Part-time Preload Sup...what should I do/expect?

BrownKnows

Hi guys (and gals)!

I have posted this question elsewhere, but figured I might get more answers by just starting from scratch. My local UPS hub is currently looking to hire a part-time Preload Supervisor. Now here's where it gets fuzzy for me.

I've read everyone's advice here for people to start out as a PT Package Handler, however I think my case is a bit different. I'm 27 years old, married (for 5 years), expecting a baby in October and working a pretty "cush" job at the state's flagship University. I am also a student at said University still working part-time on my bachelors degree. I was a freshman there in 1998 and left in 2000 to pursue a full-time job offer. Five years later, I came full circle and am back in school. Thing is, it'd be nice to be able to work this PL Sup job part-time and take a heavier class load, but it sounds like (from what I've been told on this forum) that PL Sups don't bring home as much as I'd hoped. I currently bring home about $1515.00 a month after benefits, taxes, etc. I know the PT job would only be 27.5 hours a week so what can I expect to lose? I'm salaried now.

Also, this job has been available for some time (at least 3 weeks). Why no hires from within? What does it take to start out at this level and what are the pros and cons? I have 9 years of professional work experience with over 6 of those years (including my current job) being in a supervisory/management role. Obviously, I'd have to learn a whole new set of skills, policies, and procedures, but I consider myself to be quite adept.

So what can I expect? If any of you were me, what would you do? Why? I just put in the application today, so I'm not sure what to expect or if they'll even call me, but if they do......what then? I'd love to hear your opinions.

I appreciate anything that you can offer and look forward to some good responses!

:thumbup1:

canon

Also, this job has been available for some time (at least 3 weeks). Why no hires from within? What does it take to start out at this level and what are the pros and cons? I have 9 years of professional work experience with over 6 of those years (including my current job) being in a supervisory/management role. Obviously, I'd have to learn a whole new set of skills, policies, and procedures, but I consider myself to be quite adept.

:thumbup1:

If you're breathing you're a candidate. Seriously. One of the reasons no hires from within is because people know how the pt supes are treated. Maybe that's why we see so many pt supes with little to no experience beyond half a year with the company.... nobody else will apply. If you're looking for longevity with ups on the mgmt side, I would recommend going full time then putting in the letter of intent. That's if you're currently employed by ups.

I get the impression you're not. If this is a way to get into ups and you're interested in mgmt here, then go for it. I know package handlers don't have to pay for benefits, so if you're currently paying for your own, that might be an added plus and make up for the pay difference... especially with the baby coming soon.

Channahon

You sound very interested in the job. Put in an application and have a salary discussion. Then you can make your decision.

SmithBarney

Much like the center I was located in, they couldn't get
insiders to take the job, because well, its not desirable.

Our last 5 PT sups were hired off the street, and the last 5PT sups
quit within 4-5 months. A few I spoke to out on the street, basically
said they were paid too little to be treated so poorly.

The last one I remember was loading for so long I thought he was a
preloader... until someone asked one day. He had been loading cars
for 6-7 months.

If it were a desirable position, people would line up for it.
In most cases being a PT sup is dead end.(most cases)

Note to UPS, treat your employees(union or not) like poop, and you'll
get poop. Treat them better, and your likely to get better.

BrownKnows

Thanks so much to all of you! I greatly appreciate the advice!

To answer your questions Canon, you are correct in assuming that I'm not with UPS now. My primary interest would definitely be for working myself into management, hence my interest in the opening. The way I look at it, I can always talk to them and the worst that can happen is I just decide it isn't for me. No big deal.

The salary would be a huge issue since, even though I only make 26,000.00 now, I am more or less my own boss and can work around just about ANY classes that I'm taking. This coming Fall, I'll be taking 4 (which is a full load) and had no problem getting my current "boss" to work around that schedule. I joke that I have the best "student" job on campus, but I could be correct.

Anyway, I'll still entertain this opportunity, but it may turn out that the only way I can manage it is to wait until after graduation and then look at full-time management. We'll see!

If anyone else would like to chime in, I'm all ears!

HazMatMan

Sure, go for it, another person hired off the street to be a supervisor who has not one clue about UPS or the operations!! Ups is the best!!

tieguy

Banned
Thanks so much to all of you! I greatly appreciate the advice!

To answer your questions Canon, you are correct in assuming that I'm not with UPS now. My primary interest would definitely be for working myself into management, hence my interest in the opening. The way I look at it, I can always talk to them and the worst that can happen is I just decide it isn't for me. No big deal.

The salary would be a huge issue since, even though I only make 26,000.00 now, I am more or less my own boss and can work around just about ANY classes that I'm taking. This coming Fall, I'll be taking 4 (which is a full load) and had no problem getting my current "boss" to work around that schedule. I joke that I have the best "student" job on campus, but I could be correct.

Anyway, I'll still entertain this opportunity, but it may turn out that the only way I can manage it is to wait until after graduation and then look at full-time management. We'll see!

If anyone else would like to chime in, I'm all ears!

If your plan is to be hired a full time sup off the street chances are that won't happen unless you really have some specialized degree.

You should apply and take advantage of the opportunity to sit down and ask the questions that you can only get accurately answered in your part of the world before you decide.

old levi's

blank space

Ups will not be flexible with any time conflicts between your classes and your work schedule. If there is any conflict between the two they will tell you that ups is your primary obligation or you can leave and not return. It's their warm and fuzzy style.

comboite

In my area which is near Chicago the part time sups medical benefits fall way short of the union employees. I think you should research that before you make a move.

BrownKnows

Sure, go for it, another person hired off the street to be a supervisor who has not one clue about UPS or the operations!! Ups is the best!!

And yes, this is sort of the kind of response I'd be concerned about. I understand your frustration and that of anyone who has ever had someone just walk in the door and take over a job (above you) that they know nothing about. I during that time between when I first left school and then returned 5 years later, I was working in a bank directly under their E-Banking Manager. I had expressed my interest in her position often and worked to learn everything I could about it. I had even begun taking over the classes that she had initially taught to other employees on the "ins-and-outs" of e-banking. Seemed like a logical move when she decided to move to the mortgage department that they would offer me some consideration (especially given their "hire-from-within" policy). In fact, they pulled me down for an interview and told me the didn't feel I expressed enough interest in the job....WTF?!?! They ended up giving it to an outside guy who had no banking experience and wouldn't know the difference between a computer and a toilet if asked. At that point, I began looking around and was gone in 3 weeks.

That guy lasted just a hair over 30 days.

So I know it sucks. I completely understand your sentiment and I know I'd have an uphill battle with that. That said, if no one from within seeks the job (as others said they usually don't).....what are they supposed to do? :confused:1

BrownKnows

In my area which is near Chicago the part time sups medical benefits fall way short of the union employees. I think you should research that before you make a move.

Ups will not be flexible with any time conflicts between your classes and your work schedule. If there is any conflict between the two they will tell you that ups is your primary obligation or you can leave and not return. It's their warm and fuzzy style.

If your plan is to be hired a full time sup off the street chances are that won't happen unless you really have some specialized degree.

You should apply and take advantage of the opportunity to sit down and ask the questions that you can only get accurately answered in your part of the world before you decide.

Good to know! Thank you! This is of major importance.

The medical benefits I have now are outstanding. My wife, for instance, is on my plan and for maternity care, we pay the first office visit copay of $15.00 and then NOTHING...NOT A DIME....after that, even for the hospital stay after delivery. All covered. And that's just the maternity benefit which not all companies even offer to begin with.

HazMatMan

And yes, this is sort of the kind of response I'd be concerned about. I understand your frustration and that of anyone who has ever had someone just walk in the door and take over a job (above you) that they know nothing about. I during that time between when I first left school and then returned 5 years later, I was working in a bank directly under their E-Banking Manager. I had expressed my interest in her position often and worked to learn everything I could about it. I had even begun taking over the classes that she had initially taught to other employees on the "ins-and-outs" of e-banking. Seemed like a logical move when she decided to move to the mortgage department that they would offer me some consideration (especially given their "hire-from-within" policy). In fact, they pulled me down for an interview and told me the didn't feel I expressed enough interest in the job....WTF?!?! They ended up giving it to an outside guy who had no banking experience and wouldn't know the difference between a computer and a toilet if asked. At that point, I began looking around and was gone in 3 weeks.

That guy lasted just a hair over 30 days.

So I know it sucks. I completely understand your sentiment and I know I'd have an uphill battle with that. That said, if no one from within seeks the job (as others said they usually don't).....what are they supposed to do? :confused:1

No frustration here dude, just hate it when i'm doing it right and you got a young punk lookin to move up part time sup telling you that you are doing it wrong.. Then when you tell him to show you how to do it, he tells you it's not his job, HUH!!

Secondly, I don't consider a part time sup above me, far from it..(although UPS doesn't see it my way)

Hey, do what you need to do to support you and your family..

Last edited:

BrownKnows

No frustration here dude, just hate it when i'm doing it right and you got a young punk lookin to move up part time sup telling you that you are doing it wrong.. Then when you tell him to show you how to do it, he tells you it's not his job, HUH!!

Secondly, I don't consider a part time sup above me, far from it..(although UPS doesn't see it my way)

Hey, do what you need to do to support you and your family..

I understand. I'm just figuratively speaking btw. I wouldn't pursue something I didn't feel I could learn to do and I've never asked anything of anyone working for me to do something that I couldn't do myself. I typically try to handle things working "with" my employees rather than "above" them. Nobody wants to be resented in their job and I'm no different. Thank you though!

BrownKnows

Something else I've seen while browsing other threads here...it's been mentioned that sups are paid salary? Is this true for PT sups as well and if so, are starting salaries based on previous work or salary history? Are they negotiable?

Thanks again!

Working4TheBene's

For starters... I want to clarify that I am not for or against going into management. I am currently employed at UPS... some members of this board may or may not be working at UPS.

Now, it seems like if you talk to 10 people, 8 would probably say that they would stay away from management. The fact of the matter is, not everyone is asked to participate in the management process. Basically HR as well as the full time supervisor as well as the center/business manager has to think you are what they are looking for.... now for the most part, with union positions, usually they have to fill the positions from within first before looking outside (especially for drivers). But with management positions, they too try and fill from within. Although they advertise outside of UPS, unfortunately, you may not be contacted because they try to fill from within... when p/t supes positions are available and no qualified candidates, a lot of times the other supes as well as the full time supe will cover the areas that are lacking p/t supes (and this will occur until they find someone). The way management is seen is kinda like the military... imagine being a grunt and here you have kids graduating from military school and are immediately given a rank above you.... and then have to follow that person into battle (with little to no experience...but remember, not everyone can me a marine, and not everyone ios cut out for management. There are constant struggles with time... everything is time sensitive... therefore you employees need to feel that sense of urgency, which may or may not be taken correctly. For some people, they are happy at doing whatever, and there are some that need to "be in charge". All positions are important because face it, packages don't just move themselves....

But if they call you in, then after your tour, they will schedule you to take a management profile test... and once you pass, they will put you in the mgmt pool of qualified candidates. But as I understand, the failure rate is fairly high... After you pass then you will either be assigned a designated area to supervise or wait till something is available.....

So in the end, You can certainly apply, but unless there is a HUGE shortage of p/t supes at your location, just like union positions, mgmt feels that it should promote from within. (Sometimes it makes their stories better to say that most mgmt personnel all started as a package handler.) But as with anything in life, you never know till you try.

I wish you the best of luck and hope it all works out for you...and congratulations on your new "package"! Hope this helps....

BrownKnows

For starters... I want to clarify that I am not for or against going into management. I am currently employed at UPS... some members of this board may or may not be working at UPS.

Now, it seems like if you talk to 10 people, 8 would probably say that they would stay away from management. The fact of the matter is, not everyone is asked to participate in the management process. Basically HR as well as the full time supervisor as well as the center/business manager has to think you are what they are looking for.... now for the most part, with union positions, usually they have to fill the positions from within first before looking outside (especially for drivers). But with management positions, they too try and fill from within. Although they advertise outside of UPS, unfortunately, you may not be contacted because they try to fill from within... when p/t supes positions are available and no qualified candidates, a lot of times the other supes as well as the full time supe will cover the areas that are lacking p/t supes (and this will occur until they find someone). The way management is seen is kinda like the military... imagine being a grunt and here you have kids graduating from military school and are immediately given a rank above you.... and then have to follow that person into battle (with little to no experience...but remember, not everyone can me a marine, and not everyone ios cut out for management. There are constant struggles with time... everything is time sensitive... therefore you employees need to feel that sense of urgency, which may or may not be taken correctly. For some people, they are happy at doing whatever, and there are some that need to "be in charge". All positions are important because face it, packages don't just move themselves....

But if they call you in, then after your tour, they will schedule you to take a management profile test... and once you pass, they will put you in the mgmt pool of qualified candidates. But as I understand, the failure rate is fairly high... After you pass then you will either be assigned a designated area to supervise or wait till something is available.....

So in the end, You can certainly apply, but unless there is a HUGE shortage of p/t supes at your location, just like union positions, mgmt feels that it should promote from within. (Sometimes it makes their stories better to say that most mgmt personnel all started as a package handler.) But as with anything in life, you never know till you try.

I wish you the best of luck and hope it all works out for you...and congratulations on your new "package"! Hope this helps....

Yes it does and thanks so much for overview! It really does make sense if that's how they do it and I wouldn't blame anyone for going about it that way at all. I just put in the online app yesterday, so who knows. As you say, I won't know lest I try. :wink:

Thanks for the well-wishes on my own little "package" as well! Much appreciated! :thumbup1:

canon

Yes it does and thanks so much for overview! It really does make sense if that's how they do it and I wouldn't blame anyone for going about it that way at all. I just put in the online app yesterday, so who knows. As you say, I won't know lest I try. :wink:

Thanks for the well-wishes on my own little "package" as well! Much appreciated! :thumbup1:

I have to ask... things seem pretty nice for you without going into pt supervision. Being your own boss, better benefits, and better pay. If you're working at the university you're attending, why in the world would you want to give that up? There's no drive time involved in leaving work and going to class as you have it. There's no "oh no we need you to stay, sorry about your class" situations are there? Would you really be able to increase the class load enough to have to put up with all the added hassels? I'd be doing some summer classes before trashing the situation you're in now for being a part time supe.

If you're determined to join tho, I wish you the very best of luck. You'll get a walkie talkie and a clipboard. If you are given the option of which shift you want, the pm shift is better at my building. All the self-important people are home with their families and it's a much different world than the preload. Which might be why you're able to get this... er... good luck! :)

BrownKnows

I have to ask... things seem pretty nice for you without going into pt supervision. Being your own boss, better benefits, and better pay. If you're working at the university you're attending, why in the world would you want to give that up? There's no drive time involved in leaving work and going to class as you have it. There's no "oh no we need you to stay, sorry about your class" situations are there? Would you really be able to increase the class load enough to have to put up with all the added hassels? I'd be doing some summer classes before trashing the situation you're in now for being a part time supe.

If you're determined to join tho, I wish you the very best of luck. You'll get a walkie talkie and a clipboard. If you are given the option of which shift you want, the pm shift is better at my building. All the self-important people are home with their families and it's a much different world than the preload. Which might be why you're able to get this... er... good luck! :)

Very good question Canon. Truth is, I just wanted to learn more about the opportunity. I'm not dead set on taking it if it's offered, but it all depends on the circumstances...pay, benefits, how it meshs with/interferes with my personal life and classes. You're right about the ease of getting to classes now and not having those "sorry about your class" situations.

The thing I've considered is this: I would be about 6 miles from work at my local UPS hub instead of 18; the benefits might be at least very comparable to what I have now; and if the pay was close to what I make now, it might really be worth it. The biggest downside will be if those in charge at my location aren't too concerned with classes.

Another thing to consider is this: We have an employee Tuition Assistance Program at my school which allows me to waive (yes, completely do away with) tuition on any class I take as long as I sign up for the class during a certain registration period. Sounds great, right? So here's the catch...my registration period is AFTER everyone else...including the freshmen. Imagine if you're a junior-level student and there are only certain classes that you still need, but because you get last pick of classes under the employee TAP program, you can never get those classes. Then you end up doing what I do and paying out of pocket...and with 2 classes topping more than $1500.00 a semester (NOT counting books), it's pretty tough.

Hope that helps, and again...thank you! :thumbup1:

I would still love to know if anyone is aware about the pay situation with PT sups. Are they salaried? What is the salary based on? Is it negotiable?

BrownKnows

I would still love to know if anyone is aware about the pay situation with PT sups. Are they salaried? What is the salary based on? Is it negotiable?

So if anyone can answer my question above, I'd still love to know. Again, if it helps, it's a pay grade "99".

Thanks ladies and gents! You've all offered some great information!

Channahon

So if anyone can answer my question above, I'd still love to know. Again, if it helps, it's a pay grade "99".

Thanks ladies and gents! You've all offered some great information!
PT sups are paid every two weeks, starting salary somewhere around $1200 to $1500
depending what part of the country you live in and UPS experience. You don't have any, you can negotiate, but I have a feeling UPS will stand by their offer.
Good luck