Opinions on Alcoholism

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Honestly, UPS isnt a place for drunks. There just isnt room for someone who cant control themselves. If you have to go someplace to stop doing a bad habit, then you really dont belong in the UPS system. Unfortunately, UPS gives you another chance to correct your ways, but like in all cases, you dont take that chance seriously.

Alcohol can take over a persons life, and when it does, then the UPS part of that life should come to an end.

While your problems are your own, you made them public here, and in asking for advice, youll have to take the good with the bad. I have no sympathy for you as a drunk. I have no sympathy why you chose to drink excessively to the point where you blew beyond an acceptable level. I have no sympathy for your college buddy who came to visit you and the lack of judgement you displayed by not telling him you were unable to drink or you would lose your job.

Drunks and drug addicts make horrible decisions, and its only a guess what other bad decisions you could make behind the wheel of a package car or feeder truck.

I recommend that you move on with your life, get the help that you clearly need, and then start over someplace where you are not a danger to public safety.

You want to drink? OK, but do it on your own time without involving a corporation or coworkers who have to witness your behavior. There is nothing worse than working alongside a drunk.

I have seen many of them come and go. I have watched as they lose their wives, children, families, friends, homes, cars & eventually income. The almighty drink has a power over you that you cannot see while the rest of us can.

Your life is circling the drain, the water slowly going down unless you put the plug back into your world and refrain from alcohol.

You wanted advice, there it is.

TOS.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I understand the mindset on addiction. My dad was a pharmacist. I've been to all the seminars when I was a kid.

The Bible says that "no drunkard will ever enter the Kingdom of Heaven".
No one would be condemned to Hell for having a disease.
chuchu,

All drunkards do not develop the disease of addiction just as all fornicators do not contract STDs.

I do agree with you, drunkenness is a sin.

Addiction is clearly a potential consequence or result of that sin.

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives
chuchu,

All drunkards do not develop the disease of addiction just as all fornicators do not contract STDs.

Sincerely,
I
Especially if you use "sin" as it was used in the 1st century Middle East when it meant falling short of a mark.
If the alcoholic wants to control his/her alcoholism but cannot and gets drunk then it is a sin.
Or as Paul wrote don't do it.

Which begs the question that if the alcoholic wants to get drunk and that is his goal (mark), is that a sin?
Paul seemed to intimate it was not.

bbsam

Staff member
Personally, I have never understood the whole disease/not a disease. It comes down to "what are you going to do about it" regardless of what it is called.

C

chuchu

chuchu,

Sincerely,
I
Being a drunkard is being addicted.

Not many drunkards (addict of alcohol) become addicted by someone forcing alcohol down their throats.

We're splitting hairs.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Being a drunkard is being addicted.

Not many drunkards (addict of alcohol) become addicted by someone forcing alcohol down their throats.

We're splitting hairs.
chuchu,

I don't think so.

The difference is that a drunkard can stop but won't or doesn't want to.

An addict truly wants to stop but cannot stop or stay stopped with out intervention of some sort.

Sincerely,
I

C

chuchu

chuchu,

I don't think so.

The difference is that a drunkard can stop but won't or doesn't want to.

An addict truly wants to stop but cannot stop or stay stopped with out intervention of some sort.

Sincerely,
I
YOU "don't think so" doesn't make it true.

I know MANY drunkards that want to quit when they end up in trouble
but can't because they are physically and emotionally addicted to that lifestyle and chemical.

You are presuming and judging people into iron clad margins and can never prove that drunkards aren't addicted.

Addicts and drunkards are in the same category unless you want to say that drunkards NEVER want out of that bondage and in 57 years I have never met a drunk that didn't want out at one point or another.

So at that moment you say they go from drunkard to addict?
Whatever.