OSHA or Labor laws regarding bathroom breaks.

klein

Für Meno :)
I dont disagree with that under normal circumstances. Its probably so prevelenat that they are sending a message. It was supposed to get their attention and judging by the ops rants about calling osha and the nlrb it looks like it had the desired affect.

I think its kind of funny reading through the thread. Posters here actually think they have some god ordained right to be paid to sit on the toilet.

Hey now, stop being a shit disturber !

hypocrisy

Banned
I dont disagree with that under normal circumstances. Its probably so prevelenat that they are sending a message. It was supposed to get their attention and judging by the ops rants about calling osha and the nlrb it looks like it had the desired affect.

I think its kind of funny reading through the thread. Posters here actually think they have some god ordained right to be paid to sit on the toilet.

Well, technically, we are directed daily to hydrate frequently, so we are being paid to drink water. Consequently, proper hydration leads to frequent urination. Ask any doctor and they will tell you if your urine is not clear, you are not hydrating enough (and we are assuming you drink water not your typical "energy" drinks that arificially turn your urine dark in color). Personally, I like the Company's position on proper hydration because it will help prevent kidney stones. Anyone who has had a kidney stone will be drinking enough water that they will be urinating at least once, maybe twice an hour. So by following directions the Company has indeed given us the right to be paid to use the toilet. It's cheaper anyway, because short-term disability for kidney stone surgery costs a lot more than the bathroom breaks do.

Reading my contract, it only says I don't get paid during a meal period. Am I missing something?

The Company really shouldn't be trying to pick fights with OSHA. Last year they paid $50k for a firing a driver for refusing to drive an unsafe vehicle and this year they paid another driver $100k for firing him for basically the same thing. Double down anyone?

Really this whole problem boils down to something Tieguy alluded to: "sending a message". Instead of actually managing their people properly, UPS would rather impose draconian measures that ultimately prove much more costly than the "problem" they were trying to fix.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=22932&p_table=INTERPRETATIONS

Bottom line for the OP is that if you have to go, go! I would ignore any managment harassment when you need to use the restroom. If they want you to tell them first, then do so, but do not get into an extended conversation about it until after you have relieved yourself. Simply inform your management person and walk to the restroom. They may threaten discipline, so note down what is said, when, and by whom. You can't really do that much about the harassment until they do discipline you. When/if that happens, file the grievance and a complaint with OSHA at the same time. Also, next time you visit your doctor be sure to discuss your restroom needs and see if the doctor will document this in a note or letter. Something along the lines of "Patient needs frequent restroom breaks because of xxx condition" can go a long way. This battle has been fought and lost time and time again by Management.

To whomever asked: I just coded late air however they told me too, I know it wasn't "request late" or whatever. Obviously I got their attention and it had the desired effect. :peaceful:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
True the only unpaid time is Lunch, break time is a paid break. Either way their paying you to pee!!! But I do not believe they can force you to use your break time to urinate especially when most buildings shut down completely for the 10 minute break periods.

hypocrisy

Banned
And isn't it nice that many buildings have taken away paper towels in favor of those horrible hand dryers that take 5x as long to dry your hands?

22.34life

what jumps out at me after reading through this thread is the use of the phrase "bathroom privledges".I mean are we grown people here or elementary school kids,taking a leak or taking a dump is not a privledge or a break it is bodily function of which no one has any control over.If i gotta go then i gotta go and thats the end of it ,i dont think i could actually have a serious discussion about this with a member of managment,it is plain stupid and comical,i could not keep a straight face.any one who gets a talk about this from any body in managment must be king of the sh**bags and they must have been a pretty bad worker ,that or managment has really went off the deep end for sure this time.

UPSGUY72

Who is telling you this ??

You have a couple of options
1. See a Steward or call you Business Agent
2 Do as he says and do nothing
3. Don't ask tell him your going to the bathroom as you walk by or just go.
4. Ask when he tells you to punch out just go to the bathroom without punching out.

For 3 and 4 you will have to deal with the idiot later and file a grievance that you will win .

What I would do is.

Tell your sup that you need to go to the bath room if he tells you you need to punch out reply with , "not a problem I understand you don't need me anymore what time do we start tomorrow?" Then start walking towards the time clock and punch out as you where told and leave.

Look at it like this.

If they tell you to punch out your not working if you got hurt somehow on the round trip from the time clock to bathroom and back they are going to say that you weren't on the clock and you won't be able to collect workmans comp.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Punch out, go get a big dunkin donuts coffee or whatever your fancy and newspaper. Come back a half hour later, begin working again and mention how much better you feel! :happy-very:

guyin916

i used to just whip it out between the bay door and the trailer opening.. no padding, so it all works out. that was at my old hub, now i'm at a center.. it bites.

tranham

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm drinking all I can to beat the heat I may have to go 4 times a day. Seems that there are only three meal periods. Should I just work off the clock a little during lunch to make up the time I will use later to pee?

Robert

tieguy

Banned
what jumps out at me after reading through this thread is the use of the phrase "bathroom privledges".I mean are we grown people here or elementary school kids,taking a leak or taking a dump is not a privledge or a break it is bodily function of which no one has any control over.If i gotta go then i gotta go and thats the end of it ,i dont think i could actually have a serious discussion about this with a member of managment,it is plain stupid and comical,i could not keep a straight face.any one who gets a talk about this from any body in managment must be king of the sh**bags and they must have been a pretty bad worker ,that or managment has really went off the deep end for sure this time.

your argument is one that often comes up when the bathroom break thread gets started. no one is denying these folks a bathroom break. They are being told they will not be paid for the time.

tieguy

Banned

4. Ask when he tells you to punch out just go to the bathroom without punching out.

For 3 and 4 you will have to deal with the idiot later and file a grievance that you will win .

What I would do is.

Tell your sup that you need to go to the bath room if he tells you you need to punch out reply with , "not a problem I understand you don't need me anymore what time do we start tomorrow?" Then start walking towards the time clock and punch out as you where told and leave.

Look at it like this.

If they tell you to punch out your not working if you got hurt somehow on the round trip from the time clock to bathroom and back they are going to say that you weren't on the clock and you won't be able to collect workmans comp.

that kind of advice gets people fired.

22.34life

your argument is one that often comes up when the bathroom break thread gets started. no one is denying these folks a bathroom break. They are being told they will not be paid for the time.
my point is that you should be able to go when you need to and you should be paid from the time you punch in till the time you punch out.So when should you stop getting paid,when you leave the work area,when you physically stop working or when you enter the restroom.The idea that you should be taken off the clock for going to the restroom is absurd,i wonder how many other companys use this policy,i bet ZERO.So what about getting a drink or walking time between doing work,would walking between belts to help out another area be considered for punching out as well.How would they possibly keep accurate track of these restroom punchs for every person in the building,and after the resources have been used to do so would the company save any money,i doubt it.Management needs to be able to handle the time card issues they already have before the take on the oh so important task of punching people in and out to use the restroom,what a joke.

22.34life

What I would do is.

Look at it like this.

if this is serious advice it might have worked 8 or 9 years ago but today this will get you fired.Times have changed and you cant get away with stuff like this anymore.I remember part timers used to punch out and leave after 5 hours regardless of what they were told because they were only supposed to be able to hold you to 5 hours barring some natural disaster,but if you try that today you will be fired ,no doubt about it.

UPSSOCKS

my point is that you should be able to go when you need to and you should be paid from the time you punch in till the time you punch out.So when should you stop getting paid,when you leave the work area,when you physically stop working or when you enter the restroom.The idea that you should be taken off the clock for going to the restroom is absurd,i wonder how many other companys use this policy,i bet ZERO.So what about getting a drink or walking time between doing work,would walking between belts to help out another area be considered for punching out as well.How would they possibly keep accurate track of these restroom punchs for every person in the building,and after the resources have been used to do so would the company save any money,i doubt it.Management needs to be able to handle the time card issues they already have before the take on the oh so important task of punching people in and out to use the restroom,what a joke.

This is how things get ruined for the good employees.. Let's face it, now a days the bad employees out number the good ones. That's why the Union is weak and washed up. The new generation of the union are running it into the ground too. They are all selfers. I was friends with a union steward once, and he recently retired. I went to the local watering hole to bid him farewell. Needless to say I wasn't very welcome at the party.

He told me the days of people taking pride in a job well done is over. He said a fair days pay, for a fair days work is over. He told me that he was having trouble going to bat for some of his younger brothers because they were pieces of doo doo, and deep down he knew they didn't deserve the job, or benefits that are provided by UPS. He said at one time he worked with a team and the term "move to the work" meant something, it meant bailing out your friend so they could go have a beer together.

Now when people run out of work, they go to the bathroom. Instead of helping someone else out... They go to the bathroom. I hope this flies. I bet bathroom breaks instantly are cut in half...

tranham

This is how things get ruined for the good employees.. Let's face it, now a days the bad employees out number the good ones. That's why the Union is weak and washed up. The new generation of the union are running it into the ground too. They are all selfers. I was friends with a union steward once, and he recently retired. I went to the local watering hole to bid him farewell. Needless to say I wasn't very welcome at the party.

He told me the days of people taking pride in a job well done is over. He said a fair days pay, for a fair days work is over. He told me that he was having trouble going to bat for some of his younger brothers because they were pieces of doo doo, and deep down he knew they didn't deserve the job, or benefits that are provided by UPS. He said at one time he worked with a team and the term "move to the work" meant something, it meant bailing out your friend so they could go have a beer together.

Now when people run out of work, they go to the bathroom. Instead of helping someone else out... They go to the bathroom. I hope this flies. I bet bathroom breaks instantly are cut in half...

You must have turned 50 this year? Its the same old, "back in the day I....". People are the same, there have always been bads ones. You are the one that has changed over the years, your views of the world are now set in stone.

The vast majority of employees are hard working, do the right thing people. We like our jobs (read paychecks) and we do our best to keep things moving and working productively. What we don't like is being penalized because less than 1% of the workforce abuses the system. Making everyone suiffer and clock in and out to pee would not surprise me, but would certainly disappoint me.

On a side note I would like to see UPS go back to giving a few carrots once in a while instead of more sticks. But, yes you're right, sticks are free and results can be seen immediatly. Carrots cost money and the results are long term investments that can't be justified on a spreadsheet.

Robert

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Although I strongly disagree with your post, there is some truth in the fact that this generation of new hire has a completely different work ethic than did mine. They all have a sense of entitlement like everyone owes them something and they don't have to earn their stripes like all of us did coming up thru the ranks. I suppose it's all the technology and modern amenities that helped lead to the "I don't have to work, Someone will give me what I want" mentality. Or maybe it's just our generations fault for spoiling the kids too much. Whatever it is, kids don't want to work these days like we did 20 years ago!!