Package Cars

Babagounj

Strength through joy
We got a couple of old P500, from Cape Cod I was told. Good solid work horses, but could be better if they were automatics, since they are to replace the P32's , which are quickly falling apart.
Just last week 2 P32s from Worcester showed up. These cars are like new ( to us ) built in 2000 and having under 200,000 miles each.

Big Babooba

The best truck I ever had was a 1996 International P700 with the 5-speed trans and Powerstroke diesel. It was gutless, but it was a very good work platform. Low to the ground, plenty of legroom, etc. They took it away from me and sent it down to Eugene about 6 months ago, it was running just fine with a tad over 200,000 miles on it. I'm quite sure they could get 30 years or more out of it as long as they are willing to replace the engine a couple of times.
I've driven 2 routes that had them. The gas pedals are electronic - there is no accelerator cable. I had one with a bad pedal where you could walk faster than the car would run with the pedal to the floor. The mechanic had to change the pedal. The other had issues with go power. That one needed a new turbo. They both went plenty fast after repairs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On a side note, does anyone know how long its going to take to replace the fleet with new automatic, power steering diesel vehicels?

I got mine last week and it is sweet. Automatic, power steering, 3 point seat belt, wipers and washer that actually work, heater that works. The only "problem" is that it seems to swing a bit bigger in the turns but, beyond that, it should make my last 11 years much more bearable, at least from a pkg car stand point.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One nice thing about being in Oregon is that all the new pkg cars for the entire country are purchased here, used for a year or two, then sent on to wherever they are needed. There is no sales tax here in Oregon, so UPS can save a fortune by "buying" them here. Once they have 10 or 20 thousand miles on them they have depreciated 40% of their value and are much cheaper to register in other states. This means that, even though we still have our share of old junkers, most of our equipment is pretty new.

One nice thing about being in Oregon is that all the new pkg cars for the entire country are purchased here, used for a year or two, then sent on to wherever they are needed. There is no sales tax here in Oregon, so UPS can save a fortune by "buying" them here. Once they have 10 or 20 thousand miles on them they have depreciated 40% of their value and are much cheaper to register in other states. This means that, even though we still have our share of old junkers, most of our equipment is pretty new.

Where is the big savings? UPS doesn't pay sales tax. They are exempt like most companies and small businesses.

In most states if you are the "end user" you pay sales tax. Now the IRS lets them deduct most if not all of that for the end run, but the state still get's theirs.