One month in and wondering about my future here

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I started my job as a package handler just over a month ago as a "summer seasonal" hire. When I was applying for the job I was only told at the very end of the interview that it was seasonal. It seemed kind of weird the way it was mentioned so late and casually but I figured it was still worth taking the job anyways. At the orientation however, the HR guy said in plain language that if I didn't miss work or show up late too many times I'd be hired permanently. I mean those were pretty much his exact words. Since then everyone from my supervisor to the HR guy has told me terms that I'd be hired on if I was a good worker.

So I start the job and it pretty pushes me to my physical limits & beyond from day one but I press onward with it. It was pretty clear that I was loading too slowly but I would get help most days even beyond the first week. Probably just in past the three days I've been able to actually keep up without any help. One day a week or two ago I worked a long shift at my other job and was totally drained to the point where I actually passed out when I went to sit down during break, although I don't think anyone noticed because I was just sitting in the trailer and woke up to the sound of the buzzer. The next day a senior supervisor (? don't know exactly what his title is, it's not the guy in charge of the building) came to teach/observe me but from what he told me and what I saw on the sheet he had me sign I did good.

Anyways, 2 days ago my regular supervisor did an assessment which went pretty well as far I could tell, he wrote that I need to use my power zone more but that was it. I've been there over 30 days now which seems to be the "trial period". Yesterday I talked to the building supervisor about taking the sort test and he seemed pretty keen on having me pass it and work the sort. The three other people that started around the same time as me either quit or were fired at this point.

The main reason I joined UPS was to become a driver. I'm only 20 right now but I turn 21 in November. Again, HR told me I'd probably be able to start as a driver when I turn 21. They say quite a few drivers at the building I'm working at are retiring and to be quite honest, very few people working inside seem like they're after a driver job. They even had part time driver positions listed on monster.com.

Sorry this was a bit of a ramble but I'm looking to hear some thoughts on where I'm at from some people who've been through everything.
You're a hard worker, at the end of the day that's really all they want. Stick with it and you'll have that driving job in no time.

davidix

You will be permanent as long as you show up most days and are on time. But mostly as long as you show up. Most new hires come in guns blazing but it's too physical for them. If you dont question this job at first there's something wrong with you.

A lot of people want to be drivers but half of the competition will take itself out. So 1 year is a great timeline for a ft driving position.

You'll work long hours, go to other centers and do the worst routes for a while..if you dont care about getting home at 9:30 - 10:45 for a while then go for it.

Brisket

9:30-10:45??!! Where in the world are you!?! In these parts you have to either have an air meet or be back before the last shuttle leaves which is NOT that late.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I started my job as a package handler just over a month ago as a "summer seasonal" hire. When I was applying for the job I was only told at the very end of the interview that it was seasonal. It seemed kind of weird the way it was mentioned so late and casually but I figured it was still worth taking the job anyways. At the orientation however, the HR guy said in plain language that if I didn't miss work or show up late too many times I'd be hired permanently. I mean those were pretty much his exact words. Since then everyone from my supervisor to the HR guy has told me terms that I'd be hired on if I was a good worker.

So I start the job and it pretty pushes me to my physical limits & beyond from day one but I press onward with it. It was pretty clear that I was loading too slowly but I would get help most days even beyond the first week. Probably just in past the three days I've been able to actually keep up without any help. One day a week or two ago I worked a long shift at my other job and was totally drained to the point where I actually passed out when I went to sit down during break, although I don't think anyone noticed because I was just sitting in the trailer and woke up to the sound of the buzzer. The next day a senior supervisor (? don't know exactly what his title is, it's not the guy in charge of the building) came to teach/observe me but from what he told me and what I saw on the sheet he had me sign I did good.

Anyways, 2 days ago my regular supervisor did an assessment which went pretty well as far I could tell, he wrote that I need to use my power zone more but that was it. I've been there over 30 days now which seems to be the "trial period". Yesterday I talked to the building supervisor about taking the sort test and he seemed pretty keen on having me pass it and work the sort. The three other people that started around the same time as me either quit or were fired at this point.

The main reason I joined UPS was to become a driver. I'm only 20 right now but I turn 21 in November. Again, HR told me I'd probably be able to start as a driver when I turn 21. They say quite a few drivers at the building I'm working at are retiring and to be quite honest, very few people working inside seem like they're after a driver job. They even had part time driver positions listed on monster.com.

Sorry this was a bit of a ramble but I'm looking to hear some thoughts on where I'm at from some people who've been through everything.
if your in the union, a bid goes up and you can drive stick. Sign the bids tgat go up for package jobs,

browner89

One day a week or two ago I worked a long shift at my other job and was totally drained to the point where I actually passed out when I went to sit down during break, although I don't think anyone noticed because I was just sitting in the trailer and woke up to the sound of the buzzer.

Uh, are you saying that you passed out to exhaustion or the heat? If its the heat that is a very serious scenario, once you're a heat casualty you are far more likely to have it happen again. Drink water, stay cool, take care of yourself. Don't take that situation lightly. If you were a heat cas find new work.

Box Ox

its the heat that is a very serious scenario, once you're a heat casualty you are far more likely to have it happen again. Drink water, stay cool, take care of yourself. Don't take that situation lightly. If you were a heat cas find new work.

Eh, I dunno. As a new driver I had some heat issues just because the combination of extreme heat and extreme activity was unlike anything I'd experienced before. Preload had the activity but not the sunlight and back of the package car heat.

Don't think it permanently tagged me as a no hope heat issues driver. Just had to make some adjustments.

Always, always drink water before you're even thirsty. If you're thirsty, you're already short on hydration.

If you're a driver, make sure you're also replenishing the salt/potassium (bananas a good source). Can drink all the water you want and still go down if you're not replenishing electrolytes.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Push on, once you're secure and hired PT find a safe, but productive pace to work at. Work at the speed you're gonna retire at. Hard work gets rewarded with more work, so work smart. Don't cause a stir with management until you're in the union and have some seniority.

browner89

Eh, I dunno. As a new driver I had some heat issues just because the combination of extreme heat and extreme activity was unlike anything I'd experienced before. Preload had the activity but not the sunlight and back of the package car heat.

Don't think it permanently tagged me as a no hope heat issues driver. Just had to make some adjustments.

Always, always drink water before you're even thirsty. If you're thirsty, you're already short on hydration.

If you're a driver, make sure you're also replenishing the salt/potassium (bananas a good source). Can drink all the water you want and still go down if you're not replenishing electrolytes.

All good advice, just never downplay any scenario of literally passing out from the heat, it CAN kill.

Algernon

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I just want to clear a couple things up. Firstly, I'm not naive enough to think HR wouldn't lie about getting a driver spot so quickly, but based on the things I've heard from everyone, there's been a bit of a shortage of drivers at my building lately and they regularly hire people off the street for seasonal driving which may be what I start with. I was a helper last year and that's what got me interested in UPS in the first place. I've seen the daily routine of a driver and am sold on it. Yes, I know they sometimes work 12 hour days and are now doing Saturdays too. As a helper I was often with my driver for 10 hours of the 12 and did the Saturday preload once (on overtime at 22.50/hr hahaha they were desperate as hell).

I know didn't pass out in the truck from heat exhaustion or severe dehydration. It wasn't really very hot that day and I drank a lot of water though it never seems to be enough and dehydration might have made me a little more tired. It was more of of dreamlike state where I was sitting up and drifting in and out of dreaming and being startled awake when I started to slump over. "Passing out" was a bit of an exaggeration.

So far I have not missed a day and was only 2 minutes late once because of ridiculous traffic that literally slowed me down by 20 minutes though I didn't bother telling my supervisor that because he didn't bring it up. Hopefully once I pass that ridiculous sort test I'll be getting a break from busting my ass and won't have to worry so much about being considered useful.