Part-time service

U

upshamilton

Does anyone share my feelings about our part-time service. I worked part-time for years, and when I went into driving I lost all my senority and started at the bottom. While few are hired off the street, there are still some, and generally speaking they're friends or relatives of management. There are several drivers who have more full-time years than myself but considerably less company time. I put in my time, and I think these individuals should be at the bottom of the senority list. Part-time years should count for something in your total senority, even if it's just half. Are there any locals that have this in effect around the country? What are the general feelings about this?

22threeman

I share your sentiment. I have been part-time for 15 years. If I go driving next week someone hired last week off the street would have seniority on me as a driver. This is not right!

D

deede99

In the new contract they do count towards years of service. hall came to our local today & explained it. It is complicated but they now count.

22threeman

Do they count when picking vacations and bidding on routes?

D

deede99

He said it counts toward your pension. If you have 10 part time years & 20 full time years that is 30 years of service. Where up until now they didn't. He didn't go into vacations. He was going to 5 diffrent union halls today & they are all at least 2 hours apart. So he only spoke for about 1 45 min. I don't think they count on the vacations, from what I have read.

22threeman

Deede-I get $50 a mo. for part time years and $100 for full time years.I thought The part time years used to count for half.