Oz Nelson Passed

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
Most of you folks are too young to remember the Quality project in the 1990s. The goal was to provide perfect service no matter the cost. I am honestly not certain that was the true intent of the project, but that was how it was interpreted by the front line. It was a disaster. It turns out that cost is a component of quality...Go figure.

And residential delivery (being drudged up as deferred delivery). That mess devolved from grouping (based on location) and deferring delivery on specific days to grouping everything and not delivering any of it.

The basic issue with these types of programs is that UPS always puts out new metrics to measure the effort. These metrics are rarely tested or well-thought out and almost always lead to unintended consequences.

oldngray

nowhere special
Most of you folks are too young to remember the Quality project in the 1990s. The goal was to provide perfect service no matter the cost. I am honestly not certain that was the true intent of the project, but that was how it was interpreted by the front line. It was a disaster. It turns out that cost is a component of quality...Go figure.

And residential delivery (being drudged up as deferred delivery). That mess devolved from grouping (based on location) and deferring delivery on specific days to grouping everything and not delivering any of it.

The basic issue with these types of programs is that UPS always puts out new metrics to measure the effort. These metrics are rarely tested or well-thought out and almost always lead to unintended consequences.
Deferred delivery ended up being used as little more than a dispatch tool.

qdg2

Finally.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1681208815556.png

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

I was there in the 90’s, we had a part time supervisor get fired for leaving a NDA letter in a sort cage…times have sure changed..

worldwide

DIAD 1 was great for keeping dogs at bay. Who still has the silver metal clasp that was used to hold the paper delivery records to the clipboard as well as cut off the NDA/2DA tags shown in the picture? Write the time of delivery and name of consignee on the tags and hand in a fist-full of them back at the center for someone to key enter into the basic tracking system (that I think Oz put into place).

pkgdriver

DIAD 1 was great for keeping dogs at bay. Who still has the silver metal clasp that was used to hold the paper delivery records to the clipboard as well as cut off the NDA/2DA tags shown in the picture? Write the time of delivery and name of consignee on the tags and hand in a fist-full of them back at the center for someone to key enter into the basic tracking system (that I think Oz put into place).
4568FC7B-6014-4C1F-BFE3-A729FDA03D2A.jpeg

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Started 1990. It was very different.