"On Topic" Change... Real Change with Integrity

Integrity

Binge Poster
I didn't know how to respond to a typical management answer

Since you don't have a issue then there is no problem , I am talking about prevention but it's clear you don't care about safety until it happens and I thought safety was to prevent

It is clear that you don't care about anybody safety and only use this forum for your own personal agenda to stir up problems that can't never be fixed because of people like you
Typical management answer?

I do care and I do care about safety of employees very much.

The most reasonable control to safe guarding the employees from and preventing heat related illness and injury would be to air condition the facilities and and to air condition the vehicles.

You were however talking about reducing the work load.

If everyone followed the heat related illness/injury training to the letter and applied for all already established work reduction language then IMO things would definitely change regarding work load over time.

Unfortunately, both of these possible prevention measures would take something that I haven't seen for a long time from the supposed Union brothers at UPS or on the BC. Solidarity.

Integrity

Binge Poster
We have the DOK for preventing , we have so many safety things for preventing

But for some reason we can't figure out how to prevent the back of the truck being 130 , we can't figure out that giving preload more time can reduce the time spent in the back

So what does ups do come up with a stupid 19sec time frame for the door being open and it only becomes a concern in the summer months

Heat exhausting is a safety issue and the only thing being done is drink more water
This is not an accurate post.

To say the training is limited to drinking more water is just not right.

Training and knowledge has been given across the board about recognizing and preventing heat related illness/injury.

Within the training staying hydrated is only one of the means.

A few of the means have no regards for production, only for the safety and welfare of the employee.

A person can't blame someone else for their personal decision to not follow the specific training given for the prevention of heat related illness/injury.

10 point

Typical management answer?

I do care and I do care about safety of employees very much.

The most reasonable control to safe guarding the employees from and preventing heat related illness and injury would be to air condition the facilities and and to air condition the vehicles.

You were however talking about reducing the work load.

If everyone followed the heat related illness/injury training to the letter and applied for all already established work reduction language then IMO things would definitely change regarding work load over time.

Unfortunately, both of these possible prevention measures would take something that I haven't seen for a long time from the supposed Union brothers at UPS or on the BC. Solidarity.
The word "everyone" in this post is the key.
Good luck with that. Unfortunately.

I get it. Everyone needs to stop working and find a cool place to rest when feeling the effects of heat index exhaustion. Everyone.

Add to that the 9.5 language and the company will pull it's hair out.

This takes spine. Spine that's not readily apparent in most driver groups.

The lack of AC in PCs is a bargaining issue. That takes spine too. Good luck with that. Can't even get the straight trucks used for feeder runs equipped with AC. Who's fault is that?

Let's review:
1.) Work at a pace that keeps yourself cooler in high heat indexes. (Can't say "show down".) Take multiple breaks to cool off.
2.) Get on the 9.5 opt in list when you get violated the first week. File for every violation after that.
3.) Demand your local union address the AC and poor ventilation issue in 2018.
and...
4). Open all the doors at every stop to let cooler air flow permeate the rear area while you select packages. Close all the doors when you leave the truck.

That work for you?

Integrity

Binge Poster
The word "everyone" in this post is the key.
Good luck with that. Unfortunately.

I get it. Everyone needs to stop working and find a cool place to rest when feeling the effects of heat index exhaustion. Everyone.

Add to that the 9.5 language and the company will pull it's hair out.

This takes spine. Spine that's not readily apparent in most driver groups.

The lack of AC in PCs is a bargaining issue. That takes spine too. Good luck with that. Can't even get the straight trucks used for feeder runs equipped with AC. Who's fault is that?

Let's review:
1.) Work at a pace that keeps yourself cooler in high heat indexes. (Can't say "show down".) Take multiple breaks to cool off.
2.) Get on the 9.5 opt in list when you get violated the first week. File for every violation after that.
3.) Demand your local union address the AC and poor ventilation issue in 2018.
and...
4). Open all the doors at every stop to let cooler air flow permeate the rear area while you select packages. Close all the doors when you leave the truck.

That work for you?

Well Done!

Solidarity along these lines will definitely facilitate change.

The point is not for anyone to pull their hair out. The continued success of UPS is important to all.

The point is for employees to take proactive measures to see that the company does what they claim and are required by law to provide.

A safe work place.

Solidarity not selfishness is the key!

10 point

Well Done!

Solidarity along these lines will definitely facilitate change.

The point is not for anyone to pull their hair out. The continued success of UPS is important to all.

The point is for employees to take proactive measures to see that the company does what they claim and are required by law to provide.

A safe work place.

Solidarity not selfishness is the key!
They'll pull their hair out when employees actually quit cutting corners on safety issues and adhere to normal behavior that costs them money.
I got a talk with years ago for running 1.45 hr ov in high heat index. They told me I was the worst overallowed driver the day before. I told them I over heat easily and had to slow down. They weren't nice about it.
Hypocrites.

"Continued success" is about honesty, fairness, safety adherence, caring about employee's personal health, and profitability.
Continued success is now only about the bottom line. Accidents and injuries affect the bottom line. We're all just liabilities.
How else do you explain the jacked up stop counts in extreme heat indexes?
Greed.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
They'll pull their hair out when employees actually quit cutting corners on safety issues and adhere to
normal behavior that costs them money.
I got a talk with years ago for running 1.45 hr ov in high heat index. They told me I was the worst overallowed driver the day before. I told them I over heat easily and had to slow down. They weren't nice about it.
Hypocrites.
Everyone should follow training on what to do to prevent heat related illness/injury during their work day.

They should do this even if unfortunately production may suffer.

They should do this even if their management will not respond professionally to this compliance to the training.

Everyone wants the company to be productive but not at the expense of one employee and those that care about that employee.

Unity towards this end will go a long way to protect the workforce.

10 point

Everyone should follow training on what to do to prevent heat related illness/injury during their work day.

They should do this even if unfortunately production may suffer.

They should do this even if their management will not respond professionally to this compliance to the training.

Everyone wants the company to be productive but not at the expense of one employee and those that care about that employee.

Unity towards this end will go a long way to protect the workforce.
Reread my last edited post.
Unity is a million dollar word. Just as hard to find as well.
Not everyone is geared the same with regards to their resolve to stand in the face of stress and torment at work.
It's a nice thought, just not reality.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Reread my last edited post.
Unity is a million dollar word. Just as hard to find as well.
Not everyone is geared the same with regards to their resolve to stand in the face of stress and torment at work.
It's a nice thought, just not reality.
If unity is the million dollar word, then how can unity be improved in the local work group.

If unity is the foundation of the solution, then there will be no strong solution without unity.

Last edited by a moderator:

10 point

If unity is the foundation of the solution, then there will be no strong solution with unity.
You mean "without unity"?

Unity and resolve is cultivated by proven trust in the union hierarchy. Do they have your back? Do you trust the union to back you up when you stand on principle and test the waters in regards to your rights and your standing up for them.

If you don't feel that you have support you won't take the chance nor will many embrace martyrdom. The few people that do truly know that when you push the ship off from shore there's no going back.

Last edited:

In2Deep?

If unity is the million dollar word, then how can unity be improved in the local work group.

If unity is the foundation of the solution, then there will be no strong solution with unity.

You have to crawl before you can walk. First order of business is convincing drivers not to work for free before the PCM. I would like to see ALL drivers in the center(better yet building) meet in the morning in one specific area and refuse to discuss routes with management UNTIL YOU ARE ON THE CLOCK. You can go and grab your board first so you are clocked in and whenever it's time for PCM have all 40 drivers walk to PCM AS ONE!

That alone will have the management team talking once we leave the building and there is zero risk/downside.

Once all the drivers feel like they are part of something I feel it would be easier to convince them to doing what needs to be done to fix things.

10 point

You have to crawl before you can walk. First order of business is convincing drivers not to work for free before the PCM. I would like to see ALL drivers in the center(better yet building) meet in the morning in one specific area and refuse to discuss routes with management UNTIL YOU ARE ON THE CLOCK. You can go and grab your board first so you are clocked in and whenever it's time for PCM have all 40 drivers walk to PCM AS ONE!

That alone will have the management team talking once we leave the building and there is zero risk/downside.

Once all the drivers feel like they are part of something I feel it would be easier to convince them to doing what needs to be done to fix things.
Or staring at that Orion monitor for ten minutes prior to start time.

Integrity

Binge Poster

I meant the last 2 words to be without unity. Sorry, I put in to have it corrected.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Well done. I think it would facilitate positive change.

10 point

I meant the last 2 words to be without unity. Sorry, I put in to have it corrected.
We got it. We all post errantly at times.
The thread is about adhering to safe work methods without wavering.
Reality is we work with people who, until they get hurt, run like raped apes.
There's no one loading their trucks off the clock here. The only one that did in the last twenty years was one special driver who went into management. Good riddance.

Although I believe some people strive to have integrity the culture propogated in this company is ugly and disgusting and destroys morale and makes for a dishonest malicious culture and work environment I'm so disgusted with it and I've been on those conference calls with district and region Mangers screaming and cursing at full time and part time managers what the hell do they think they are creating. The safety innitative is nothing but a cost reducer to publicly mask the ugly culture. Real change need to come from the top. Yes it's a business but people deserve to be treated with respect regaurdless of company difficultys

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
This is not an accurate post.

To say the training is limited to drinking more water is just not right.

Training and knowledge has been given across the board about recognizing and preventing heat related illness/injury.

Within the training staying hydrated is only one of the means.

A few of the means have no regards for production, only for the safety and welfare of the employee.

A person can't blame someone else for their personal decision to not follow the specific training given for the prevention of heat related illness/injury.

I just go inside and turn the a/c down a bit

Sometimes I'll even make a big glass of iced tea if it's real hot
:cool-very: