part timer harrased about what i do after work

HazMatMan

this thread is actually a positive . The guy has worked for ups for 10 years and his biggest problem is his boss asked too many questions and made him feel uncomfortable when he was getting ready to skate out before completing his air committments.

Maybe he's got bigger problems than that, just doesn't want to share them with us, thinking it's none of our business..

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The thing that catches my eye was " who I know and really dont care for"
I have had mgmt people who take an interest which can be totally nothing to do with work, like talking with people about their lives outside of UPS. Like their hobbies and families, etc. Same as any other person who might ask "what are you doing tonight, in conversation.
On the other hand I wasnt there. I guess it could have been a threatening question.

HazMatMan

The thing that catches my eye was " who I know and really dont care for"
I have had mgmt people who take an interest which can be totally nothing to do with work, like talking with people about their lives outside of UPS. Like their hobbies and families, etc. Same as any other person who might ask "what are you doing tonight, in conversation.
On the other hand I wasnt there. I guess it could have been a threatening question.

Probably wasn't threatening. Just was probably prying to see if this kid had another job to go to or just didn't feel like staying. The Center Manager has a job to do and to get it done on time. (No, I am not taking managements side on this) Maybe the Center Manager thought by being a pain in the :censored2: with his 20 questions, the kid would finally say "ok, i'll do the work."

tieguy

Banned
DOT Hours of service rules apply to anytime time spent working. The manager has an obligation to know. You have an obligation to report any other employment and not be on road if you have not had 10 hours off.

On duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On duty time shall include:

8) Performing any other work in the capacity, employ, or service of a motor carrier; and
9) Performing any compensated work for a person who is not a motor carrier.

Excellent point. I was wrong the manager does have a need to know.

trickpony1

DOT Hours of service rules apply to anytime time spent working. The manager has an obligation to know. You have an obligation to report any other employment and not be on road if you have not had 10 hours off.

On duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On duty time shall include:

8) Performing any other work in the capacity, employ, or service of a motor carrier; and

Good point.......and this gets back to an earlier contention of mine that the company should construct a trailer park or tent city just outside the fence for us to live in so as to better monitor our activities.
Those who stray too far from the ghetto shall be equipped with an ankle GPS bracelet to assure conformity :lol: :lol: :lol:

gator

this early am position is not part of a combo job so when i finish with my route i go home. at this time i'm fortunate enough that i don't need to have another job because my wife has a very good job. i do my thing at ups and then take care of whatever needs to be done at home and for my family. i have run air before for this center manager as well i worked as a pm air driver for his center for 7 years prior to becoming an early am driver. when running air for them they would give you between 15 and 20 stops in 5 or 6 different zip codes with about 25 minutes to make commit time. when you don't make commit times they of course get on your case. i know i could say i'll take out 5 but you know they won't be happy with that. i really just don't want to deal with the aggravation that running air for them brings. i really keep a low profile at work and have not had many run ins with anybody at ups. i'll continue to keep a low profile at work and hope this blows over.

tieguy

Banned
this early am position is not part of a combo job so when i finish with my route i go home. at this time i'm fortunate enough that i don't need to have another job because my wife has a very good job. i do my thing at ups and then take care of whatever needs to be done at home and for my family. i have run air before for this center manager as well i worked as a pm air driver for his center for 7 years prior to becoming an early am driver. when running air for them they would give you between 15 and 20 stops in 5 or 6 different zip codes with about 25 minutes to make commit time. when you don't make commit times they of course get on your case. i know i could say i'll take out 5 but you know they won't be happy with that. i really just don't want to deal with the aggravation that running air for them brings. i really keep a low profile at work and have not had many run ins with anybody at ups. i'll continue to keep a low profile at work and hope this blows over.

What are you hoping will "blow over"? Are you afraid the center manager will try to adopt you next? The guy asked you some questions. Might have been for DOT might have been because he was being nosy. Thats it. Theres nothing to "blow over"

Channahon

Honestly... I think management is brainwashed to badger and harass people doesn't matter what the situation and it's just their nature... but at least he did offer.
UPS management attends many meetings, seminars and workshops. Personally, I don't recall brainwashing to badger and harass people being on any agenda. And I've attended district, region and corporate meetings.

If the statement was made all hourly employees do their best to disrespect UPS management, regardless of their skills and mangement style, would that be a fair statement to make?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
If the statement was made all hourly employees do their best to disrespect UPS management, regardless of their skills and mangement style, would that be a fair statement to make?

NO!! I respect my management, regardless of their "skills and abilities" or lack thereof. When they come to me, whining and begging for "help," who do you think is gonna get the help? The member of management that's screamed at me, called me lazy/ineffective and made other comments or used my head as a playground OR the member of management that's thanked me for my hardwork, treated me with the same respect I treat them, not mistreated me in anyway, etc, etc? Hmmmmm...I'd go with the latter member of management!!! Sadly, the latter member of management is a dying breed. I'll go to the moon for a person that treats me with respect, dignity and talks to me as an equal, not an animal. I've known both at UPS. The ones that treated me with respect received it back in spades when they needed the help most. I had a pt'er treat me badly once in front of his full-timer. A week later, I was leaving at the end of my sort and had to walk past that belt to leave. Full-timer yells, "Help me out, man! My belt's dying!" I smiled and just asked, "Remember what happened on X day?" He looked at me a puzzled for a second, his eyes widened, I smiled and left. Two days later, the pt'er came into the cafe, walked right up to me and apologized. -Rocky

705red

Browncafe Steward
hey all. i'm a pt eam driver. now i give full time drivers all the respect in the world, i know it is a very tough job. fortunetly for me i can be a part time worker. i have been with ups for 10 years so my hourly pay is pretty darn good and i 'am grateful for that and the benefits of course! i do my job and then go home. today a center manager who i know and don't really care for(i know, no surprise right!) asked me if i was going to run air? i said no that i had to go and then he starts bothering me about where i'm going and do i have another job and what time do i go to work and for what company? my question is, is it really any of his business what i do once my shift is over? thanks.
Gotta ask because there cracking down here. Alot of of air drivers also work for dhl and other competitors ptime and some full time. I know who cares? The D.O.T. because you still cant drive over 60 hours in a week and need 10 hours off between shifts. Do you drive for a living outside of ups?

trickpony, i like the way you think. that jerk that must be a super that talked about why is there anything to hide? what an *******, definetely management. ITS NONE OF HIS DAMN BUSINESS.

trickpony, i like the way you think. that jerk that must be a super that talked about why is there anything to hide? what an *******, definetely management. ITS NONE OF HIS DAMN BUSINESS. but they never just take a simple no for an answer, they have to harass you and haggle, when it's something for them. can you tell i have a little resentment towards our company. sorry, just part timer bull****. anyway, wanted to say way to go and thanks for your posts. they are good.:thumbup1:

raceanoncr

You are right, only this section is applied in the FMCSA rulebook, which also states that these rules are applying to drivers of a CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicle). Are vans or package cars considered CMV's, hence subject to DOT regs and the driver also subject to DOT regs, such as a CDL?

The FMCSA rulebook states that a CMV is considered a vehicle with a GVW of 26,0001 pounds and over.

Most air cars are simply that, a CAR! Some are vans, some are outright trucks! But, IN MOST CASES, (alright, you in different areas that may have strickter state laws respond and call me a dummy) package drivers are not required to have a CDL.

Now, if you're a part-timer at UPS, even a job driving an air car, and possess a CDL and go to work full-time during the day or night driving for a different company, THEN the rules apply!

If this is what the MGR was inquiring about, he STILL didn't have a valid case. His concern should be ONLY about your bid, your employ at UPS and ONLY if you completed your assigned job and were NOT required to go back out when asked! He is NOT required to keep track of your DOT operations for another company!

When asked such questions in the future, respectfully decline to answer any such that you feel are not pertinent to the operation. Remember tho, DO NOT refuse to work if you are still in your bid operation, your bid time, your bid job or if your bid also says that you must work mandatory overtime. You feel you have a problem, do the work, file later. Do NOT risk getting fired over semantics.

raceanoncr

Excellent point. I was wrong the manager does have a need to know.

I disagree. If you have committed to working here, no matter what the position, then you have committed to working here. A manager or supe does not care if you have an outside interest and I'm not saying that sarcastically. Their concern is only about this operation and nothing else and rightly so.

It is OUR job to keep track of our hours and report them to any employer we have. If we find one job is interfering with another, then maybe an adjustment should be made but we shouldn't EXPECT one or the other job to make the adjustment for us just because we opted to take two jobs (I know, some of us HAVE to take two jobs and there is nothing wrong with this so don't jump on me). But it is OUR responsiblity to separate the two and not conflict under normal circumstances.

bridgette

sick and tired
You should of told hil you had to be in your next job as soon as you leave this one and then gave him his address as the reporting other job address and his wife's name as your boss. HAHAHAHAHAH

Lowhigh

Over Dispatched
Just another example of management making a bonehead decision. The center manager most likely tried to coerce/bully gator into working past his obligated time by harrassing, intimitating or tricking him. gator admits he tends to be a low profile type so I am sure that the center manager tried to bully him because he doesn't really know gator and unfortunately really doesn't care to know him. That is not in the plan. All these posts about DOT hours are ridiculous. This center manager was blatantly attempting to bully this eam driver into working his plan. His plan which blew up in his face because he doesnt know his people. He tried everything he could to get his plan to work, he embarrassed himself. He doesnt care, it will happen again. The anger he feels from this embarrassment will fuel him for many weeks. Gator keeps a low profile and thats the way some guys are. The center manager should have already known that gator was not interested in working past his part time shift. A basic tenant of managing anything is to know your resources. This center manager doesnt follow that line of thinking. Few center manager care about getting to know their people. How can you effectively disipline people you might actually have some care, admiration or concern for. Gator, good job on sticking to your principles. Refuse to be bullied. I bet your center manager walks with a limp.:)