On road Observations

swing_drv

Our center manager told us. Since our District has so many accidents they have to do 1, on road observation per day. Now we have to worry about them following us and catching us doing something wrong. Anyone else have this going on?

abbear

They do that all the time out here. Video and everything. So this is where you show them you use all the correct methods at every stop. That does several things for you. 1) you stop worrying about them watching you because they won't catch you doing much of anything wrong. 2) When they call you into the office over production you can tell them based upon their own observations your methods are good. Which method do they want you to ignore?

If you spot them following you call the center and tell them you are being followed in a suspicious manner and are worried about a possible robbery. Ask if they want you to call the police. Don't go overboard with this - just have a little fun.

But I have found that if they know you are doing your methods they won't waste their time on you. There is always some other driver who can't be bothered by proper methods. You probably know several of them. Thank them for keeping the sups off your back!

SmithBarney

Don't worry they'll find something you did wrong, otherwise
if they turn in "perfect" observations... they'll get reemed out
for obviously lying, cause if all their rides were perfect they wouldn't
have accidents... ;) in the eyes of those who don't actually see what happens

local804

In our district UPS has gone to the extreme of having BD follow drivers and issue reports to the BM. Besides BD the center manager usually rides around in his Lexus and follows drivers with LP. The FT sups install meters inside your reverse lights to clock how many times you go in reverse. Usually the center manager gives you a toy for your child when he is done following you. He might make a comment or two how you should not have back up at such and such an address but usually they find nothing. They OJS and drivers use their methods and the drivers come in later with the suit on the truck, go figure. Just do your job the way they tell you and you will be fine.

canon

Now we have to worry about them following us and catching us doing something wrong.
Consider it a very cool thing your center manager did. He didn't have to warn you. Usually, there's no hint that one morning you'll end up in the office with your union steward and have to explain a bunch of pics where you're not using handrails, talking on phone, picking nose, leaving door open at stop etc. And it does happen.

If you work as though there is a supe with you, you'll never worry about one hiding in a parked car somewhere with a video camera. It's a long time until retirement. Odds are you're going to be caught at some point, so make sure there's nothing for them to see and you'll sleep better at night.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
When I was a helper, I saw the center manager on-road a few times. He did a safety audit on us but I don't know when it started. We were doing p/u's when I saw him. He tried to hide against his seat because he knew I'd seen him lol. Moral of the story: be aware of your surroundings and know that just because that Chevy isn't painted brown doesn't mean its not a member of management. -Rocky

Channahon

Use your handrail when getting off and on the car, use your seatbelt, use your parking break and keep your bulkhead and rear door locked when away from the vehicle. Should be fine.
Safety and Security are the issues here for you, UPS and the general public

local804

Looks like ivis on steroids for the package car. I still am waiting for UPS to address repeditive motions and the wear and tear on our joints. When they start making changes to make things more ergonimical to help our health, then I will beleive safety first. Like I said in past posts, its the UPS Health and Safety comitee, they just always forget to mention health.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

I know a driver that found out the hard way about about on area observations by customers security camera's. Pushing (kicking) boxes out of the passenger door was the customers beef. The video also revealed not backing before parking, not lifting with legs, etc. You all know how that meeting went! I guess the old saying "One picture is worth a thousand words" proved to be true.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
LOcal 804, I thought I heard a few yrs back that UPS no longer recognizes carpal tunnel, as a UPS Injury. It is caused from repetitive movement. Did I hear incorrectly?

Channahon

Local. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. The cameras installed in the package car were a negotiating item in a previous contract. And at the expense of UPS all package cars had cameras installed in them to aid the drivers when backing. I believe this was a safety concern by the teamsters for our drivers. Guess what, since the cameras were installed, backing accidents increased. Why, because the old days, of sticking your head out the driver's side are gone.

Now backing accidents may have decreased since then.

So, if UPS has the technology to monitor safety and security concerns, it's in the best interest of the employee and UPS.

Interesting comment regarding IVIS - can you give the board a comparison of the new technology as you see it?

local804

Tooner- There was a class action a few years back re: carp tunnel and I never heard anything else about it. The one person I knew that had that surgery, I do not see anymore. I guess its one of those things that you really dont look into unless you fall into the category. A few years back I didnt even think about retirement and never payed any attention to it, but now my ears are fully open.

Channahon- Yes, the cameras were installed per UPS-Teamster agreement and I think that was probably the best $300. per car UPS has spent. Now please correct me if I am wrong...Isnt it true that this agreement was infact due to a childs death? Could the death have been prevented if their was a camera on the car before the accident? I am 100% for safety of all my workers and myself. I want every single UPS person to be able to walk in their door the way they left it in the morning. Just my idea on safety has nothing to due with numbers, quotas, and total business plan bonuses. Do you think that the driver goes out looking to get hurt? I dont think you do and neither does the driver. If UPS wants to spend millions on sensors to tell them if a UPS employee has their bulkhead door open or if he was going in reverse for too long, so be it. I would rather them handle the real safety issues first.
1. 150 lb packages- Lets be serious
2. Diesel exhaust
3. 90-95 p1000- steps 23 inches (yes we measured)
4. Repetitive motions- how many times to you shift, enter car ect.
5. Ice - on roads or walkways there really isnt a safe way
6. Package car ventilation- Hot summer day after lunch 128 degrees( you guessed it, meat thermometer)
Did you know UPS has 2 times the national averege for osha reportable injuries?(reporting for light duty for 30 days- not osha reportable)

Channahon

Local,
Thanks for your response. And yes you quote many facts. Wasn't looking to get you fired up, just asking about the package car technology as compared to IVIS.

Don't you think it is a safety issue for the driver to leave the bulkhead door open? I can't tell you how many times, I have walked into a driver's car, while they were making a delivery and standing in the bulk area, and scaring the daylights out of them, upon their return. Or drove away with their package car when they left the keys in the ignition. The look on the drivers faces have always been priceless. Was I being a sneaky management person? No, just another UPS'er going home at the end of the day and making a point to the driver.

Heaven forbid, I was a thug or thief and the driver didn't make it home to their family that night.

And have I ridden with drivers - you bet. Have I trained drivers - you bet. Guess what, the methods are the methods, the job is the job, Have I had great rides - yes. Have I fixed preload - PAS problems - yes.

It just always seem a struggle with the Teamsters when implementing something as a company that benefit both UPS and the employee. Same thing when DIAD was implemented.

Oh- GPS - UPS will always know where I am. Don't you think they should? Why would a driver be somewhere they should'nt be?

local804

Chan,

I wasnt getting fired up, I actually enjoy posting with someone who actually knows what they are talking about, not thinks they know. After 9/11 I think the bulkhead door should be shut. I also think that the supervisors who are training the rookies should also close the bulkhead door to.(btw they dont) If I was trained with the bulkhead door open and seatbelt off every stop, dont you think it will be a hard habit to break? We had a driver whos alternator/battery was bad on his truck last summer. He was told(by a suit) to get a push start and dont turn off the truck for the rest of the day. The driver then taped they key in the on position so he wouldnt be tempted to turn it off. I am sure he isnt the first one to do this and I am sure people have heard about this happening before. Why is it allright to instruct this driver to keep his truck running allday but give a warning letter to another driver for not keeping his bulkhead door shut in a residental neighborhood?
Do you see where I am coming from? Take a minute and look at it from my point of view.

trickpony1

"Why is it allright........"

Because it makes management, in this case automotive, look good by preventing a roadcall/breakdown.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Chan,

We had a driver whos alternator/battery was bad on his truck last summer. He was told(by a suit) to get a push start and dont turn off the truck for the rest of the day. The driver then taped they key in the on position so he wouldnt be tempted to turn it off. I am sure he isnt the first one to do this and I am sure people have heard about this happening before. Why is it allright to instruct this driver to keep his truck running allday but give a warning letter to another driver for not keeping his bulkhead door shut in a residental neighborhood?
Do you see where I am coming from? Take a minute and look at it from my point of view.

That was me a few years back, I said what leave my truck running????? I had to wrap a big ole wad of tape around the key, so I wouldnt shut it off, habit ya know!!! Now I would get it in writing, then I just did what I was told to.

Channahon

Chan,

I wasnt getting fired up, I actually enjoy posting with someone who actually knows what they are talking about, not thinks they know. After 9/11 I think the bulkhead door should be shut. I also think that the supervisors who are training the rookies should also close the bulkhead door to.(btw they dont) If I was trained with the bulkhead door open and seatbelt off every stop, dont you think it will be a hard habit to break? We had a driver whos alternator/battery was bad on his truck last summer. He was told(by a suit) to get a push start and dont turn off the truck for the rest of the day. The driver then taped they key in the on position so he wouldnt be tempted to turn it off. I am sure he isnt the first one to do this and I am sure people have heard about this happening before. Why is it allright to instruct this driver to keep his truck running allday but give a warning letter to another driver for not keeping his bulkhead door shut in a residental neighborhood?
Local, I know where you're coming from. As a center manager I went through the same experience in Chicago. I was able to listen in on the conversation with Automotive, advising a driver to jump start his car. not wanting to go on a road call. I got up out of my office, walked down to Automotive, told them to get off their asses and go help my driver. What is right is right, was not an operator or driver problem.
In my years in management -what is fair is fair. If it were my driver's fault - we would have a discussion. Accountabilty is accountabilty. Everyone needs to do their jobs.
I can tell, you have the best interest of all involved, and don't take any bull**** from anyone.