Oscars

moreluck

golden ticket member
I figured I'd better give you my take on the Oscars while it's still fresh in my mind. I thought Ellen did a fine job and laughed when she gave a screenplay to Scorsese.

The tumblers behind the lighted screen were neat. The funniest to me was the Meryl Streep bit with the 2 girls forgetting her cappucino.....that look on Meryl's face was priceless. Tom Cruise looked good....of course Katie was probably locked up in a closet at home. George Clooney is still one sexy guy. Nicholson shaved his head! But he's still sexy....I guess it's that smile.

Beyonce and the other "dream girl" were much stronger singers than Celine.

I was not happy to see Forest Whittaker win....he hasn't paid income taxes since the year 2002 !!! He should be in jail & not receiving awards.

I was glad that Scorsese won......he was certainly thrilled. And his movie won too. A double win for him.

The rest of the show was too much foreign crap!!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
govols....OK, I don't have the article anymore. It was in either Globe or The Enquirer (don't laugh). It listed the exact amounts and the years he owes for. Just like they listed it for Wesley Snipes awhile back.

I know folks discredit these sources all the time, but they usually turn out to be true. I guess time will tell. If my neighbor still has the copy I gave him, I'll try to get you the info.

I think the basis of these tax arguments is where the money was actually earned.

over9five

Staff member
I only saw a little near the end.

I always like the part where they tribute those who have passed during the year. UNFORTUNATELY, they screwed up the tribute by showing Queen somebody too much while the tribute played in the background. I couldn't read the names half the time.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I only saw a little near the end.

I always like the part where they tribute those who have passed during the year. UNFORTUNATELY, they screwed up the tribute by showing Queen somebody too much while the tribute played in the background. I couldn't read the names half the time.

I like that part too and I thought that the moving camera was terrible. Couldn't read/see the names and people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Slumdog Millionaire was a great movie and it definitely earned the Oscar. The Wrestler was also good but I agree that Mickey Rourke will fade back in to oblivion. I almost felt bad for Marissa Tomei as this movie showed just how desperate she is to try to stay in the limelight--she spends half the movie topless as her character is a stripper.

I enjoyed the animation segment but have to admit that I was going back and forth between the Oscars and the race and would flip back to the Oscars when Fox would give an update.

jennie

Slumdog Millionaire was a great movie and it definitely earned the Oscar. The Wrestler was also good but I agree that Mickey Rourke will fade back in to oblivion. I almost felt bad for Marissa Tomei as this movie showed just how desperate she is to try to stay in the limelight--she spends half the movie topless as her character is a stripper.

I enjoyed the animation segment but have to admit that I was going back and forth between the Oscars and the race and would flip back to the Oscars when Fox would give an update.
I wish I would of seen Slumdog! I am so glad Kate Winselt one, "The Reader" great film. I did try and see Slumdog before Oscar night, but sold out, I went and saw "Defiance" which was good too, but didn't win awards, lol.

UPS Lifer

In Maui the Oscars were on tape delay so we saw the whole race. However, right at the beginning FOX flashed the Best Supporting Actress winner and fortunately they must have caught their mistake because there were no more updates.

I am sorry Sean Penn won. I don't like his politics so I don't like him and I can not stand it when the awards ceremony is used for political purposes. It does not matter what the cause. To me it is flat out exploitation. But that is Hollywierd.

I know I know.... all "The Commie, Homo, Son-of-a-Gun" supporters are going to come out of the woodwork and call me a "Commie, Homo, Son-of-a-Gun" hater so I will just wash it all down with a nice cold glass of milk... or not!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
In Maui the Oscars were on tape delay so we saw the whole race. However, right at the beginning FOX flashed the Best Supporting Actress winner and fortunately they must have caught their mistake because there were no more updates.

I am sorry Sean Penn won. I don't like his politics so I don't like him and I can not stand it when the awards ceremony is used for political purposes. It does not matter what the cause. To me it is flat out exploitation. But that is Hollywierd.

I know I know.... all "The Commie, Homo, Son-of-a-Gun" supporters are going to come out of the woodwork and call me a "Commie, Homo, Son-of-a-Gun" hater so I will just wash it all down with a nice cold glass of milk... or not!

I agree. If I wanted to hear political banter, I'd watch Foxnews or MSN. Can't you just thank your family and fans. Maybe afterward, go home to that sweet wife, Robin Wright?

Sammie

I must be aging; the Oscars were bizarre.

It was amazing how Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Mickey Rourke and Goldie Hawn looked like abandoned, homeless people but at least Mickey and Goldie's outfits matched. I think he would have looked better in the strapless dress and she in the Lorenzo Lamas leisure suit. Jennifer Aniston presented a foot away from her ex husband, Sarah Jessica Parker's dress was ready to slide off and I wondered what the person cool enough to wear sunglasses inside at night would look like if he washed his hair. But his shoes were hot. I was really looking forward to an obscene acceptance speech from him...Really.

We share sentiments, Lifer. Sean, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Vanessa Redgrave and the rest of them with their impressive educations and world experiences (not) who use the Awards for their own propaganda ruin a great old tradition. There's a time and a place for personal opinions and political rants, but why then? I don't need to be convinced during this
show that homosexuals should be allowed to marry...

Take it to "Meet the Press"...

Last edited:

Ms.PacMan

Maybe Scorsese directed the Oscars. He's the director that started all the moving camera business.

How do I know this? My brother is a stand-up comic in L.A. and his wife is a wanna be actress. When they got married she made the videographer walk circles around the wedding ceremony "like Scorcese".

It made me motion sick.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Maybe Scorsese directed the Oscars. He's the director that started all the moving camera business.

How do I know this? My brother is a stand-up comic in L.A. and his wife is a wanna be actress. When they got married she made the videographer walk circles around the wedding ceremony "like Scorcese".

It made me motion sick.

You're lucky she didn't also do moves like in the Matrix.:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
If I view Sean Penn as 'just the actor', I really like him. Hate his politics.
I always see him as Spicoli just waiting for his pizza to be delivered to class.:happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If I view Sean Penn as 'just the actor', I really like him. Hate his politics.
I always see him as Spicoli just waiting for his pizza to be delivered to class.:happy-very:

That's what I thought when I saw him up there. But then it dawned on me, that he was just playing a part back then, yearning to get to where he is now.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'll tell you what I don't 'get'. I don't get the Pitt/Jolie thing. They make crappy , no-quality movies and people treat them like royalty. Well, way back when, Liz Taylor & Richard Burton were like royalty too, and they were just 2 good looking drunks.

When I see Angelina, I still see her french kissing her brother on national TV and when I look at Brad I see a real dummy leaving that hot Jennifer A. just to be bogged down by a bony-***** wife with a bunch of snot nosed brats !!

But, sometime I'll tell you how I really feel.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'll tell you what I don't 'get'. I don't get the Pitt/Jolie thing. They make crappy , no-quality movies and people treat them like royalty. Well, way back when, Liz Taylor & Richard Burton were like royalty too, and they were just 2 good looking drunks.

When I see Angelina, I still see her french kissing her brother on national TV and when I look at Brad I see a real dummy leaving that hot Jennifer A. just to be bogged down by a bony-***** wife with a bunch of snot nosed brats !!

But, sometime I'll tell you how I really feel.

:rofl: