Part-time UPS Retirement AND Full-Time Teamster Retirement

ElCamino

I am wondering if there are others out there in this situation. I retired and receive a Teamsters pension that began in 2018. Before becoming a full-time driver I was part time. I was part time for about 8 years.

I was recently informed by a former coworker that UPS should be providing me with a part-time pension for the PT work. That would be either lump sum or at the right age.

I contacted the appropriate people at UPS pension in October 2022 requesting my part time pension. I have called them repeatedly. I have been told many things. But, for the most part, I am told that they cannot confirm my part time employment. In so many words, they said they lost my employment records.

This isn't a Teamsters issue, so no use contacting them. And, they said they have nothing to do with it when I did.

QUESTION - Have any other part time people had the same issue? How can they lose my records? I worked there over 20 years. I've talked to a few people locally and they were due the part time pension as well, but never received any information on it and have been retired years. They didn't know about it either until I told them.
I think their records might have been "lost" also. I'm thinking class action here

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I am wondering if there are others out there in this situation. I retired and receive a Teamsters pension that began in 2018. Before becoming a full-time driver I was part time. I was part time for about 8 years.

I was recently informed by a former coworker that UPS should be providing me with a part-time pension for the PT work. That would be either lump sum or at the right age.

I contacted the appropriate people at UPS pension in October 2022 requesting my part time pension. I have called them repeatedly. I have been told many things. But, for the most part, I am told that they cannot confirm my part time employment. In so many words, they said they lost my employment records.

This isn't a Teamsters issue, so no use contacting them. And, they said they have nothing to do with it when I did.

QUESTION - Have any other part time people had the same issue? How can they lose my records? I worked there over 20 years. I've talked to a few people locally and they were due the part time pension as well, but never received any information on it and have been retired years. They didn't know about it either until I told them.
I think their records might have been "lost" also. I'm thinking class action here

Teamsters should be able to verify if you were paying dues
If not paying dues to bad so sad

Red Headed Stranger

You might have several options to provide proof. First, if you keep a copy of your tax returns from prior years, you might also have a copy of your W-2 in with your records. If you are lucky enough to keep paystubs from years past, you can use these as proof. Also, if you received your Social Security statements and kept them, at least that would show income in the years you worked part-time for UPS. If you worked two jobs (or more) back then, it might be hard to determine the split though without further backup. Good luck!

Shiftless

How about a lil more info?

Where did you earn the credits to retire from the Teamsters?

Were your PT credits from Teamster work in the same area?

Reason is, not all Teamster Retirement plans operate the same way.

ElCamino

How about a lil more info?

Where did you earn the credits to retire from the Teamsters?

Were your PT credits from Teamster work in the same area?

Reason is, not all Teamster Retirement plans operate the same way.
I retired from the Western Teamsters 177. My PT and FT were both in the same area, and same center. So far, there are at least 6 individuals in my same situation. We all worked more than 5 pt years before becoming ft and then retiring. None of us received any offers or communication that we were entitled to the PT pension. We have all sent letters requesting it.

So far, my only response is that the records are not verifiable, not complete, lost, or only show FT. Depends on who I talk to. One even told me they don’t show I was ever employed. The latest is that they are trying to rebuild my records.

The big issue is that At retirement, an employee due the pt should get a packet. i retired in 2018.

oldngray

nowhere special
I retired from the Western Teamsters 177. My PT and FT were both in the same area, and same center. So far, there are at least 6 individuals in my same situation. We all worked more than 5 pt years before becoming ft and then retiring. None of us received any offers or communication that we were entitled to the PT pension. We have all sent letters requesting it.

So far, my only response is that the records are not verifiable, not complete, lost, or only show FT. Depends on who I talk to. One even told me they don’t show I was ever employed. The latest is that they are trying to rebuild my records.

The big issue is that At retirement, an employee due the pt should get a packet. i retired in 2018.
If you are vested as a part timer it should be automatic for you to get a 2nd retirement check for PT in addition your FT. The big question is probably do you have enough vesting credit to qualify for that PI pension. I am in the Central and here you need 5 years of credit before you get anything. Working 5 years as PT is not the same as 5 years of vesting credit. For instance years worked before you were 21 may not count at all. Or not enough hours worked in some years.

ElCamino

If you are vested as a part timer it should be automatic for you to get a 2nd retirement check for PT in addition your FT. The big question is probably do you have enough vesting credit to qualify for that PI pension. I am in the Central and here you need 5 years of credit before you get anything. Working 5 years as PT is not the same as 5 years of vesting credit. For instance years worked before you were 21 may not count at all. Or not enough hours worked in some years.
I know I worked 8 years pt. teamsters said I worked over 600 hours in each of those years. I was over 21. Vested for sure. So are the other 6 guys.

I know I worked 8 years pt. teamsters said I worked over 600 hours in each of those years. I was over 21. Vested for sure. So are the other 6 guys.
Currently you need 750 hours for a full year. Before it was like 1250 or something. I am guessing you didn't work enough hours to qualify.

ElCamino

Currently you need 750 hours for a full year. Before it was like 1250 or something. I am guessing you didn't work enough hours to qualify.
They (UPS) don’t have my records to indicate it one way or another. I’ll check with Teamsters again, but I think hours were +/1000 each year. Teamsters is supposed to mail me a statement.

They (UPS) don’t have my records to indicate it one way or another. I’ll check with Teamsters again, but I think hours were +/1000 each year. Teamsters is supposed to mail me a statement.
The Teamsters don't have anything to do with the UPS Pension Plan. At least they weren't very helpful for me when I had questions.

Thebrownblob

That seems convenient for the company.
I thought they change the age requirement?

ElCamino

The Teamsters don't have anything to do with the UPS Pension Plan. At least they weren't very helpful for me when I had questions.
Right, they aren’t very helpful as it’s not their plan. But, I asked them for a breakdown of how my ft was calculated with the years and hours. I’m just trying to get what I can. Frustrating

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I retired from the WCT (NorCal) in 2018 as well. My 3 PT years, ages 18-21 (I became full time driver at 21), were all credited towards the FT pension. The 3 years counted towards the PEER 80 total, and the monetary contributions were credited towards my overall pension contributions. There was no separated PT and FT pensions. The PT pension here was for those that worked as a part-timer for their entire time at UPS. Whether or not this is for the entire WCT or not, I'm not sure.

ElCamino

I retired from the WCT (NorCal) in 2018 as well. My 3 PT years, ages 18-21 (I became full time driver at 21), were all credited towards the FT pension. The 3 years counted towards the PEER 80 total, and the monetary contributions were credited towards my overall pension contributions. There was no separated PT and FT pensions. The PT pension here was for those that worked as a part-timer for their entire time at UPS. Whether or not this is for the entire WCT or not, I'm not sure.
My understanding is that the pt plan doesn’t relate to any region/union. If you work 5 or more pt year, you are vested into the plan. my buddy worked pretty much the pt and ft years as me and he got it as a lump sum. We are close in age.

My understanding is that the pt plan doesn’t relate to any region/union. If you work 5 or more pt year, you are vested into the plan. my buddy worked pretty much the pt and ft years as me and he got it as a lump sum. We are close in age.
Several years ago the PT Pension Plan were giving non current members the option to either cash out (with penalties) or the option to transfer their Pension into an IRA plan. These were members with a limited amount on the books just to clean up the plan. Not sure what the Plan is doing now.