OMG Has peak started?

Lobofan5

Just came home from preload.. I cannot get over the increased volume of packages.

This my friends..is going to be a hard peak.:sad:

Ucfmanic

This will be my first peak season, our center has actually slowed down and cut hours due to the hiring of new hires to cover peak, but the past two days, I have worked on two different PD's and the belt lines have been blown out from start to finish.

Pollocknbrown

ha ha, PD 1/2 in my hub (Trucks due for niagara falls, texas, florida, and mid-atlantic states) are ALWAYS blown out, regardless of how many people are in the PDs or unloading/ sorting, In my 5 months of being there, i havent seen that belt not stop during the night. Doesnt exactly help when they refuse to put a loader in the texas truck(s). They just let them build up and then take people out of their trucks and have them load texas then send them back to w/e they have to do, even tho the area is staffed to have at least one person per truck.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It started officially for me today. I got my Helper. We ran 100 stops in four hours together, thats 25 SPORH compared to my usual 17.7 I do myself. The stop density still isn't there yet, we should do 30-35 per hour after Thanksgiving. The Supervisor told me to work her for two hours only, which is ridiculous. I called the OMS and kept her for four, and still had a 10.5 day. Normally I run 130 stops, it was 177 today.

When I came back to the building, I noticed about ten empty Package Cars that had sat there all day after some Cover Drivers got sent home. Its nice of the company to stick Helpers on Drivers in October so we can get worn out before Thanksgiving. I don't know who comes up with these idiotic ideas.:mad:

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I was told, a long time ago, that we don't hire helpers until Nov. 15th. I haven't used a helper before December EVER! Yet, you're right, by the time it hits the fan the last two weeks, I'm already fried.:confused:1 Down here in South Fla, the snowbirds are flocking in and stops are up. They always are this time of year. But help ain't on the way.

brown bomber

brown bomber
It started officially for me today. I got my Helper. We ran 100 stops in four hours together, thats 25 SPORH compared to my usual 17.7 I do myself. The stop density still isn't there yet, we should do 30-35 per hour after Thanksgiving. The Supervisor told me to work her for two hours only, which is ridiculous. I called the OMS and kept her for four, and still had a 10.5 day. Normally I run 130 stops, it was 177 today.

When I came back to the building, I noticed about ten empty Package Cars that had sat there all day after some Cover Drivers got sent home. Its nice of the company to stick Helpers on Drivers in October so we can get worn out before Thanksgiving. I don't know who comes up with these idiotic ideas.:mad:

Bloodybrown

You are right Scratch. October is a time to lower the dispatch so drivers are well rested for peak. Helpers are ok to, as long as they are used to lower the dispatch and get trained early. Giving drivers a day off if they want it at this time of year is a good way to train seasonals early and help drivers get time off if they want it. What is going on where your at is not the right approach in my opinion.:thumbup1:

LKLND3380

Just came home from preload.. I cannot get over the increased volume of packages.

This my friends..is going to be a hard peak.:sad:

I was told our center is not going to do early start times unless the really REALLy have to...

Blow out the belts and stack out the egress:thumbup1:

Always nice to go on break around 6:45 and find out there is 800% left plus airs...

Pollocknbrown

I was told our center is not going to do early start times unless the really REALLy have to...

Always nice to go on break around 6:45 and find out there is 800% left plus airs...

800%? so u have 8x your original amount of work left after you start???:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1 ha ha:laugh::laugh::laugh:

wornoutupser

Hey Lakeland,
From what I was told we have not seen ANYHING yet!
The entire division is now being dispatched through Orlando. The managers are not allowed to ad runs-or helper hours-without Orlando approval. The suits are furious. Micro management at its best!
Could this be the payback for Orlando being one of the lowest profit operations last year?

Fredless

APWA Hater
Could this be the payback for Orlando being one of the lowest profit operations last year?

And after the praised Central Florida on UPSers for hiring the most helpers in the country. Peak was not bad last year, almost EVERY driver in our hub had a helper, for at least 4 hours. It was their goal to get every driver in by 9pm last peak, and for the most part it worked. I remember them saying for this year, every driver will be in by 8pm.

Guess thats out the window in order to bring up profits.

W

westsideworma

Always nice to go on break around 6:45 and find out there is 800% left plus

800%?!!? good god man thats crazy! We average 400% after break at the most currently.

FromBluetoBrown

Its actually been a little light these past few weeks here. There have been a few nights where I go on break at 3am and come back at 4 to start loading my trucks and find out that we have been out of work since 330 and the next feeder isnt due for another 45 minutes.

LKLND3380

800%? so u have 8x your original amount of work left after you start???:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1 ha ha:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Each full trailer is 100% so when you start at 4:20 and they tell you we have 2050 that would be 20 full trailers and 50% of another...

So at 6:45 you go on break for ten minutes and find out there is 800 left... So in 2:25 the unload blew out twelve and a half trailers...

Now the Supes like to blow out the belts for the first hour and run 6 on 6 which is 6 unloaders to 6 sorters. The second hour they may run 5 on 5 and have some one do tape ups and irregs... Occasionaly a supe will jump in the back of a trailer and unload with another supe sorting so they have 7 on 7 going... This is a big NO NO as supes can not do hourly work BUT the supe tells them if we get through 12 trailers by break there will be gatorades, McDonalds for them the next day...

So they work like animals and send the wrong packages down the belt and cause a pile of mis sorts at the end of the belt. Plus it is near impossible to split the ins and out on the belt because you have a two foot pile packages going down the belt and that equals missed work. Now the people who can grab their work often get hit and pile the work outside the package car and that leads to egress issues...

Now when you ask a supe why we are starting at 4:20 and have 2050 they say it is because they wont allow us more time...

Then when 7:45 rolls around there may be 200% and waiting for airs to arrive at 8:20 they start sending people from the unload home. Never mind supes did hourly work, The guys in the unload are happy because they get out of work early and get food the next day during break.

So each person they send home equals $8.50 an hour but they are rewarded with a $1.50 Gatorade OR a $2.00 Sausage biscuit..:thumbup1: