Organizing PT Sups?

Hey all,

I just wanted to ask if any thought has ever been given to trying to organize Pt belt sups? Has this ever been tried?

Maybe I am just inexperienced or naivete, but it seems as though there would be a lot of mutual benefits to this...

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I believe there was some legislation discussed on here (maybe in California?) that would allow for employees in supervision to unionize in that state. The talk died down at some point and faded away. It would be interesting to see how that might work.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
Hey all,

I just wanted to ask if any thought has ever been given to trying to organize Pt belt sups? Has this ever been tried?

Maybe I am just inexperienced or naivete, but it seems as though there would be a lot of mutual benefits to this...
It's like having hourlies that you can really treat like S*....

Maybe I am just inexperienced or naivete

yes

Hey, I never said it would be easy. But it seems like PT sups would have almost every incentive to join the union...
Likewise, it seems like the union would have every incentive to make the belt supervisor position one that is overseen by a union member.

Could you explain to me why I'm wrong?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
image.jpeg

Hocus pocus, my kids love you in frosty....

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
believe there was some legislation discussed on here (maybe in California?) that would allow for employees in supervision to unionize in that state. The talk died down at some point and faded away. It would be interesting to see how that might work.
Up until Northwest Airlines was absorbed into Delta they were unionized all the way to the Vice President level. It's not unheard of, just extremely rare.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
PT Supervisors don't have "hire/fire" responsibilities (hell, they're not even supposed to send off warning letters on their own) and fulfill more of a "foreman" role than a true managerial one.

It'd be interesting to see their "managerial" status challenged but I don't think we will until UPS really starts taking :censored2: away from them. Maybe next contract. :wink2:

I see, on paper that it does. But in reality, if most PT sups never go on to being a FT sup, then doesn't it make more sense for them to be sided with the union?
Most of what I've read on here, and most of the PT sups I've talked to in purpose regret the decision to go sup...

yea the goal is the be a full time manager. it conflicts with their career path.

I see, on paper that it does. But in reality, if most PT sups never go on to being a FT sup, then doesn't it make more sense for them to be sided with the union?
Most of what I've read on here, and most of the PT sups I've talked to in purpose regret the decision to go sup...
That was just my line of thinking, in terms of strategies to improve operations at UPS, while strengthening the union as well...