Online form to cancel United Way donations?

helenofcalifornia

Don't you get hounded to donate by management? I donate just to get them off my back! I thought this pressure to donate would be just another "two week plan" with UPS when it started, but the pressure is just increasing!

DS

Fenderbender
Ever since I can remember I give $2 a week,but when I see the cars the reps drive I start to wonder where the money really goes. I may opt out next year.

JustTired

free at last.......
Whether you want give or not, I think that UPS makes up any deficiency in what they project will be donated. I've heard that what the hourlies don't give is made up by the management. Don't know that to be true. But if it is it's just another number they have to make.

Going to HR to find the place where you can cancel your donation? Good luck getting a straight answer from them. I think that giving to United Way is a personal decision and that what ever you decide should in no way affect your status at work. I do get tired of the parade of people that they have come in to give their sales pitch. JMO

Cementups

Box Monkey
I didn't give for a long time mostly due to the pressure from previous center manager's. My new center manager came straight out and said it was our decision to give and he would not hound any of us about it if we didn't contribute. Because of that I gave, I think, $5/week this year. I could use the write off anyway.

smf0605

Any info on how to do this? I went to HR but no one was around. Thanx

You just need to write a note to payroll, include your emp. ID and state that you wish to discontinue your contribution to the UWay and sign it. You can't just request it, you have to request it in writing. Ask HR to send the note to payroll.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was military before I came to UPS and we had a mandate for 100% participation from our troops so the donation money from those who chose not to donate was made up by the NCOs. I am unaware as to whether this happens at UPS or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

I know I will catch a lot of flak for this but I faithfully support the United Way each year to the tune of $25/week (yes, $1,300 per year). I designate 100% to go to the local Hospice, as they do wonderful work with those people who are nearing the end of their lives, and, I will also admit, I deduct this amount on my taxes and recoup $325 so it is a win-win for both the Hospice, as they get the full $1,300, and for me as I get some of it back. (Thanks, W) I do not endorse some of the tactics UPS uses to solicit donations but, having said that, I have a hard believing that a driver making $28.20 per hour cannot afford to donate $1 or $2 per week if, for nothing else, just to shut management up. They probably spend at last that much on lottery tickets.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Upstate....you should NOT receive flak for generously giving to charity. It is a personal decision for each person. I'm glad you were able to see some good being done by a United Way organization.

Most are upset because United Way didn't help somebody they know and that ticks them off.

I've seen the good work too.....AND it was towards a child I know well. So, everbody's experiences are different.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
I'm canceling mine because I was forced off the road and back inside due to layoffs. I was busted down to inside pay, $10/ hour, and when I went to ask HR about it I was told "If you don't like it, you can always quit" So needless to say, since I am a full time employee now making beginners inside rate, the United Way has to go. We'll see how they like that. I need the extra money for gas....I have to drive back and forth to work 4 times a day since I am on split shifts.

U.P.S.... Unprofessional People Skills.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
I only donate $1/week, and yes I can afford it, but I'm opting out next year just to spite management who more or less tells us that we have to donate. I'm just sick of them hounding me for 2 weeks and telling me I have to spend my money on something that benefits the company. And what do I get out of it? A $50 tax write-off. Big deal.

wyobill

I don't like UPS arm twisting tactics on everything they try to accomplish, but I do think it is important that everyone participate especially when a contribution is matched. Ya never know you might be the recipient of a donation some day :happy2:

I think that giving to United Way is a personal decision and that what ever you decide should in no way affect your status at work.

Interesting tidbit is that is does affect your status at work and ultimately whether you work at all.

One big issue is that almost all state, city, federal entities and most large companies take a variety of issues into account when they do things like sign shipping contracts. Cost and timely performance are NOT the be-all/end-all. They also take into account community development and employment opportunities, charitable contributions, fuel (etc. - water, electricity) conservation efforts - many things.

You go ahead and decide not to participate. You're just putting UPS at a competitive disadvantage - even more so - than you already have. UPS loses contracts but it's not the end of the world. UPS operates in excess of its designed capacity already. Losing volume isn't necessarily a bad thing. UPS is scalable. They lose volume, you lose jobs.

The interesting thing is that any manager that *wants* to stay around - UPS can find something for him/her to do. But they won't lift a finger to "find" something for YOU to do. Funny, huh?

My (second hand) understanding is that the Pacific Region intends to lose 800 - 1,000 drivers and there's no plan on them returning - EVER.

Anyway, it's funny to me that those people making the least give the most - both in terms of total dollar amounts and percentage of income. Seriously. Part-timers lead off the donations every year. If you're a driver or one of the portly feeder/donut eaters, you can thank your part-timers for your having a job today. Drivers bring up a distant second. Feeders are a greedy bunch that are only out-greedied by pilots - who you'd think are living on food stamps based on their donations to UW.

My preference would be for UPS to opt out entirely. Let the chips fall where they fall. Put 10,000+ drivers out of work. Let pilots fly their couch while they browse Monster for a new job, etc.

Another funny observation is that California is a dopey state with democrats such as Dianne Feinstein and Babs Boxer serving as senators and such loons as Fourtney Stark that have never met a labor union they wouldn't milk and pander to. Meanwhile take a stab at guessing who the state of California uses as their primary express delivery company. (Hint: It isn't the company YOU work for.)

That still cracks me up. So does reading of driver layoffs, so maybe it's just me.

Buffy

I was military before I came to UPS and we had a mandate for 100% participation from our troops so the donation money from those who chose not to donate was made up by the NCOs. I am unaware as to whether this happens at UPS or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

I know I will catch a lot of flak for this but I faithfully support the United Way each year to the tune of $25/week (yes, $1,300 per year). I designate 100% to go to the local Hospice, as they do wonderful work with those people who are nearing the end of their lives, and, I will also admit, I deduct this amount on my taxes and recoup $325 so it is a win-win for both the Hospice, as they get the full $1,300, and for me as I get some of it back. (Thanks, W) I do not endorse some of the tactics UPS uses to solicit donations but, having said that, I have a hard believing that a driver making $28.20 per hour cannot afford to donate $1 or $2 per week if, for nothing else, just to shut management up. They probably spend at last that much on lottery tickets.
Upstate - I've also been giving a considerable amount for many years and a few things you need to watch for:
- Never donate anonymously. Make sure they know who gave the money so you can get an acknowledgement they received it.
- If you don't hear from the group, contact them to see if they received your donation. If they didn't, go back to the district coordinator and ask them to find out where the UW sent your money.
- Your group will not get the full amount you donate even if designate. UW will always take their administrative fees, usually around 10%.
- The group will only get a check from UW twice a year, so don't look until July for the 1st 6 months donations.
If you are dealing with an organization you know, contact the treasurer and make them aware of your donation and ask them to let you know when they get it. Last year I gave to a small group where my money was going to make a big difference. UW left a word out of their name and the check was received and cashed by a different group.

UpSate, I applaud you in your designation for Hospice, they provide a much needed service. Here's something to think about though. Next year give directly to Hospice, it is just as deductible and they receive more out of you donation. UW, takes out a portion for "administration fees". In the end it is money YOU EARNED, YOU can spend it the way you please.

trickpony1

Upstate - I've also been giving a considerable amount for many years and a few things you need to watch for:
- Never donate anonymously. Make sure they know who gave the money so you can get an acknowledgement they received it.
- If you don't hear from the group, contact them to see if they received your donation. If they didn't, go back to the district coordinator and ask them to find out where the UW sent your money.
- Your group will not get the full amount you donate even if designate. UW will always take their administrative fees, usually around 10%.
- The group will only get a check from UW twice a year, so don't look until July for the 1st 6 months donations.
If you are dealing with an organization you know, contact the treasurer and make them aware of your donation and ask them to let you know when they get it. Last year I gave to a small group where my money was going to make a big difference. UW left a word out of their name and the check was received and cashed by a different group.

I have an easier idea......
Write your own check to your favorite organization and either hand carry it there or mail it.

rod

Retired 22 years
It makes it hard sometimes to open up the old wallet and give to charities when day after day you see the same deadbeats living off of giveaway programs financed by your hard earned tax dollar. Yes I believe there is a time and place for helping someome down and out on their luck but a certain % of these people wouldn't get up off their sorry butts for anything that envolved work. :angry: