Pandemic burden, summer heat, no A/C - UPS driver says job has become dangerously 'exhausting'

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Pandemic burden, summer heat, no A/C - UPS driver says job has become dangerously 'exhausting' - 11 Alive

Even under normal circumstances, summer can be a difficult time for UPS drivers - especially in a state like Georgia. These are most certainly not normal times, and an Atlanta area driver says under the additional burdens of the pandemic, the job is becoming unbearable.

The driver, who wished to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation, told 11Alive she normally loves her work.

But now, she says, it has "become a very exhausting job mentally and physically - very hard days, very long days actually now. It's kind of just taking over our bodies."

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
They just don't make em like they used to.

...would you be a good sport and indulge us and just...tell us a little more?
office-space.gif

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
before working for UPS for 23 years I worked for non union trucking companies for almost 14. hauling and unloading mt 55 gallon barrels in 45 ft trailers in 100 degree heat in Merced , CA. before the tomato season started. hauling doubles to Phoenix with insulation and unloading by hand insulation from 3M when it was over 120 degrees in trailers and a lot more than that.

back in the 80's you unloaded your own trailers after driving all night to get to a consignee. then spent the rest of day getting a backhaul so you could drive all night again with an hour sleep here and there. but none of you ladies ever did that to earn your chops. when i first started working at UPS I used to laugh at the drivers who complained about EVERYTHING. the only ones who would understand would be the ones who have been there.

so don't tell me you package drivers have it hard. the trick is to stay hydrated work the methods and take your scheduled breaks and meals and you will survive like tens of thousands before you.

11.19igrad

before working for UPS for 23 years I worked for non union trucking companies for almost 14. hauling and unloading mt 55 gallon barrels in 45 ft trailers in 100 degree heat in Merced , CA. before the tomato season started. hauling doubles to Phoenix with insulation and unloading by hand insulation from 3M when it was over 120 degrees in trailers and a lot more than that.

back in the 80's you unloaded your own trailers after driving all night to get to a consignee. then spent the rest of day getting a backhaul so you could drive all night again with an hour sleep here and there. but none of you ladies ever did that to earn your chops. when i first started working at UPS I used to laugh at the drivers who complained about EVERYTHING. the only ones who would understand would be the ones who have been there.

so don't tell me you package drivers have it hard. the trick is to stay hydrated work the methods and take your scheduled breaks and meals and you will survive like tens of thousands before you.
damn

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants

so you purposefully took the lives of every motorist on the road with you, because of "an hour of sleep here and there". you sound like a selfish POS baby boomer.

hows your mustang doing?[/QUOTE]

tripwiggin

Pandemic burden, summer heat, no A/C - UPS driver says job has become dangerously 'exhausting' - 11 Alive

Even under normal circumstances, summer can be a difficult time for UPS drivers - especially in a state like Georgia. These are most certainly not normal times, and an Atlanta area driver says under the additional burdens of the pandemic, the job is becoming unbearable.

The driver, who wished to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation, told 11Alive she normally loves her work.

But now, she says, it has "become a very exhausting job mentally and physically - very hard days, very long days actually now. It's kind of just taking over our bodies."
This job is not for everyone. Shes only 3 years in and that miserable? Go do something else.

FreedomOne

Well our preload in GA is working full time hrs in our little sweat box building since April and it truly sucks. This :censored2: is completely out of control.

Ghost in the Darkness

Personally I think AC makes you soft, but I think it should be added to the fleet. UPS lies when they say it would make a difference. It would, drivers would keep doors shut when getting in or out much like in the winter time. Its always a money issue.
I admit I enjoy seeing them get bad press for the crap they pull or think is ok. There is a reason customers love their drivers, but not necessarily ups the company.