Part-time UPS Retirement AND Full-Time Teamster Retirement

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The Teamsters don't have anything to do with the UPS Pension Plan. At least they weren't very helpful for me when I had questions.

Several years ago the PT Pension Plan were giving non current members the option to either cash out (with penalties) or the option to transfer their Pension into an IRA plan. These were members with a limited amount on the books just to clean up the plan. Not sure what the Plan is doing now.

Dug up some “97” stuff related to the part time pension…

Attachments

• 705D8346-4418-4A35-8600-8DEA179A60C4.jpeg
    705D8346-4418-4A35-8600-8DEA179A60C4.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 78

DELACROIX

Here is the front page..remember that this was almost 30 years ago…during the 1993 Contract…”UPS finally put it’s first economic proposals and concepts on the table”

On August 12th…!

It is what it is…nothing new under the 🌞..

Attachments

• 0781C32F-AD5C-4825-82AB-3E5D9573BAE3.jpeg
    0781C32F-AD5C-4825-82AB-3E5D9573BAE3.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 61

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The way the NE Plan works is that all hours worked are set to a sliding scale, 0-250 hours worked = nothing.
Every hour worked up to a total of 1800 hours = one full pension credit. { the max }
All other worked hours would earn you partial years credit ; 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, or 11 months.
I worked for decades as a p/t, getting hours where ever I could.
That resulted many times for me to earn a full year's pension credit.
I also had some 11 months credit years.
So over my working years I was able to accrue 33 full years of pension credit for 39 years worked.
Which gave me a pension that paid more than working ever did.

DELACROIX

The way the NE Plan works is that all hours worked are set to a sliding scale, 0-250 hours worked = nothing.
Every hour worked up to a total of 1800 hours = one full pension credit. { the max }
All other worked hours would earn you partial years credit ; 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, or 11 months.
I worked for decades as a p/t, getting hours where ever I could.
That resulted many times for me to earn a full year's pension credit.
I also had some 11 months credit years.
So over my working years I was able to accrue 33 full years of pension credit for 39 years worked.
Which gave me a pension that paid more than working ever did.

Looks like TDU is finally taking notice of the disparity in our pensions. Actually mentioning improvements for the part timers under the Central and Southern, kind of skeptical about that. If it happens it will be long overdue.

Asking for 5000 for 30 full time and out. Any improvements would be good, but those under the Central will never reach the retirement benefits currently enjoyed in the West which currently stands at over 5000 at thirty with their members part time service included. Another 5 years from now you may be looking at 8,000.

Remember that this is probably going to be a 5 year contract, without a COLA clause that 5,000
A month pension benefit will eventually be eaten up by inflation and potential rises in annual healthcare costs.

DOK

Looks like TDU is finally taking notice of the disparity in our pensions. Actually mentioning improvements for the part timers under the Central and Southern, kind of skeptical about that. If it happens it will be long overdue.

Asking for 5000 for 30 full time and out. Any improvements would be good, but those under the Central will never reach the retirement benefits currently enjoyed in the West which currently stands at over 5000 at thirty with their members part time service included. Another 5 years from now you may be looking at 8,000.

Remember that this is probably going to be a 5 year contract, without a COLA clause that 5,000
A month pension benefit will eventually be eaten up by inflation and potential rises in annual healthcare costs.
Wish it was one consistent plan across the country instead of different plans for different locals.

I retired from the Western Teamsters 177. My PT and FT were both in the same area, and same center. So far, there are at least 6 individuals in my same situation. We all worked more than 5 pt years before becoming ft and then retiring. None of us received any offers or communication that we were entitled to the PT pension. We have all sent letters requesting it.

So far, my only response is that the records are not verifiable, not complete, lost, or only show FT. Depends on who I talk to. One even told me they don’t show I was ever employed. The latest is that they are trying to rebuild my records.

The big issue is that At retirement, an employee due the pt should get a packet. i retired in 2018.
What state did you work in? 177 is not in the west. We share a health plan with 177, but our pension is different. If you worked and retired out west, it's all in one plan, there is no PT plan here. Full stop. Don't care what anyone told you or what so-and-so says, that's it.

There is a Pacific Coast trust fund that PTers get money put into, but no separate pension for PT and FT.

542thruNthru

@542thruNthru please explain to this teamster brother why his pension is so inferior to yours. Doesent seem right to me either
Because we elect and appoint smart union officials to over see these things instead of just whining on the internet about how the last guy screwed us but this next guy is promising the world so obviously he's the right choice! :)
giphy-4.gif

542thruNthru

Yeah, it’s curious the way it was set up. I wasn’t around then, so I’m not certain the reasoning.
It's because the east coast /mid west thought that the guy that knows math and is in charge of the money was the second best compared to the political talking piece.

Luckily the western locals were smart enough to change that horrible practice. ;)

Thebrownblob

It's because the east coast /mid west thought that the guy that knows math and is in charge of the money was the second best compared to the political talking piece.

Luckily the western locals were smart enough to change that horrible practice. ;)
Yes, but you still have to leave California after you retire because it’s not enough to actually live on unless you want to eat Alpo dog food and live in Compton or Fountain Valley CA, respectively, known as the armpit and the nut sack of the state. 🤷‍♂️😉

oldngray

nowhere special
Yes, but you still have to leave California after you retire because it’s not enough to actually live on unless you want to eat Alpo dog food and live in Compton or Fountain Valley CA, respectively, known as the armpit and the nut sack of the state. 🤷‍♂️😉
Cal still forces you to pay the vig if you want to leave

542thruNthru

Not really. It's called financial planning. My investments, 401k and pension are more than enough to stay here. The reason I want to move when I retire is to help piss off everyone outside of CA and buy a house for double what it should go for and vote in all my liberal laws.

evil-laugh-laugh.gif