OJS Arbitration

Over70irregs

How long have you been hiding behind the contract?
No hiding. The contract has its flaws but it’s our “union bible”. I stand on it and roll it up like a magazine and whack center managers and on-cars with it’s vocabulary. (Disclaimer: It’s too small and thick to stand or roll up but you get my meaning).

Inthegame

The real problem was;

Liam and Local 804, acknowledged (SPOHR) as a performance standard.

Rookies.
Those "rookies" running L804 at the time included President Howie Redmond. The BA involved was Tony Donato. Both had extensive experience with UPS and the L804 Supplement, and neither cared much for the grievant.

Anyway 542thruNthru, arbitration's are a crap shoot. Arbitrators that side too often with either the union or company aren't arbitrators very long. I've seen fool proof cases go sideways for no good reason and weak cases prevail.

Another dirty little secret is attitude is sensed by arbitrators and the grievant in this case was (and I suspect still is) a real dick. That observation was proven years later when he pulled his wildcat stunt, threatening the livelihoods of 250 members. It was further proven when it came out he secretly tape recorded every conversation he ever had with L804 E-board members and used out of context recordings to tank his benefactors (Tim S) re-election.

Now I'm not cheerleading for anyone, but what Liam did to the guy that hired him from the scrap pile is my definition of scum.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On a side note, all of you Joe Unions who say "the only thing that I have to sign is my paycheck" and proceed to write RTS on every piece of paper should know that the company has no qualms about laying each and every one of those pieces of paper on the table during your termination hearing. They would show what is called a "pattern" and would most certainly come back to bite you in the butt.

Here is my mental image of the Maspeth 250:

upload_2020-4-14_17-35-13.jpeg

542thruNthru

Those "rookies" running L804 at the time included President Howie Redmond. The BA involved was Tony Donato. Both had extensive experience with UPS and the L804 Supplement, and neither cared much for the grievant.

Anyway 542thruNthru, arbitration's are a crap shoot. Arbitrators that side too often with either the union or company aren't arbitrators very long. I've seen fool proof cases go sideways for no good reason and weak cases prevail.

Another dirty little secret is attitude is sensed by arbitrators and the grievant in this case was (and I suspect still is) a real dick. That observation was proven years later when he pulled his wildcat stunt, threatening the livelihoods of 250 members. It was further proven when it came out he secretly tape recorded every conversation he ever had with L804 E-board members and used out of context recordings to tank his benefactors (Tim S) re-election.

Now I'm not cheerleading for anyone, but what Liam did to the guy that hired him from the scrap pile is my definition of scum.

Thank you for the insight.

What'dyabringmetoday???

TDU always has "their" version.

But look what happened to Local 804. The Maspeth 250 (drivers) all received

a 2 week suspension, had to pay UPS $1.5 million (if I remember correctly)

and Tim S. lost his Local election and the subsequent position of running

for IBT General President.
This will never happen in my local- Pres/BA tosses every grievance so no worry about any covert actions against the company.

What'dyabringmetoday???

On a side note, all of you Joe Unions who say "the only thing that I have to sign is my paycheck" and proceed to write RTS on every piece of paper should know that the company has no qualms about laying each and every one of those pieces of paper on the table during your termination hearing. They would show what is called a "pattern" and would most certainly come back to bite you in the butt.

View attachment 291298
You are probably the last person that should discuss anything union related.

Inthegame

Meh.

Being the Union Chair for the Article 43 committee....

didn't help him from losing a Local election to TDU Tim S.
Being that very few L804 members ever appeared before the Article 43 committee, I wouldn't think it would matter. Maybe spending more time with ones own members might have been more prudent. But that's just a guess on my part...:wink2:

Overpaid Union Thug

View attachment 291298
The only pattern would be that said members refused to participate in an extra contract agreement which is a violation of the contract.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
First let me say I'd prefer this doesn't turn into a TDU vs IBT thread if possible, but I know how it goes so just do your best. ;)

This arbitration decision was sent to me by a couple different stewards in my building. I found it very interesting and being that I've only ever really read one other (688 9.5 arbitration) I felt others might find it informative as well.

I'm sure some of you may recognize the name of the member this case is about. I know I sure did. I feel reading this will be very eye opening to some members.

I look forward to hearing from some of you about this decision and hopefully some more information or insight from some of you that hold a elected position in our union.

I don't want to spoil anything right off the bat so I'll give my opinion on it later.

Two people summed this up perfectly as to why he lost.

Liam and Local 804, acknowledged (SPOHR) as a performance standard.