Part Time Feeder Supervisor Help

Executioner

I walked into the facility expecting a secondary interview for the Part Time Package Handler position. I kind of got one, and learned about the union and what not. Soon after the guy presenting me with all the paperwork, asked if I would like the Part Time Feeder Supervisor ( as it says on my application center) he said dispatch supervisor. I just got a sweet opportunity so I waited an hour, got an interview for the position and they seemed to like me and now I have to pass some test?

Questions-
What exactly does a Feeder Supervisor do?
How is that test? ( whats on it and how long is it)
Is there a place I can read about the position in greater detail?
Should I study something?
Do they drug test? ( not that I'm doing drugs,I just don't want piss in a cup)

The Human Resources people told me that this is a rare opportunity so I'm gonna dominate that field, I just need the information and research to become successful. I'm not afraid to step up and get it done.

I wont be driving or anything I will be working in the facility.

Johney

I have never heard of a p/t feeder supervisor. But being that it's in feeders I'd bet you need a class "A" CDL and I believe that comes with a DOT mandatory drug test.

BLACKBALLED

Read the posts around this Forum and see if it would be wise for you to become PT Sup., If you never plan on becoming a Full-time Driver and are only doing it for the income while you are in school, than maybe it would be worth it, but if you take the position you have to be prepared to be the scapegoat for Full-time management and you better not be sensitive to the ear, because they will tell you things only UPS Management get away with, fair warning!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah as has been stated if u look at ups as a career do not take this job. Search around the forum there is plenty on the subject. Although I have never heard of part time feeder sup.

Think about this for a second if the position is so great wouldn't they hire from within. Wouldn't there be someone who they KNOW is a great employee ready to take the job? You may be a good interviewer but not that good.

A pt feeder sup is someone in the position of inbounding/outbounding feeders, dispatching drivers with their assigned tractors,getting the porters keys to equipment that needs to be fueled, and other feeder dept office work.

You will not need a CDL. Odds are you will never even see a tractor.

You will however take a load of :censored2: from every direction. From the drivers. From the FT sups. From the Mgrs. Basically it's a thankless job. Some day you might get promoted to FT sup and get a pion of your own.

over9five

Staff member
A pt feeder sup is someone in the position of inbounding/outbounding feeders, dispatching drivers with their assigned tractors,getting the porters keys to equipment that needs to be fueled, and other feeder dept office work.

You will not need a CDL. Odds are you will never even see a tractor.

You will however take a load of :censored2: from every direction. From the drivers. From the FT sups. From the Mgrs. Basically it's a thankless job. Some day you might get promoted to FT sup and get a pion of your own.
^^^^Spot on!

Take the job! You sit in an air conditioned office your whole shift (other than the occasional yard check). There's always some friend/T sup around, so if anything unusual comes up you'll have help.
​Do it.

outta hours

The hours are probably not great. Feeders is a 24/7 operation. As mentioned previously it is a high stress job. Few excel at it ,maybe you will. Most end up missing a load or CPU pickup & getting fired,transferred, or assigned a shift in the middle of the night.

The hours are probably not great. Feeders is a 24/7 operation. As mentioned previously it is a high stress job. Few excel at it ,maybe you will. Most end up missing a load or CPU pickup & getting fired,transferred, or assigned a shift in the middle of the night.

He'll be safe from that. Pt's never see such responsibility.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
If it's dispatch supervisor that's one of the most stressful jobs in the Company (although the new system might be making it better). As a part time, you will be a "second" to the full time dispatch supervisor. Don't ever miss a trailer or an air pull and you'll have no problems. Very fast paced job that requires serious mulit-tasking skills especially on the night shift. Respect the drivers as they can pretty much make or break you.

Mr Shifter

Air conditioning. You will be responsible for assigning what trailers are placed on and off the building to the shifters. High stress and if the clerk answering the outboind/imbound phone calls is absent for the day you will have no replacement for the day and have that job aswell.

trickpony1

Air conditioning. You will be responsible for assigning what trailers are placed on and off the building to the shifters. High stress and if the clerk answering the outboind/imbound phone calls is absent for the day you will have no replacement for the day and have that job aswell.

I think you are referring to yard controller.
OP said feeder supervisor which may entail limited, if any, yard control.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Yes, I'm guessing it is a yard controller position. On the phone probably 90% of the time. If the phone rings in dispatch, it's usually your job to answer it and take care of the problem. Inbound and outbound drivers leaving and arriving at the facility. I believe a new system cuts down this aspect now. You only defer to the dispatcher (full time) if you can't take care of the problem. My building had 104 outbound doors and 21 unload doors. You have 2 or 3 computer screens in front of you. Your job is to pull and replace all these doors with empty/loaded trailers. The hub calls you 5 minutes before they expect the trailer to be full/empty. It is your job to coordinate all the moves done by shifters (the p/t employees under your direct control) and keep everything running smoothly and efficiently. If things begin to back up and people end up standing around waiting on you, then the phone begins to ring, from the in or outbound p/t sups up to the hub manager. The hub then calls the dispatcher and chews on him. He in turn turns around to you and chews on you. It flows downhill. It is definitely a high stress job with a pretty decent turnover. The upside is you get to sit in an office chair in the a/c. If you do well, I've seen these guys go into full time management, totally bypassing being a driver. Good luck to you.

watdaflock?

You didn't apply for the manager position in the first place, they presented this PT Feeder Sup opportunity to you on an interview coming from the outside world.
Nobody who already works where you applied is interested in the PT Feeder Sup position.
(imo - these are red flags that's it a lousy position)

Im only doing it for now. Not looking for a career in UPS, just the extra money.

Would you rather have a relatively low stressful job or be in misery for the few extra bucks? Most likey you'll find out you're the blame for everything from the supervisors and managers above you.

With the name of Executioner.......do you have an anger problem?

Last edited: