Pennsylvania Judge Gets 30 Years for Selling Kids to Prisons

wkmac

Mark Ciavarella Jr, a 61-year old former judge in Pennsylvania, has been sentenced to nearly 30 years in prison for literally selling young juveniles for cash. He was convicted of accepting money in exchange for incarcerating thousands of adults and children into a prison facility owned by a developer who was paying him under the table. The kickbacks amounted to more than $1 million.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has overturned some 4,000 convictions issued by him between 2003 and 2008, claiming he violated the constitutional rights of the juveniles – including the right to legal counsel and the right to intelligently enter a plea. Some of the juveniles he sentenced were as young as 10-years old.

Economics of the Prison Industrial Complex

Nimnim

The Nim
I respect the title of Judge, but that does not mean I respect the person holding the title. I'm only slightly surprised at the actions this judge took. There's a former judge here in Florida who had people arrested for because they didn't appear in his courtroom because they were directed to the wrong one during remodeling. Court removes Judge Sloop