point by point rather than from memory. It can also be used in the arbitration much like their OJS sheet. I have always been told that it is tough for an arbitrator to take away someone's job if all things are equal so it is the responsibility of the Local to offer all the arguments. In this case, they seemed to have offered one argument.

The real problem was;

Liam and Local 804, acknowledged (SPOHR) as a performance standard.

Rookies.

Over70irregs

How can you justify a driver who can run a 15.0 with company who then runs a 10.0 all by himself?
Messaged load, No bulk, sig vs no sig, hand truck, kids neighborhood, parking spot, driveway walks vs drive, apt floors, dr porch vs back door, inside time, biz front/rear, pickups, fuel, carwash, oil lights tire pressure check, DVIR, fire extinguisher, supplies, bathroom break, wash hands, breaks, lunch, hydration, seq numbers, walkways, pace. Just getting warmed up.....

Boston25

I would like to hear from the stewards or dedicated teamsters of this site. People like @sandwich @Boston25 @hondo @705red @wide load @PT Stewie @Bubblehead @Mugarolla @Inthegame @BigUnionGuy @Tony Q @Lead Belly @PiedmontSteward

I joined this site to learn and I have learned so much from these people and I have become a better teamster because of all of you. This is something members don't usually see (arbitration) I implore you to share your knowledge on this decision and (or) process.

View attachment 290909
I read the whole link multiple times. The Local didn’t really have their ducks in a row when it came to taking his case to arbitration. It also seemed to me that the company was playing the game and were out to get him and he just wasn’t playing it better and or didn’t know better. The fact that the local or even the steward entertained SPORH is a joke. I do think he was targeted for his activities but they just didn’t prove it well enough. I couldn’t believe the arbitrator ruled to uphold the termination. So many things that went wrong with this case.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Messaged load, No bulk, sig vs no sig, hand truck, kids neighborhood, parking spot, driveway walks vs drive, apt floors, dr porch vs back door, inside time, biz front/rear, pickups, fuel, carwash, oil lights tire pressure check, DVIR, fire extinguisher, supplies, bathroom break, wash hands, breaks, lunch, hydration, seq numbers, walkways, pace. Just getting warmed up.....

Save your breath.......all of those factors were in play during the 3 day production ride which set the SPORH.