"Part Time" Air drivers

Method Mensch

We have three part time air drivers in my hub, two of which have been working full time hrs for the past 18 months. My question is should those two positions be two new full time jobs? Bidable by senior employees? Even though they are air only.
I'm a "part time" Air Driver that worked a year's worth of 60 hour weeks in 2020. Not so much in 2021 so far. I think the main appeal to management is flexibility. When they don't need us, they send us home after our air loop is done. They use as utility players when they do need us. After an air run, they have us chase down misloads and deliver them or take out bulk that didn't fit and is left in the building. Maybe somebody's two wheeler broke and they need me to bring out a new one. A driver needs help, so take 50 stops off of them. Bulk runs, etc. I have a 3 1/2 hour guarantee, not an 8 hour one.

PT Car Washer

I'm a "part time" Air Driver that worked a year's worth of 60 hour weeks in 2020. Not so much in 2021 so far. I think the main appeal to management is flexibility. When they don't need us, they send us home after our air loop is done. They use as utility players when they do need us. After an air run, they have us chase down misloads and deliver them or take out bulk that didn't fit and is left in the building. Maybe somebody's two wheeler broke and they need me to bring out a new one. A driver needs help, so take 50 stops off of them. Bulk runs, etc. I have a 3 1/2 hour guarantee, not an 8 hour one.
Been doing this for over 20 years. No accountability and thank you for helping us out. I make more money working PT than 22.4 or 22.3 Union members. Thank you Teamsters.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
It is very doubtful the use of part time air drivers will be around for very much longer. Some of the EAM guys only get 3 hours a day so far this year. I think 5years from now there will be no more air drivers.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have been working FT hours doing air exception and car wash for over 20 years. The last few years a lot of other PT jumped on the gravy train when they saw how much I was making with very little real work. That has all came to an end at least for right now. Why would anyone want to be a 22.4 when you can make more money working PT as an air driver? Thank you Teamsters.
I was air exception/local sort for quite a while leading up to me going full-time. It was so tempting to stay that way but our air exception work had been eliminated several times before so I decided to go full-time. You never know how long those cuts are going to last. The last cut lasted for over five years. And there were several brief cuts before that.

So, I am glad I never decided to continue that like you have. The cuts started when a couple of the more senior drivers started demanding that EAMs were “extra work“ and would come in early and run those. What’s odd is they didn’t apply the same logic to the NDA’s that were also part of those air exception runs. When they started running EAM’s management decided to disburse the regular air back on to the regular routes.

If those guys hadn’t made that an issue the air exceptition routes might have even been combined with preload or the customer counter to create 22.3s. We just got air exception back a few years ago. But it never touches EAM’s.

542thruNthru

I was air exception/local sort for quite a while leading up to me going full-time. It was so tempting to stay that way but our air exception work had been eliminated several times before so I decided to go full-time. You never know how long those cuts are going to last. The last cut lasted for over five years. And there were several brief cuts before that.

So, I am glad I never decided to continue that like you have. The cuts started when a couple of the more senior drivers started demanding that EAMs were “extra work“ and would come in early and run those. What’s odd is they didn’t apply the same logic to the NDA’s that were also part of those air exception runs. When they started running EAM’s management decided to disburse the regular air back on to the regular routes.

If those guys hadn’t made that an issue the air exceptition routes might have even been combined with preload or the customer counter to create 22.3s. We just got air exception back a few years ago. But it never touches EAM’s.
Here most EAMs are delivered by high seniority bid route driver's also.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I know some people are going to ding me for saying this but it's crappy ethics for the company to repeatedly ask me to be used as a PT PVD or air driver after being disqualified for methods violations off the rip. Sucks to them that I'm both stubborn and entitled.
Oh well, I have a decent chance of winning a combo car wash/preload position soon regardless.