Option 3 days questions

celsiana

Has Option three day details changed with new contract? I have always taken option 3 days and was able to take them as I needed and wanted.

Now management says I have to schedule them off.

I asked several Union Stewards if this was true. They said it was not just file a grievance when I get wrote up about it. "WHAT.....?!"

I've had to take several Option three days off to help with my daughter and new granddaughter since I was not allowed to "schedule" 1 week of my vacation for that week.
thnx

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
Has Option three day details changed with new contract? I have always taken option 3 days and was able to take them as I needed and wanted.

Now management says I have to schedule them off.

I asked several Union Stewards if this was true. They said it was not just file a grievance when I get wrote up about it. "WHAT.....?!"

I've had to take several Option three days off to help with my daughter and new granddaughter since I was not allowed to "schedule" 1 week of my vacation for that week.
thnx
The new contract has not taken effect yet as for your option day at my center we can use them as long as they are valid even the day of, most people use it as extra sick days.

They are telling me the same thing. Made me tell them I was sick to get a day off last week. The crazy thing was, I was willing to work if it was goning to put them in a bind. The only problem is that in the past, option3 days couldn't be used as an "attendance problem" as they are guaranteed days off(if you want them) in the contract. "Calling in sick" can be used as an attendance issue. Seems they are tiring to have their cake and eat it too.......again.

The new contract has not taken effect yet as for your option day at my center we can use them as long as they are valid even the day of, most people use it as extra sick days.
hmmm, It was my understanding that the new contract was indeed in force already, except for a few articles concerning raises and such. I'm not saying that the way it is, just that is how it was reported to me.

steeltoe

At our local meeting this past Saturday, we were informed that the new contract is in effect for all aspects except the economic portion of the contract such as raises. Our leaders informed us that option 3 has not changed.

Never be dishonest. If you are to use an option 3 day, call in and let them know you are taking an option 3 day. I always call and let them know that I am taking an option 3 day.

My personal opionion, option 3 is a benefit that is earned by your number of reports the previous year. How can you discipline an employee for useing a benefit? I know that concept is a bit stretched, but that is the way I look at it. I have yet to hear of any panel decision where an employee was fired for using option 3. I could see how the company could use it against you if you call in sick and they see you on the Golf course. Again, be honest and just inform them that you are useing an option 3 day, period.

Any other thoughts? Am I on the right track?

wornoutupser

You have to watch how they code the day off.

I was written up as an attendance problem by a Division manager because I had used my days on Option 3.

My manager had just quit- and he had coded ALL of them as "called in sick".

I had to write a rebuttal just to stay out of trouble- AND send copies to Atlanta to back up my side!

outta hours

Same BS here in my area management is using the new contract as an excuse to say that option 3 has changed. Which it has not. Only notice required is a call in at least 1 hour prior to start time. I encourage all of you to read and know your contract front to back. Management will tell you whatever they can(lie,half truths, etc.) to try and make you come in. They are your days that you earned, to be taken at your discretion. Management loves an uniformed driver. Knowledge is power in any situation, do your best to empower yourself. The contract contains the rules for game. Don't play the game without knowing the rules.

J

JonFrum

The new contract has not taken effect yet . . .

The new contract, in its entirety, was ratified on or about December 19, 2007, (not sure of the precise moment they finished counting the ballots,) and is in full effect as of that moment of ratification. Initially, the Master passed by 65%, but five supplements and riders failed to get a majority vote, so they had to be renegotiated. The company offered better deals to these five groups and all five passed on the second try. The rules say the the Master and the Supplements and the Riders constitute The Contract and The Contract isn't ratified until all its parts are ratified. That probably happened on Dec. 19, 2007.

This new contract, in its entirety, replaces the old contract, in its entirety, even though the old contract had over seven months remaining. Most of the new contract language took effect immediately upon ratification. Some provisions, however, specifically state a later date for their implementation. For example, an August 1, 2008 raise won't be triggered until August 1, 2008. Likewise, an August 1, 2012 raise, won't be paid until August 1, 2012. But the contract that gives you those raises was ratified and in full force on December 19, 2007.

The new contract is the old contract plus all the boldface additions, and minus all the struck-out deletions, as sent to you in the mail along with your ballots.

celsiana

Sometimes I use sick days for option three. Usually I need them for Doctor and Dental appointments since I have to go on the days and time that are available at the office made many months ahead.

They also coded my Option three as called in absent. I'm going to have to file a grievance to get this cleared up.

In our supplement we have no sick days as such. We have an option week(7days) and one personal holiday option. To my knowledge there is no place in the contract that states the days from the option week have to be prior approved in writing. However that is how management is representing it. There have been a couple of guys that have gotten off by submitting the requests, but I don't know for sure if anyone has gotten an option 3 day without one. I'm gonna check around on that next week. If I can manage to get in touch with my BA I may talk with him about this too. I also usually try to save my O3 days for doctor appointments and such, but sometimes a guy wakes up in the A.M. and just wants to stay in bed.

Hangingon

We have a driver that has just been suspended for calling in sick. If the contract is in effect when is the union going to have the contract books ready? We're getting all kinds of interpretations from local mgm't and none of them have anything to do with the bold faced parts we saw earlier.

center manager is also telling us that code 21's, or lay offs (days off w/o pay) are limited to 2 a month in the new contract. Anyone see anything about this in there?