Part time preload (morning) or evening shift??

You've Got Mail

I'm in your shoes. Was a seasonal driver and yesterday was the last day. center manager talked to all of us and had us write down our names, employee ID, and degree if we had one. Said he hates to see good drivers just disappear. HR woman was there too, told us we're guaranteed to work part-time preload 4-9am. When I pick up my final check on Thursday I'm going to tell the center manager or sup that I want the job. After 9 months I'll have crazy benefits and hopefully after 1 year I'll be able to drive. I don't want to be part-time any longer than that. I can't afford to be.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm in your shoes. Was a seasonal driver and yesterday was the last day. center manager talked to all of us and had us write down our names, employee ID, and degree if we had one. Said he hates to see good drivers just disappear. HR woman was there too, told us we're guaranteed to work part-time preload 4-9am. When I pick up my final check on Thursday I'm going to tell the center manager or sup that I want the job. After 9 months I'll have crazy benefits and hopefully after 1 year I'll be able to drive. I don't want to be part-time any longer than that. I can't afford to be.
PS...until you make book...you are not guaranteed preload hours. If they need you, you will work...if they don't, you will be sent home.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Tonight, set the alarm for 3 am before you go to sleep. Get up when it goes off and start doing stuff. Report back to us what you find out?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You can afford to be I promise you. I have many friends that I could of gotten on at ups over the years. All of them said no I need a full time job now. I need the money now. I can't wait. Fast forward 10 years and I double all of their's pay except 1.

You have to see the big picture or you'll be 40 years old trying to figure out how you could of been retired in 15 years and what could of been.

HardknocksUPSer

You can afford to be I promise you. I have many friends that I could of gotten on at ups over the years. All of them said no I need a full time job now. I need the money now. I can't wait. Fast forward 10 years and I double all of their's pay except 1.

You have to see the big picture or you'll be 40 years old trying to figure out how you could of been retired in 15 years and what could of been.
That's words of wisdom, much respect.

Dub

You usually get more time working preload. Local sort here works 3 1/2 hrs . Preloaders work 5-5 1/2 hrs daily.
Time goes by faster working preload and u have rest of day for anything u need to get done.
In my center it's the opposite. I worked preload my first 5 years and you were lucky to get 18 hours a week. Evening shift guys also had the opportunity to pick up an extra shift on the 10pm-2am shift with call offs and what not. I definitely agree that time goes by faster on preload though.

HBGPreloader

I chose preload because it was the closest to a "normal" day.
Depending on your location, preload is probably the coolest - temperature wise - of all the shifts - which is relatively nice on those hot summer nights.
Every area is probably different. However, when I was first hired ~7 years ago, it was tough to get more than 3.5 - 4 hours on the shift.
Now, since the new contract, I'm getting overtime nearly every day. At a quick glance, there were maybe 10 days since last August that I didn't work some overtime (more than 5 hours).

illegalcourier

Never worked anything other than pre-load.

It is awkward hours. Everyone is half-asleep at work. It takes a cup of coffee and break to really get moving. It is very routine. Everyday is groundhog day.

Positives are: up before anyone else is even awake. Off work by 0830 - 0900. Able to handle errands when places are opening. Perhaps using pre-load as a supplement to some other daily activity for yourself (job, school, or something).

It's not bad. But takes some (2 months) getting used to.

Last edited:

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
AM preload. Short reason, PM reload sucks.

I've always been an early riser so naturally it just works better for me. The PM shift takes place between 5 and 9 at night or later, a time for me when I'm typically getting something for dinner and getting ready to go to bed by 9:30. Obviously that doesn't happen if I work that shift. Not to mention I find the PM shift just plain boring. AM on the other hand, you're done by 8:30 or 9 in the morning and you have the rest of the day to do whatever you want. The PM shift just looms over everything all day.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Do preload , offer to run out EAMs , and Saturday Airs .
Get to know how to do an area blind .
Work hard & in the long run mgt will get to know you better . Which helps .

That's what I did . Got as many hours in as possible .
When I started I was the only air driver for 4 centers ( 1986 ) , more than enough work .
It was only $10/hr , but ever hour then will help me to retire within the next 2 yrs while I'm still young .