Old USAF Missile Bases

Big Babooba

Upstate's stomping grounds has a number of 1960's era Atlas Missile silos. Some have been converted to other uses including homes! I believe that they were the only missile sites constructed east of the Mississippi River.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
All around my house

Missile Batteries
PH-23/25 Lumberton
PH-32 Marlton
PH-41/43 Berlin/Clementon
PH-49 Pitman
PH-58 Swedesboro

Command & Control
PH-64DC Pedricktown (AADCP)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just think of all of the resources wasted simply due to our fear of a regime which no longer exists.

Just think of all of the citizens of that regime forced to live in poverty as their resources were also wasted on this same fear.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When we used to live in Idaho Falls, Idaho there were silos all over that state (we were told). Also, always thought that for such an inland state, it was odd to have so much Navy.

The 4-plex we have there is always renting to Navy guys/families.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yup the star wars charade

This is way before Star Wars (Reagan?). We are talking Cold War, late 50's-early 60's.

I wonder how many of our younger members here have seen one of these?

shelte1.jpg

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Yes we had them in our school (basement section) . I also remember air raid sirens and there tests. There was also a model (full size) of a home air raid shelter built and on display at the main intersection in town across from the bank,bakery, drugstore and of course the local tappy.

bbsam

Staff member
Yup the star wars charade

Speaking of that charade, we had one going on here at the Rock Island Arsenal. Story goes that the US knew when Soviet spy satellites were over the arsnal and for that time a large tarp would be unveiled symbolizing the size and shape of certain missile/weapon systems. Easily moved around to keep them guessing what was happening, but all a ruse. However, there is a building there with huge blast doors and extremely wary fully armed military police in the basement. Not sure what happens there but positive I don't want to know.

Big Babooba

Just think of all of the resources wasted simply due to our fear of a regime which no longer exists.

Just think of all of the citizens of that regime forced to live in poverty as their resources were also wasted on this same fear.
Could one say that the USA bankrupted the Soviet Union and forced its collapse?

klein

Für Meno :)
Could one say that the USA bankrupted the Soviet Union and forced its collapse?

Thats what many like to believe, but it's not true.
Communisum itself just doesn't work.
For example paying farmers to work from 9-5.
They didn't get paid by the crop, neither did they care.
Thats why the US and Canada kept selling Russia wheat.

They know longer have that problem, since the new free society (marketplace).

Yes, the nukes probably costed them money, but nearly not as much as it did the US.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Klein, to be fair, Communism in it's purest form does work. Communism as was in place in Soviet Russia failed miserably.
It might work in theory, but never in reality. I agree that communism in the USSR, just as in pretty much every other "communist" country, is communism in name only. In reality they are simply dictatorships.

bbsam

Staff member
One can not say that the United States is pure capitalism either. Communism Chinese style seems to be on a roll.

klein

Für Meno :)
I'll tell you from my Cuba experience. The hotel staff, including bar tenders, waiters, restaurant workers, don't even work or walk half the speed the Mexicans did.

They get jobs assigned by the government.
And to work in a resort, they probably have political ties with friends or relatives (because they do get good tips), that they actually need to give back to the resort and 75% of all tips the resort keeps, the remaining 25% goes divided to all staff.

Thats why if you ever visit there, do it like me. I filled a whole 2nd suitcase with presents, such as school items, nutella, candies, etc.
They get to keep all gifts themselves, and you'll get the best service ever.
I correct that, much better service - still slower then mexicans !