Older People Are More Prejudiced - And They Can't Help It

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

A new study suggests that as older adults lose their inhibitory ability - the capacity to suppress unwanted or irrelevant information - they find it difficult to disregard their own stereotypical or prejudicial thoughts.
The result is that older adults are more likely to think and express prejudicial thoughts, even when they want to be non-prejudiced and are reminded to ignore stereotypes.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Cheryl, this seems very true......I thought I was more outspoken now because I can see by my age that I'm running out of time and I speak my mind now to get it all out.

I've held things inside for years and it's a relief to "unload".:sneaky2:

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I think it's true for me too.

Bad driver? Angry woman? Rude new poster? I catch myself stereotyping them.

This must explain why...

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Yeah,

l know why you started this thread...Well it's not going to work!!!

To hell with you... I can't help it!!:mad:

:biggrin::biggrin:

DS

Fenderbender
Family feud?:yinyang: Its funny you should bring up this subject because my wifes son is in college and his opinions on predjudism sound like he is Martin Luthor King reincarnated,and he's white.I think the older you get,the more entitled you are to think whatever the hell you want.I also believe that unless you are the CEO of some huge corporation or the President,it really doesn't matter what you think.

satellitedriver

A new study suggests that as older adults lose their inhibitory ability - the capacity to suppress unwanted or irrelevant information - they find it difficult to disregard their own stereotypical or prejudicial thoughts.
The result is that older adults are more likely to think and express prejudicial thoughts, even when they want to be non-prejudiced and are reminded to ignore stereotypes.
I guess I am the loose screw in the works.
I am less outspoken now, than I was in my youth.
(I know, Y'all have read my posts and thought I had a loud mouth, but you should have heard me sound off back then.)
This part of the study;
- the capacity to suppress unwanted or irrelevant information -
sums up my old age philosophy.
PAX