Optional Day Seniority Question

lucyo

I requested an optional day for 4/18 in February and was told by management my request was approved. Now today I was told that I may not get it off because someone else with more seniority came in today (4/9) and requested the same day off. My question is can they do this, even though I had booked the optional day nearly 2 months ago?
I work in the Northern Plains district.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Check your supplement. Here you have to request it exactly 7 days before the day you want.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

lucyo

Check your supplement. Here you have to request it exactly 7 days before the day you want.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

I read it, it says the request must be made 8 days minimum, but nothing about whether you can be bumped after being approved.

Cementups

Box Monkey
if he has days left then he would get the day off, not you. You have until the last minute to submit a request for a personal day. Management was wrong to "approve" you for this day 2 months in advance. Here it is also 8 days prior to the day requested. They shouldn't be making any approvals for the day off until 7 days prior.

Did you actually get the paper signed approved returned back to you? Verbal means nothing. Signed paper is where it's at.

lucyo

Yep, vacation request was signed by sup'. Only reason I did ask for it that soon, is because I'm going out of town that weekend.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If it's approved already I would be real quick to call your BA first thing in the morning and voice your concern. Especially since you already have plans. Get to it!!

Oak

Calling BA is best bet.

I'm thinking since you have it in writing, you're off. Don't think they can deny the senior employee based on staffing levels. They may have to cover both positions.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Here you can be bumped. If i request off for August 20th and someone above me ask the same day off a month after I did he will get it. With that said, whenever it has happened to me I just call in. Actually anytime I've asked off and they've told me no I just call in anyways lol. You have days you can use them.

HBGPreloader

In our local/hub, seniority always rules - as long as the more senior employee signs the option/personal day "sign up sheet" before the cut-off day.

So, depending on the number of employees permitted to take off on a given day, if someone who has more seniority decides they want that day, you can be bumped - regardless of when you requested that day.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here seniority rules but you have to request option 8 days in advance. And if UPS approves it, then you can't be bumped later.