Package Handler Questions

Rawrzxor

Okay, so I've learned a lot about UPS from various drivers this season. My legs are thankful that's over, now, but my arms are getting kinda jealous.

So, I wanted to get some input on the things drivers have told me.

Does UPS drug test part-time handlers upon initial hiring?

Are you bodily searched after you leave work? (Like TSA level violation, or like a pat down or something?)

Are people often fired for very little reason, then can be rehired with the help of the union?

How do I do about finding a steward to pay my union dues and get into the union?

Are you able to apply for either a sorter or a loader--or, do you apply for PT-PH, then tell them?

Do sorters make more money than loaders?

I think that's about it.

blkmamba

Okay, so I've learned a lot about UPS from various drivers this season. My legs are thankful that's over, now, but my arms are getting kinda jealous.

Are you bodily searched after you leave work? (Like TSA level violation, or like a pat down or something?)

Are people often fired for very little reason, then can be rehired with the help of the union?

How do I do about finding a steward to pay my union dues and get into the union?

Are you able to apply for either a sorter or a loader--or, do you apply for PT-PH, then tell them?

I think that's about it.

Why do you care that they drug test?
The answer is no, they do not drug test unless you are going for a driving position.

They do not bodily search you, you go through a metal detector and/or get the wand. Why does this even matter?

People are not fired for very little reason, management that is smart will try to build a solid case before firing someone. Otherwise, it will not stick and they will be back in a few days.

Usually you will join the union upon being hired.

You do not get a choice when you are hired, they will put you where there is a need. Yes, in most buildings sorters get an extra dollar an hour.

Rawrzxor

Rofl oldngray. xD

I don't care that they drug test; I'm actually planning on becoming a driver ASAP, and I know they test for them.

I've been around some friends who were smoking weed, recently; and I was worried it might make me test positive. I don't want anything ruining my chances of getting a driver position, so that's why I asked.

I also want to know as much as possible about the company and the inner workings of the HUB, since I'm planning on making it a career if I decide not to pursue a college education. And some of the stuff my drivers told me seemed unlikely--like the firing people for a small mistake.

He said that he called his supervisor and told him that he had to bring 50 packages back, because they all weren't home. The supervisor said that was fine, but they fired the driver anyway.

I'm like...hmmm. What? Then he said stuff like that happens all the time, and you might have to fly to Florida an get a hotel on your own dime to sit in front of a council or something to get your job back.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Hey rawrzxor, thank you for your hard work this season! Your career here will be a worthy one you will enjoy and be proud to be a part of. If you plan on being a driver ASAP be sure to keep working hard and be the best worker so your management team will notice. If you ever need help feel free to PM me, I will guide you to the best of my ability.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hey rawrzxor, thank you for your hard work this season! Your career here will be a worthy one you will enjoy and be proud to be a part of. If you plan on being a driver ASAP be sure to keep working hard and be the best worker so your management team will notice. If you ever need help feel free to PM me, I will guide you to the best of my ability.

Working hard doesn't get you anywhere here, their favorites (who don't work hard most of the time) will always get first pick over you unless you or someone in your building with a spine enforce the contract. I realize the only thing working hard gets you here is impunity from discipline and more hard work.

PT Car Washer

Seniority helps, but a lot of guys don't want to sort because of learning where everything goes. Not really a big deal as it's the same stuff everyday. Lot easier then loading or unloading. You do know you have to be 21 to drive. People don't just get fired for any little thing. You have to really screw up big time. Like not showing up for work. Getting into a fight. Stealing.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

If they did, few people would work here.

If your building has metal detectors (most don't, just the larger ones + those in rough 'hoods) and you set it off (after placing your belongings on the counter--which are subject to inspection), you get wanded and then perhaps patted down if the guard's suspicious. We have wannabe cops and we also have guards that only harass the girls (and not the fat ones ;) ).

Depends on management style and labor needs. I've worked with tyrants who literally seek reasons to fire people (some people firing employees gets them noticed for promotions) and I've worked with managers who turn the other way when PTers fight, come to work drunk, etc. In general, terminations among low-seniority PTers are not common, and typically require excessive misloads, fighting/sexual harassment or horrendous attendance (50+ lates, 20+ call-ins, etc.). There's definitely a separate set of standards once you've been here awhile (years), though. If you can make it through your 30 days, you have little to worry about. They do dismiss employees who don't hustle during their 30 days or continuously misload.

If you're fired, you'll typically get another chance (misloads, attendance, etc.) unless you've made physical contact with somebody or committed theft.

If you live in a RTW state, he/she should introduce themselves -- and the union -- to you. Ask then. If you do not live in a RTW state, you'll fill out the forms during orientation (it's automatic).

You start wherever they tell you to. You can let them know where you'd like to, but it probably won't be honored. They use to start people unloading trailers, but that's not so common anymore -- nowadays, they like to stick people loading trucks, since that's where the greatest need is, but you could get lucky and unload/SPA, sort or work in small sort.

Once you attain seniority, you can declare your intent to work in a specific area; job vacancies are then filled by the highest-seniority employees who've requested to perform that work. Ask your steward about this, since many managers harass people who try to change areas.

Per contract, sorters and loaders earn $1 more. However, there's reports on here that some locations no longer do so. It's also common for some buildings to start everybody at the skilled rate (currently $9.50, increasing to $11 with new contract).

UPSGUY72

Only if you give them a reason to... If it's positive you done...

If your thinking about stealing your going to get caught and if they only fire you'll be lucky getting led out in hand cuff isn't out of the question.

I guess that depends on what a very little reason is. The union will go to bat for you but that doesn't mean you have a free ticket to be a total a-hole. If your always in need of union representation sooner of later the union is going to cut there looses and your going to be on the losing end or the union just isn't going to be able to do anything to get your job back because you already burned all the bridges...

Unless your in a RTW state your automatically enrolled and your dues are automatically taken out of your check.

Your apply for a PT package handler position. You might work the preload or local sort and depending on there needs and your skills depends on where you will get put.

In some building there are preferred job position that get paid $1 more and and some building like the one I started in everyone got the $1 to start.

I think that's about it.

laffter

I read through about half of this thread and I'll write this post accordingly. Getting a specific position in your building will depend on your building. In preload, on my belt, right now, we're trying a new hire out as pick-off... which is a sorting position. We've tried several others over the past months and nobody has worked out. In some buildings you'd be looking at a 6-8+ year wait for a driving position. Here, 2-3 is typical. In others, one year is not uncommon. It depends. All you can do is start working and feel it out.

blkmamba

I've been with UPS for 20 years and driving for almost 18 of those and I have NEVER been tested for drugs. Maybe I'm special.

Maybe, but as former management and I have friends who are on-road supervisors who say that they really only test you if they suspect something. Though I though an initial test was taken to become a driver, but I am probably wrong.

UPSGUY72

36 years at UPS and never been tested for drugs. I don't think I am special.

I have know a couple of people get canned for failing drug test not the first time either they knew that they could be tested at any time they sign a paper in order to get there job back the last time they fail a drug test.

They only test the people that give them a reason to...( ie coming to work stoned, drunk, etc )