Part time supervisor test results

lurker123

You should have been asked for your email address at some point during the process. If the HR service rep did not do this, get in touch with whoever set you up with the login/pw to take the exam. I think the results are supposed to be emailed to you within a day, but I cannot say for sure because they inputted mine incorrectly so I never received it. On top of that, they incorrectly notified my FT sup and HR that my test results indicated that I was NOT eligible for promotion. After my FT sup told me that I had not passed, I called the HR service line and they ended up apologizing and saying there was a mix up with employee IDs and that I had actually passed. Nobody even noticed until I second guessed the results and called in for myself.

You need to follow through on everything and never forget that you are the only one who has your best interest as a priority.

1Simplemann

Hello all, I'm new to the forums. My full time sup recommended me to be a part time sup after him over hearing me mention to a co-worker that I want to move up in the company. He sat me down and explained to me the pros and cons, which was everything I've read on here about the position, so no need to tell me what I already know. Please leave pitty parties and negativity about my career choice opinions to yourself. He said I'm an excellent worker and any facility would be lucky to have me as their sup, and that my military background is a plus. Anyway, I took the mapp test Friday morning at home, piece of cake. Any of you guys know how long it takes for my sup to receive the email with my test results? Also, Any idea how long it takes to actually be promoted after passing the test? And how do I figure out what facility I will be transferring to? For me, this is the best decision for myself and my family. I'm more less trying to get a basic idea of time frame. I'll be tripling my salary, and for my family and i, it's the best move I could make
UPSer1983, 1st Thank you for your service. You guys put it all on the line for the rest of the country, so thanks a lot! It's truly appreciated. it's one of my biggest regrets in life that I didn't serve my country. 2nd I'm not sure how it works in other centers but I'll tell you how it works in mine. I've NEVER seen one PT sup get promoted. Not one. They quit or get fired. I did see one retire but that's it. I also did see one young guy step into the 7th off the street spot. He didn't plan it that way but it worked out perfect for him. The rest are all gone. They promise these young ambitious PT's the world then they beat them down after they take the job. Most last less than a month then they quit. Those that last longer than that hate their job and are miserable. All they truly want is a body to fill the position so a FT sup doesn't have to cover the shift. Seen it many, many times. I know you said keep opinions to ourselves but your sup got to say his pros and cons. We should tell you ours. i would think long and hard about this "career opportunity" because in my center it has been a dead end move for all that they talked into taking a PT sup position. I truly hope it's different in your center but somehow I don't think so. Your ambitions seem genuine but I thought you should know what your getting into. I wish you the best. Thanks again for your service.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
To the OP- unless you are a Minority Female there is about a 99.999999999% chance you wont rise any higher than the Part Time supervisor position you are applying for. You will see people you have "supervised" that were hired after you going Full Time and earning a good living while you languish as a PT employee.
Your supervisor is blowing smoke up your arse to sucker you into taking the absolute worst position in the company.

km3

I've only been with UPS for a year, but I've never seen a PT supervisor get fired. I've seen two quit for better opportunities, and I've seen four promoted (two of which to full-time management). Only the one who went from PT trainer to PT LP had any degree or military experience.

It's definitely possible to rise up if your bosses think you have what it takes. And you'll probably have better job security than drivers if you're halfway competent, since UPS, inexplicably, goes out of its way to try and get them fired.

Not all locations are as good as mine for those who decide to take the management route. Hopefully yours is and you're able to find what you're looking for at UPS. I just wanted to offer a positive spin on the PT supervisor thing. Good luck.

Re-Raise

UPSer1983, 1st Thank you for your service. You guys put it all on the line for the rest of the country, so thanks a lot! It's truly appreciated. it's one of my biggest regrets in life that I didn't serve my country. 2nd I'm not sure how it works in other centers but I'll tell you how it works in mine. I've NEVER seen one PT sup get promoted. Not one. They quit or get fired. I did see one retire but that's it. I also did see one young guy step into the 7th off the street spot. He didn't plan it that way but it worked out perfect for him. The rest are all gone. They promise these young ambitious PT's the world then they beat them down after they take the job. Most last less than a month then they quit. Those that last longer than that hate their job and are miserable. All they truly want is a body to fill the position so a FT sup doesn't have to cover the shift. Seen it many, many times. I know you said keep opinions to ourselves but your sup got to say his pros and cons. We should tell you ours. i would think long and hard about this "career opportunity" because in my center it has been a dead end move for all that they talked into taking a PT sup position. I truly hope it's different in your center but somehow I don't think so. Your ambitions seem genuine but I thought you should know what your getting into. I wish you the best. Thanks again for your service.
I have not seen a single part-time sup promoted in our center in the last 30 yrs either

Rack em

Made the Podium
I'm sure the young guy who took the outside hire spot planned for it to happen since management offered the PT sup job to many other preloaders telling them once JJ retired they would move into that driving position ;)

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I seen a part time sup get promoted to another part of the building after he or she pissed off a bunch of union workers.

1Simplemann

I'm sure the young guy who took the outside hire spot planned for it to happen since management offered the PT sup job to many other preloaders telling them once JJ retired they would move into that driving position ;)
Actually he didn't plan it that way. Originally i thought he was a genius because he was in for a LONG wait! He was an exceptional preloader for 6 months. Just came easy for him. PT sup quit and he was the 1st guy they asked. Talked him right into it. Couple months later, we had an FT driver opening. He stepped right into it as the outside hire. He was a decent preload sup that actually showed up every day so they kinda liked him. He didn't even know about the 6 to 1 rule. He's actually a pretty good coverage driver. Worked out perfectly for him.

wayfair

swollen member
OP if you are still around, you might consider what type of insurance you will need for your family if you do make the change/promotion(hee hee)

Last edited:

Savvy412

I'm at a big hub.. All the pt sups have been part timin for 6-7-8-9-10 years . They all told me they regret not driving every single day.

My one pt sup I'm cool with , started 5 years before me ... And I'm already a full time driver and he's still just a pt sup working reload .
And then to be ft you have to take a bunch of other tests .
But ya .. Just worries me your in a small hub. Not trying to be negative

Upser1983

I appreciate your feedback guys. I understand where you're coming from and the concerns you have for pt sups. I'll be honest, it's the 6$ an hour jump I'm getting is the biggest part. Financially strapped and I actually enjoy working at my place. Oh btw, I got my wife a evening position, so she'll get the union benefits that I'll be losing. Talked to hr and mentioned the interview she had last year and boom, he said I got a spot for her if you want. I mean I get the bad stuff that's happened to people you guys have known or witnessed, but honestly, ups has done nothing but good things for myself and my family. Feels good to be appreciated. I'll keep you guys posted as to what happens and what the whole test results come back as.

wayfair

swollen member
I appreciate your feedback guys. I understand where you're coming from and the concerns you have for pt sups. I'll be honest, it's the 6$ an hour jump I'm getting is the biggest part. Financially strapped and I actually enjoy working at my place. Oh btw, I got my wife a evening position, so she'll get the union benefits that I'll be losing. Talked to hr and mentioned the interview she had last year and boom, he said I got a spot for her if you want. I mean I get the bad stuff that's happened to people you guys have known or witnessed, but honestly, ups has done nothing but good things for myself and my family. Feels good to be appreciated. I'll keep you guys posted as to what happens and what the whole test results come back as.
Your best bet is to become a driver! not management!

1Simplemann

Good luck to you! Your building is different than mine then. In my building your wife couldn't work there. Keep us posted. I'm interested in how this turns out. BTW You should be thinking long term. It's tough but most of us were in your shoes when we started. PT and another job till a driver slot opened up.. Your a grown man so we can't make your decisions for you but financially it was the BEST decision I've EVER made! Think long and hard. Talk to some drivers in your building before you commit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good luck to you! Your building is different than mine then. In my building your wife couldn't work there. Keep us posted. I'm interested in how this turns out. BTW You should be thinking long term. It's tough but most of us were in your shoes when we started. PT and another job till a driver slot opened up.. Your a grown man so we can't make your decisions for you but financially it was the BEST decision I've EVER made! Think long and hard. Talk to some drivers in your building before you commit.

The only way that this would work is if she worked in a separate area and was not not a direct report to him.