Online Will

over9five

Staff member
Mom wants to re-do her will, but doesn't want to give her money to a lawyer.
Anyone ever do one online? Any good? Suggestions? Advice?

Shiftless

Altho I have never heard of an online will be contested in court? I am sure it happens.

I would assume its better than just a holographic (hand written) will that will allow a Judge to make a decision to its validity and how it will be implemented.

After watching a couple of contested wills (one lawyer written and he died before he was due back at his lawyers office to sign, the other a notarized will) of friends where the sibling's and in one case, a cousin that thought stepping in and contesting was a great idea, man what a lot of BS transpired and hatred that blossomed out of it. Probably there the whole time, where the deceased never could have imagined.

If your Mom wants everything to be directed/dispersed the way she wants when its all said and done in her life? Still doesn't stop people from contesting her will. The issue is, will it stand up in court when the judge is the ultimate decider?

As a side bar to this subject:

In this day and age having an advocate when you get up in age in your corner is SO IMPORTANT! Having an Advance Directive and if you want a DNR in place you actually have to do your due diligence. The advocate better be on the HIPPA release form?

BeefiestMass

In this day and age having an advocate when you get up in age in your corner is SO IMPORTANT! Having an Advance Directive and if you want a DNR in place you actually have to do your due diligence. The advocate better be on the HIPPA release form?
Doesn't matter how old you are, you need a living will and a durable power of attorney *and your family needs to know where these documents are.* Most docs won't sign a DDNR unless they think it's likely you'll croak, though.

FWIW, if I had a lot of money and/or an even slightly dysfunctional family, I'd definitely pay for a lawyer to do the will.

542thruNthru

Well can't they would do exactly about that but for your mom to save her $1,000 two It might cost us your family a lot of money
tumblr_not7qfqAnA1u8ntcpo1_500.gif

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Mom wants to re-do her will, but doesn't want to give her money to a lawyer.
Anyone ever do one online? Any good? Suggestions? Advice?
The whole thing with a will is getting it to the county you live in to get it recorded. For me, it's worth the cost of legal services.

Wills are wonderful historical documents as well.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It was a relief that my mother had very little when she died. A brother and I had already gone through everything she had before she went in a nursing home and her little life insurance policy was easy to split six ways with my siblings. Done. No fighting. No animosity. Simple.

Shiftless

Doesn't matter how old you are, you need a living will and a durable power of attorney *and your family needs to know where these documents are.* Most docs won't sign a DDNR unless they think it's likely you'll croak, though.

FWIW, if I had a lot of money and/or an even slightly dysfunctional family, I'd definitely pay for a lawyer to do the will.

I was an advocate for a relative who had on file a DNR in the hospital they were at. I was there as the time was close. When the moment happened of heart failure "CODE BLUE" "Outta the way" "Clear the room" they weren't stopping for nothing!!

JUST the way it is!

I demanded attention and that the DNR in my hand be enforced an only then did they stop and then call the time!
Had I not been there as this persons advocate they would have revived and gone against the patients DNR!

oldngray

nowhere special
Altho I have never heard of an online will be contested in court? I am sure it happens.

I would assume its better than just a holographic (hand written) will that will allow a Judge to make a decision to its validity and how it will be implemented.

After watching a couple of contested wills (one lawyer written and he died before he was due back at his lawyers office to sign, the other a notarized will) of friends where the sibling's and in one case, a cousin that thought stepping in and contesting was a great idea, man what a lot of BS transpired and hatred that blossomed out of it. Probably there the whole time, where the deceased never could have imagined.

If your Mom wants everything to be directed/dispersed the way she wants when its all said and done in her life? Still doesn't stop people from contesting her will. The issue is, will it stand up in court when the judge is the ultimate decider?

As a side bar to this subject:

Online wills are perfectly legal but you get it notarized just in case it gets challenged.