Our CEO

W

wakyzachyUPS

Just wondering if there is any way we can get our ceo changed because ups is sort of in a downfall. I know this because I am in revenue and we see the number of packages being processed going down and down. Does he have a term period or a date of when he as to retire? If there is such a day, mark it because this will be the day when UPS will be great agin. I hope his people are reading this and are shaking their heads yes, yes it will be.

psstdrvr

I couldn't agree with you more. Just compare the growth of Fed Ex stock to UPS stock and it is very obvious there is a major problem. Why the board of directors fails to see this is beyond me. I know alot of dedicated employees, both management and hourly who are frustrated and disgusted the way this company is being run since Eskew took the helm. If some type of change does not take place soon we will never recoup what is being lost. Happy 100th year anniversary!!!!!!!! What a joke!!!!!

raceanoncr

Just wondering if there is any way we can get our ceo changed because ups is sort of in a downfall. I know this because I am in revenue and we see the number of packages being processed going down and down. Does he have a term period or a date of when he as to retire? If there is such a day, mark it because this will be the day when UPS will be great agin. I hope his people are reading this and are shaking their heads yes, yes it will be.

Uh, yeah, unidentifed poster, we're gonna jump on the bandwagon with you on THIS one.

Anyone ELSE from corporate reading this?

Channahon

You were saying

Traffic World - Feb. 5, 2007
UPS Mixes Down
By Paul Page
The worst thing about the fourth quarter for UPS was what it said about the coming year. The word’s largest parcel carrier earned a $4.2 billion net profit in 2006, including a $1.13 billion profit in the fourth quarter that was 7.5 percent better than the same period a year ago. The $47.55 billion in revenue for the full year was 11.7 percent better than the company counted in 2005, and the $12.6 billion in revenue in the fourth quarter came from what Chairman and CEO Mike Eskew called a “well-executed peak season.”

W

wakyzachyUPS

You were saying

Traffic World - Feb. 5, 2007
UPS Mixes Down
By Paul Page
The worst thing about the fourth quarter for UPS was what it said about the coming year. The word’s largest parcel carrier earned a $4.2 billion net profit in 2006, including a $1.13 billion profit in the fourth quarter that was 7.5 percent better than the same period a year ago. The $47.55 billion in revenue for the full year was 11.7 percent better than the company counted in 2005, and the $12.6 billion in revenue in the fourth quarter came from what Chairman and CEO Mike Eskew called a “well-executed peak season.”

Ummm yea and. We lost so many regular folks this year. Big companies are also shipping less and less. Trust me. The volume tonight was just a bit over 100,000 pices. On tuesday it was around 95,000 pieces. Last year on tuesday it was 120,000 pieces. Oh whats the problem now. Who cares about how much money we are makeing its how well we make it. Money does not last forever its our coustomers that last forever. NO HAPPY COUSTOMERS NO MONEY. Simple......

canon

Just wondering if there is any way we can get our ceo changed because ups is sort of in a downfall.
Have you tried starting a petition at your location?

I would like to know what volume growth is like now compared to pre-PAS and as PAS has been implemented. The inconsistant delivery times by unknown drivers alone sparked complaints from every customer I had on my last route. I remember right after 9/11 one of the main reasons UPS gave the public concerning our advantage to security in the shipping industry was the drivers know their customers and vice versa. So much for that.

As we slowly become more like our competitors, we lose the reasons people shipped with us. Eventually, the personable driver that won the respect and accounts will be replaced by the only remaining constant: our ever increasing prices. It's not a battle we're currently ready to win.

Yeah, I too hope someone in corporate is listening.

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
Have you tried starting a petition at your location?

I would like to know what volume growth is like now compared to pre-PAS and as PAS has been implemented. The inconsistant delivery times by unknown drivers alone sparked complaints from every customer I had on my last route. I remember right after 9/11 one of the main reasons UPS gave the public concerning our advantage to security in the shipping industry was the drivers know their customers and vice versa. So much for that.

As we slowly become more like our competitors, we lose the reasons people shipped with us. Eventually, the personable driver that won the respect and accounts will be replaced by the only remaining constant: our ever increasing prices. It's not a battle we're currently ready to win.

Yeah, I too hope someone in corporate is listening.
Agreed!!!! :thumbup1:

P

pkybfrd

Glad you asked. Yes, he has "a term period or a date of when he as to retire."

One of the people that will determine that date is named "Mike."

In fact, he will be the PRIMARY person that makes that decision.

No, in fact none of the "problems" UPS is experiencing today is a Mike problem.

The problems UPS has today were inherited from two loons that preceded him.

Mike knows EXACTLY what UPS needs to do and why. He's taking tiny little baby steps in that direction.

You're correct that when UPS does it, it will begin a period where UPS will be great again - not immediately, but over a decade or so.

There will be several hundreds of thousands of very unhappy Teamsters though. Understand that and make whatever contingency plans you need to make.

Essentially you're still watching the cookie and not the ball... big picture... you're supposed to know that.

Channahon

Ummm yea and. We lost so many regular folks this year. Big companies are also shipping less and less. Trust me. The volume tonight was just a bit over 100,000 pices. On tuesday it was around 95,000 pieces. Last year on tuesday it was 120,000 pieces. Oh whats the problem now. Who cares about how much money we are makeing its how well we make it. Money does not last forever its our coustomers that last forever. NO HAPPY COUSTOMERS NO MONEY. Simple......
While I admire your interest in UPS and statistics you quote, there is a lot more involved in UPS revenue than the packages you noted in your building. Here's a list of all UPS revenue producing entities.

1.gif
UPS Stores, UPS Air Cargo, UPS Capital, UPS Consulting, UPS Freight, UPS Logistic Technologies, UPS Mail Innovations, UPS Professional Services, UPS Sonic Air and UPS Supply Chain Solutions. All have business plans, budgets, etc to bring revenues to UPS.

While you may see a decrease in your building, customers may very well be using other UPS services.

So do we need to hold onto our customers, you bet. Does UPS access their needs and bring the best solution using the entities noted above. Sure they do, the name of the game is value for both UPS and the customers.

Dfigtree

JIM MUST GO.

Jim will leave after the celebrating is over. Hubris is a cardinal sin. Nonetheless, our CEO is showing he can HUBRIS with the best of the them. The real question is "Why wasn't UPS back dating options?" Heck, everybody was doing it. Was our CFO too stupid or too smart to do that. Now, IF we had back dated options, then JIM would be gone. Scott would be gone. And, probably Dave, too. Our troubles would be over or maybe just beginning. WHO WOULD BE THE REPLACEMENTS?

A

an anonymous guest

Isn't the big golf outing (I mean management conference) coming up. All UPS issues are solved just before that conference every year, so we all should be buying up the stock. I wonder if the issues with Worldship will be resolved by then. Most customers have several options in the shipping room, if one shipping system fails, just slide your skeedaddy chair over to the next.

Go UPS!
P71

Channahon

JIM MUST GO.

Jim will leave after the celebrating is over. Hubris is a cardinal sin. Nonetheless, our CEO is showing he can HUBRIS with the best of the them. The real question is "Why wasn't UPS back dating options?" Heck, everybody was doing it. Was our CFO too stupid or too smart to do that. Now, IF we had back dated options, then JIM would be gone. Scott would be gone. And, probably Dave, too. Our troubles would be over or maybe just beginning. WHO WOULD BE THE REPLACEMENTS?
Can you explain the option backdating?

Just Lurking

Can you explain the option backdating?

Options backdating is the practice of the grant of restricted employee stock options at an exercise price equal to the value on the date that the grant is apparently made. However, the date chosen for the grant date is cherry picked to select an earlier date, one when the price of the underlying stock was lower. This results in a value of the option most favorable to the employee receiving it. This practice reduces the risk of share price going down for the year.

W

wakyzachyUPS

While I admire your interest in UPS and statistics you quote, there is a lot more involved in UPS revenue than the packages you noted in your building. Here's a list of all UPS revenue producing entities.

1.gif
UPS Stores, UPS Air Cargo, UPS Capital, UPS Consulting, UPS Freight, UPS Logistic Technologies, UPS Mail Innovations, UPS Professional Services, UPS Sonic Air and UPS Supply Chain Solutions. All have business plans, budgets, etc to bring revenues to UPS.

While you may see a decrease in your building, customers may very well be using other UPS services.

So do we need to hold onto our customers, you bet. Does UPS access their needs and bring the best solution using the entities noted above. Sure they do, the name of the game is value for both UPS and the customers.

Good point Channahon. We could always count on you to make us re think out opinion. Hopefully things can only get better and not worse.

canon

Just lurking - thanks for the explanation. Haven't there been some companies that got in trouble for this?
CNNMoney said:
At its worst, the practice is called backdating because an executive manages to move the date of a stock option back in time, presumably to when the stock price was lower. Stock options grant the recipient the right to buy shares at the stated price after a certain period of time has gone by. If the market price is higher than the so-called strike price, the employee makes money. Find a way to lower the price of the grant - by moving back the grant date during a rising market, for example - and the option is worth even more.
Full Article: http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/26/magazines/fortune/lashinsky.fortune/index.htm

moreluck

golden ticket member
Canon...it's early and I'm not thinking too clearly yet, but wouldn't that 'backdating' thing make the cap. gains tax higher when they sell the stock?

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
JIM MUST GO.

Jim will leave after the celebrating is over. Hubris is a cardinal sin. Nonetheless, our CEO is showing he can HUBRIS with the best of the them. The real question is "Why wasn't UPS back dating options?" Heck, everybody was doing it. Was our CFO too stupid or too smart to do that. Now, IF we had back dated options, then JIM would be gone. Scott would be gone. And, probably Dave, too. Our troubles would be over or maybe just beginning. WHO WOULD BE THE REPLACEMENTS?[/QUOTE]

Replacements------it could always be worse.True all things that happen are blamed on our CEO---this is a CEO who is reponsible for 5% of the GNP--which is what UPS represents.Our business has changed----we have a lot of revenue streams just as CHANNAHAN indicates in a previous post:

UPS Stores, UPS Air Cargo, UPS Capital, UPS Consulting, UPS Freight, UPS Logistic Technologies, UPS Mail Innovations, UPS Professional Services, UPS Sonic Air and UPS Supply Chain Solutions------we have moved from being a 20+ Billion company before Eskew was at the helm---now we are approching $$40 BILLION---a good problem to have!!!!!!

Are we losing volume----yes---will we continue to lose volume-yes --UPS can't charge rates that are lower than our cost to serve--and because we have a higher wage/benefit cost, our non-union competitors like Fed Ex and DHL can steal large customers away with much lower rates.So UPS has ventured into non-package business.( I used to know a guy that worked for UPS Supply Chain Solutions and all he did was the tech stuff for customers like Amazon--Dell and a couple others --billing and tracking --and performance reports--his group was responsible for $1 Billion in non-package revenues!)

So my point is-----making $1.3 Billion "PROFIT" for the 4th Qtr of 2006 is not a bad thing and I hope thet Eskew keeps the revenues and profits coming in.

My only wish is that we get better in the reporting of our $$$ to Wall Street and hopefully all of my Teamster Brothers ( I am receiving a monthly pension check form the Western Conference!)will remember come contract time that we have some bitter competition that is non-union that will be kicking our butts when it comes to stealing our customers away----stop wanting more and be satisfied with what we have compared to our competition!!