(On Topic) Feeder driver loses life on I-80/I-94 near Chicago

brett636

Winter weather conditions has lead to the loss of a brother in brown. Word is he broke down and was in the process of putting out the reflective triangles when a bobtail kenworth clipped a UPS Freight set during a lane change which eventually lead to our driver being pinned beneath both his tractor and the rear axle of the kenworth. Stay safe out there guys as you just never know what dangers may lurk out there on the roads...

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1420895387.342039.jpg

brett636

I-80/-I94 is a main artery into Chicago in NW Indiana. It is a very large very busy interstate and our driver experienced a mechanical problem causing him to pull over to, what I am going to guess as, the nearest shoulder he could get to so that he didn't end up stopped in the middle of this busy, ice covered, roadway. In either case nobody pulls over to the side of a roadway expecting to lose one's life regardless of what side of the road he was on.

Last edited by a moderator:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
yes. all it takes is an instant. I was putting on chains one night and a car slid towards me and I dove under the trailer.

prayers are going out right now.

trickpony1

Post #1 said "Winter weather conditions....."

Post #12 had a picture clearly showing snow and ice on ground.

The traffic was probably "bumper to bumper" and, likely, at a complete stand still. I'm sure there were a number of other vehicle, large and small, in that lane.

Packmule

A UPS driver was killed and a Chicago trucker was ticketed following a three-truck crash - Chicago Sun Times

The Elkhart-based UPS truck was driven by Marvin Reinholtz, 38 of Osceola, Ind., who was “found outside partially pinned under the front right tire of his own tractor and the rear left tire of the Kenworth,” ISP said.

Reinholtz was pronounced dead at the scene by the Lake County coroner’s office. The coroner’s office determined his cause of death was blunt force trauma from a motor vehicle accident.
Sad. Prayers for his family and friends.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
UpstateNYUPSer said:
I have been driving for almost 38 years and have never seen a tractor trailer, parked or disabled, on the left hand side of a major highway.
I've been walking for 34 years and I've never walked into the path of an oncoming vehicle and been hit. A union brother is gone....prayers to his family.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
UpstateNYUPSer said:
I have been driving for almost 38 years and have never seen a tractor trailer, parked or disabled, on the left hand side of a major highway.
the ups driver was parked on the right.
In IL trucks can only use the 2 right lanes. You will get a ticket if your in the left lane

OPTION3

The Kenworth clipped the rear of the second trailer, then struck the back of the first trailer and the tractor on the passenger side before stopping against the barrier and tractor, according to ISP. SO much for your powers of deduction....on the passenger side--between the tractor and Barrier

Last edited by a moderator: