Orion and an 8 hour request

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It's my first time actually attempting to use Orion, it's slowing me down. That's the problem. Probably not the best day to give it a whirl on this route...

Man, do you have a union steward in your building? An 8HR day is an 8HR day. Who cares about Orion. Stand up for yourself, man.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Imo we should have received another 8 hour request a month and make them so we can put them in 3 days ahead..not 7. Also 4 hours penalty pay if they load us up...With the company throwing the health care back to the union you would think that the union negotiation team would have been able to get us a few more small improvements weren't they in a position to do that??

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
This is also a scenario they practice :
"Due to staffing and business demands, we will not be able to honor the 8 (9.5) hour request"

Your 8 hours is 8 hours.

Although it cramps their dispatching, even after 7 days minimum prior written notice, they attempt to dismiss these requests every time.
I make quite a bit of money putting in 8 hour requests when i know it aint gonna happen. Some months i put in 5 or 6 that i KNOW i wont get,just for the money.

O

OLDMAN3

I
Imo we should have received another 8 hour request a month and make them so we can put them in 3 days ahead..not 7. Also 4 hours penalty pay if they load us up...With the company throwing the health care back to the union you would think that the union negotiation team would have been able to get us a few more small improvements weren't they in a position to do that??
We only have to request an 8 hr day 2 days in advance here. And if we are going to be over 8 we have the right to bring the stops back to the bldg. after giving management adequate notice.

O

OLDMAN3

I must have typed the I above my quote by mistake.
Wow, could I be turning into Integrity?:eek:

O

OLDMAN3

This should be in the national language
The 2 day advance notice is in the central region supplement. But bringing back the stops stems from a JAC decision not specific language, I believe.
Does anyone on Brown Cafe know if this (or any panel decision) could have an effect on other regions since we don't even have specific language in the Central region about bringing back stops?...

Sorry about the unclear language, I phrase it better...

Since the ability to bring back excessive stops (on an 8 hr request) in the Central Region is not based on language exclusive to the Central Region Supplement...
Would the ability to bring back stops apply nationally?

Last edited by a moderator:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We have had guys bring back stops on 9.5 issues but they were told to do this. ..I would like to have the language to bring stops back especially when mgt knows damn well that too many stops are on the car...

rpoz11

Rider language I assume differs per region.
The 7 day in advance in writing is in Western Conference areas.

My submission :

We all need to start polls about this.
Address the results of these polls and then submit the results to regional Joint Councils towards adding this to contract negotiations for 2018.

The very same poll can be conducted for 9.5 grievances as well.

Lastly, we should also start a poll for All routes being 9.5 hour minimum routes nationwide in the Master Agreement!
Lets start this now !!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Rider language I assume differs per region.
The 7 day in advance in writing is in Western Conference areas.

My submission :

We all need to start polls about this.
Address the results of these polls and then submit the results to regional Joint Councils towards adding this to contract negotiations for 2018.

The very same poll can be conducted for 9.5 grievances as well.

Lastly, we should also start a poll for All routes being 9.5 hour minimum routes nationwide in the Master Agreement!
Lets start this now !!!
Agreed..All they will try to say is that the routes plan 9.5....even though there is 10.5 hours actually on the truck..but I definitely agree on getting better 8 hour language..Also being able to split up one week of vacation to 5 extra optional would be good...This isn't even a gain since we have the days available anyway...seems as if most of the non economic language we have got in the last couple of contracts should have been done anyway so I feel as though they aren't even really any victories just some scraps that are told to us that they are big gains..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It should be noted that the Union wanted the healthcare and the Company was all too eager to hand it over to them.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The 2 day advance notice is in the central region supplement. But bringing back the stops stems from a JAC decision not specific language, I believe.
Does anyone on Brown Cafe know if this (or any panel decision) could have an effect on other regions since we don't even have specific language in the Central region about bringing back stops?...

Sorry about the unclear language, I phrase it better...

Since the ability to bring back excessive stops (on an 8 hr request) in the Central Region is not based on language exclusive to the Central Region Supplement...
Would the ability to bring back stops apply nationally?

The Central Region language for 8hr days is on page 234. Article 19 section 3. We do have specific language. You are correct on the JAC interpretation.