Old Package Truck

wornoutupser

One of my worst stories

I was badly bitten by a dog and spent two hours at the doctor.

As I continued my day I was driving my old Ford P5 down the highway and felt a hard pull to one side. I looked over at the trees to see where the gust of wind came from right as my front right tire, rim, and spindle flew off the truck!

God himself kept that truck from flipping as the frame hit the ground at that speed. About an hour later my wife drove by and saw a UPS truck in trouble having no clue it was me! She was 5 months pregnant.

My building only gets the worst junkers in my division. This one was fixed and later flipped severely injuring a Saturday air driver. Even after 3 drivers in a row refused to drive it again and all three wrote it up on the DVIR as unsafe to drive take it off the road, UPS sent her out in it. It would just go down the road and suddenly swerve to the right about 10 to 15 feet on its own. It did this with me on a OJS ride with me driving and with the supervisor demo driving later that day.

Just be glad that your junker is better than this!

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
Jeez. My PC in the 1980s was an old manual transmission 500 with 350k miles. The gear shifter had been welded dozens of times and broke off regularly. I had to push start it very often, so, if I could, I would park facing downhill. It was a great little POS. Fun to drive, great turn radius.

Just take your money and enjoy the ride...

ouanling

Little 500 workhorse I get has 380 and is working fine. Shakes a bit and shuts off randomly if I stick it in reverse but is overall fine. I love the turn radius the most on them.

Dumb new 22.4 though got in it one Saturday and wrote up all kinds of random * and now I have no keyless start and have to key my bulk head open now. Little *.

Even pissed in a damn can and left it on the upper shelves. Should of poured it into the seat of the car he was going out in next day.

the 500's are nuts. Ours are propane too. 80mph on the highway, tight tight turns and fast accelerations.

they shake super hard at high speed but for the city its amazing if you dont have bulks

Mine had no servodirection and i never reported it because i didnt want to lose it.

oldngray

nowhere special
the 500's are nuts. Ours are propane too. 80mph on the highway, tight tight turns and fast accelerations.

they shake super hard at high speed but for the city its amazing if you dont have bulks

Mine had no servodirection and i never reported it because i didnt want to lose it.
There were a lot of different models of 500. Ranged from really good to pieces of crap.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

I thought you Canadians were still driving those Checker cabs with the backseat removed

5C33677D-E022-40A8-B49B-CE37151BEFD8.jpeg

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I have 1 of the only 2 Workhorse wide-frame 1000s left in our building. Has 275k miles on it and rides (and handles) like an aircraft carrier but has so much more room in it than the newer Freightliner 1000s. I feel claustrophobic when they swap it out for routine maintenance. My dispatcher offered me a newer 1000 with one of the spinny UFOs on top but I politely declined.

DriverNerd

I have 1 of the only 2 Workhorse wide-frame 1000s left in our building. Has 275k miles on it and rides (and handles) like an aircraft carrier but has so much more room in it than the newer Freightliner 1000s. I feel claustrophobic when they swap it out for routine maintenance. My dispatcher offered me a newer 1000 with one of the spinny UFOs on top but I politely declined.
We have a couple left. Not very often I get to drive one, but every blip of the throttle sounds like I'm gunning for NASCAR. I hate the steering on them, but they go fast and hold a ton.

specter208

Have you driven those new package cars. Feel sluggish and downshift a lot for acceleration. They shift into 2nd gear really early and bog down.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Have you driven those new package cars. Feel sluggish and downshift a lot for acceleration. They shift into 2nd gear really early and bog down.

I have one. A 7xx series Freightliner 8 cube. Just cracked 1000 miles.

My boss got mouthy the other night because I wasn't willing to be a team player and come in Saturday (today) and started making little passive-agressive threats about taking it back.

I came right out and told the SOB he'd be doing me the favor. I have a major US Highway and a major state Highway on my route and I take my life in my hands everytime I need to pull out onto them. I've never - and I do mean never- been behind the wheel of a UPS package car with such poor acceleration. Not to mention the tight steering and the bulkhead door that constantly sticks.

If you had told me back in 2003 that someday I'd miss the old 1987 Ford's and GMC's that were prevalent in my building when I started I'd have laughed at you. But here we are.

DriverNerd

I have a major US Highway and a major state Highway on my route and I take my life in my hands everytime I need to pull out onto them. I've never - and I do mean never- been behind the wheel of a UPS package car with such poor acceleration. Not to mention the tight steering and the bulkhead door that constantly sticks.
Just think that tiny little bit of programming can make a vehicle completely unsafe. They're awful. Whenever I have to drive one and I'm sitting at an intersection where I yield to fast moving traffic I always piss off the people behind me because I have to have a much greater distance before I pull out into traffic. I'll sit there all day, I don't care, if it means not risking my life. But good for you UPS for saving 1/2 gallon of gas that day...it only risks my life.

Misery

The new trucks shift early and bog out but the way to fix it is you have to manually shift them. Put the shifter to 1 then move it to 3 and 3rd gear will take you to 65mph in the new trucks. Thats what I do in a brand new p1200 with 3k miles

DriverNerd

The new trucks shift early and bog out but the way to fix it is you have to manually shift them. Put the shifter to 1 then move it to 3 and 3rd gear will take you to 65mph in the new trucks. Thats what I do in a brand new p1200 with 3k miles
Yes, but some of them don't have 1, they have 2-4, or have 1 but the shifter won't go that low even though it's on there. We have some that are 2-4, but the shifter won't go into 2. All garbage really.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

Why do you need to drive 80?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Just think that tiny little bit of programming can make a vehicle completely unsafe. They're awful. Whenever I have to drive one and I'm sitting at an intersection where I yield to fast moving traffic I always piss off the people behind me because I have to have a much greater distance before I pull out into traffic. I'll sit there all day, I don't care, if it means not risking my life. But good for you UPS for saving 1/2 gallon of gas that day...it only risks my life.
The sad thing is, these idiots are not saving gas by tuning down the trucks. My old p7 with a 6.0 got 9.8 mpg. My new p6 with a de-tuned 6.0 won't pull a wet noodle out of a hog's ass and gets 8.4 mpg.