Part-timer going full-time for the pension

FlipOldman

In union organizing we called guys like him "bossheads." They're not technically bosses, but they are in their heads. Might as well be management since they're acting on the bosses' behest anyway.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thank you. Finally a serious answer. What's the link?
sorry but it depends on your conference. go to your pension website and search
for calculator or call them.

anyways I did this every year for the last 5 years I was working to get an idea of pension benny
our Western Conference also sent me a paper copy.

you can also have an interview with a pension rep. They did this every month at our union hall.
you have to request an appointment.

Commercial Inside Release

Stick with air driving for 3-more years... Get that part-time pension maxed out, then go full-time for 10 years at least, and/or as many as you can handle. The two pensions are separate.

Staying where you are might be the best of both worlds, while investing in rental property with all that top-rate ground pay. If you must go full-time, then try to get red circled at your current rate when you become a 22.4 (RPCD if you're lucky.) Just remember, you are going to be the lowest seniority full-time, and might get no hours. You should at least wait until the next contract is ironed out.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
RPCD. We're trying to do away with 22.4's.
How the hell would you know what WE are trying to do about anything...

You been working for two decades and don't know about your own finances.

THE 224 Mafia is here to stay.

And

As my union brother so eloquently put it...

You will never be a RPCD.

FlipOldman

How the hell would you know what WE are trying to do about anything...

You been working for two decades and don't know about your own finances.

THE 224 Mafia is here to stay.

And

As my union brother so eloquently put it...

You will never be a RPCD.
You don't know what you're talking about. I mean WE the Teamsters, not you management bootlickers. GTFOH.

FlipOldman

BTW, since you seem so sure about something you know nothing about, how about you put your money where your mouth is. How much do you wanna bet that I won't be an RPCD?

What'dyabringmetoday???

Right off the bat? I've been here 22 years! Seriously though, I don't have to worry about being a 22.4 here. I wouldn't even take that position if they offered it, so it's a moot point. I'm making sweet OT now, but trying to plan for the future. Got to start thinking about retirement.
22 years and starting to think about retirement- excellent.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You don't know what you're talking about. I mean WE the Teamsters, not you management bootlickers. GTFOH.
BTW, since you seem so sure about something you know nothing about, how about you put your money where your mouth is. How much do you wanna bet that I won't be an RPCD?
I didn't even know you replied.

Figures tho...

You aren't even direct enough in real life to manage your money...

You can't even quote who you are talking to.

shove-push.gif

Mr. Marshall

Every plan is different but here the penalties you will take for not hitting 25 or 30 years full time or being of normal retirement age will likely wipe out any increase for the 8 years. Unless you are taking another job or have a wealthy spouse or have maxed out your 401k I don't think it's actually possible to retire at 50 on a part-time pension and not be seriously poor. I think it's just under $2k a month for 30 and out any age which doesn't increase with inflation. Social Security is based on your top 35 years so if you don't work 35 years that takes a hit as well and you can't collect until 62 at the earliest. I don't actually know if part-time pensions receive health care but here you wouldn't until you were 55 even if you were full-time. It's tough to make part-time pension retirement work. I've had these conversations with a long time part-timer who regrets not making the switch years before.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Another issue is that most of the senior part timers who have the time in already have years when they worked close to full time hours. Really applies to those part timers under the Central and Southern who will not get any additional credit for those years.