Out of shape. Should I wait?

memphis12

I was very out of shape when I took the package handler job right before peak (Christmas) 2011. The first month or two was brutal. I have worked a desk job for over 25 years and I am 48. I have never done a physical job before the most exercise I got was walking my dog. I don't smoke or drink but I do eat and was about 70-80 pounds overweight. I felt like I wanted to throw up the first hour of every shift. I was ribbed by the guys during every shift about how long it took me to unload a truck. After a couple of months, things got easier, I got stronger and had more endurance. Now, six months in, I feel great. Lost about forty pounds and I can lift a 150 pound irregular package by myself whereas in the beginning I would not touch anything over 75 pounds.
What helped in the beginning:
Chewing gum (sugar free) in the first hour of my shift, kept the feeling of needing to throw up away.
Drinking a lot of water. Not soda, juice or sugar drinks during my shift. Now I drink Propel Zero. On really hot days I wear a camel back to keep the water close at hand.
I do not eat anything two hours before my shift. No heavy foods five hours before shift. Well I do eat a package of belvita biscuits right before shift. (Belvita Hotels S�dtirol - beauty fitness wellness in alto adige suedtirol south tyrol).
I paced myself, I think what other people say, it is a marathon not a sprint.
I lifted safely at all times. It would be very easy to injure yourself in the beginning. Doing stretching exercises before working is very important.
This part is overkill, but remember I am 48, older and my joints are older. I wear several protective joint coverings while I work. Specifically: Elbow tendon wraps (��Elbow Support with Pressure Pads),
wrist wraps,(any kind would do)
Male compression shirt (this provides vital support to my back and my belly which is still fat... Holds my core stable)
(Amazon.com: Underworks Mens Microfiber Compression Tank 3-Pack: Clothing)
Lower back support belt
Knee wrap.

Again, those support things are probably overkill, but with additional weight, there is a lot of stress on joints. The support wraps really helped and still help me stay healthy and safe while doing this very physical job.

I say go for it. It was the only way I was able to get in shape and get on top of my health. Nothing my doctor said influenced me. This job got me in shape and got me to pay attention to my health.

Thanks a lot. Very informative and help. Really appreciate it.

memphis12

When I started preload, I was out of shape in all aspects. Muscle, size, maybe even health.
I have been working since last Sept, I've lost 30-35 pounds, and I feel a hell of a lot better than I did before.

As long as you can put up with the bs, show up every day, and work, you will get into shape on your own.
I'd recommend an over-the-counter pain reliever for the first couple months. Whichever one works for you.

Just busy your as for thirty days and then your in the union.

Thanks a lot for the input/advice, guys.

memphis12

I was very out of shape when I took the package handler job right before peak (Christmas) 2011. The first month or two was brutal. I have worked a desk job for over 25 years and I am 48. I have never done a physical job before the most exercise I got was walking my dog. I don't smoke or drink but I do eat and was about 70-80 pounds overweight. I felt like I wanted to throw up the first hour of every shift. I was ribbed by the guys during every shift about how long it took me to unload a truck. After a couple of months, things got easier, I got stronger and had more endurance. Now, six months in, I feel great. Lost about forty pounds and I can lift a 150 pound irregular package by myself whereas in the beginning I would not touch anything over 75 pounds.
Chewing gum (sugar free) in the first hour of my shift, kept the feeling of needing to throw up away.
Drinking a lot of water. Not soda, juice or sugar drinks during my shift. Now I drink Propel Zero. On really hot days I wear a camel back to keep the water close at hand.
I do not eat anything two hours before my shift. No heavy foods five hours before shift. Well I do eat a package of belvita biscuits right before shift. (Belvita Hotels S�dtirol - beauty fitness wellness in alto adige suedtirol south tyrol).
I lifted safely at all times. It would be very easy to injure yourself in the beginning. Doing stretching exercises before working is very important.
This part is overkill, but remember I am 48, older and my joints are older. I wear several protective joint coverings while I work. Specifically: Elbow tendon wraps (��Elbow Support with Pressure Pads),
Male compression shirt (this provides vital support to my back and my belly which is still fat... Holds my core stable)
Lower back support belt
Knee wrap.

Again, those support things are probably overkill, but with additional weight, there is a lot of stress on joints. The support wraps really helped and still help me stay healthy and safe while doing this very physical job.

I say go for it. It was the only way I was able to get in shape and get on top of my health. Nothing my doctor said influenced me. This job got me in shape and got me to pay attention to my health.

Wow. Thanks a lot, man. Very informative and helpful. Very appreciative of taking out the time to go in such detail to be helpful. Thanks again.

S

splozi

What kind of work have you done coming to this job, that would probably be a good indicator of whether you can do it or not.

This does not apply to all people.

My first two jobs, I worked at a call center. After that, I was self-employed and my work consisted of Internet sales and lots of driving (300k+ miles over a 6-year period). I worked on my own schedule. If I didn't feel like getting up in the morning, I didn't (and by morning, I mean noon). If I felt like getting drunk all night and going to bed at 8am, I did. I have never worked a physical labor job in my entire life. Now I wake up at 12-2:45am every morning to go load package cars for 4+ hours, and I haven't missed a day or been late since starting.

There's a full time sup at my center who told me that as soon as he saw me he was sure I wouldn't make it. I suppose I understand that. Most people that start this job are in much, MUCH better shape than I was when I started. And most of those people quit. ...if that tells you anything.

anonymous4

Just push yourself more and more every day and things will get easier. I came here in better shape than most. After five years, I have chimp strength. I wrestled in high school and now grapple at a gym. My strength relative to my size is impressive. That's what moving heavy objects, quickly for four hours a night will do. Eat your protein!

memphis12

Thanks again everyone. Ironically, while I'm outside waiting for the tour (which we didn't get. just an outside interview for literally 2 minutes, if that.) literally 2 different guys walked by and said, "Eaaasiest job in the wooorld, man!" Totally threw me off Haha. Not expecting any thing different from what I've read on here, though. Seems like i will have a span of a few weeks (if hired) to do some serious exercising. Think I'll take advantage of that. Anyways, thanks again everyone.

dcpathfndr

Lower back support belt
Knee wrap.

Very helpful and great advice! I'm in the same spot as you were! Thanks!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hi, I'm interviewing for the Package Handler position and I've heard it's very physically demanding. I'm really out of shape right now. Not "size" wise, but I've been bumming it out for the last few months and I've done no exercise. Is it a situation I can work myself into shape, or is it so extreme that I might need to hold off until I get in some type of shape ?
You will be fine. They need bodies.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hi, I'm interviewing for the Package Handler position and I've heard it's very physically demanding. I'm really out of shape right now. Not "size" wise, but I've been bumming it out for the last few months and I've done no exercise. Is it a situation I can work myself into shape, or is it so extreme that I might need to hold off until I get in some type of shape ?
Did u quit

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Lower back support belt
Knee wrap.

This sounds like @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U