Pension change rumor

UPSmechanicinblue

Is there anything in the works where the UPS pension is going to deduct what we draw from social security? This would be like the UAW pension. This came in on the feeder network and drivers in my area are in an up roar about it. Thanks

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Is there anything in the works where the UPS pension is going to deduct what we draw from social security? This would be like the UAW pension. This came in on the feeder network and drivers in my area are in an up roar about it. Thanks
The pension plans are still negotiated in the contracts. If UPS wants to offset our pension by what we receive in Social Security, the union would have to agree to it.

This would be a strike issue.

rod

Retired 22 years
The pension plans are still negotiated in the contracts. If UPS wants to offset our pension by what we receive in Social Security, the union would have to agree to it.

This would be a strike issue.

That would be a major issue to strike over---unfortunately the majority would vote yes on the first offer because that is the thing to do now days.

That would be a major issue to strike over---unfortunately the majority would vote yes on the first offer because that is the thing to do now days.
And offer the PTers and young FTers a Dollar raise and it will be a done deal. Nobody under 40 believes the money for a pension or Social Security will be there.

rod

Retired 22 years
And offer the PTers and young FTers a Dollar raise and it will be a done deal. Nobody under 40 believes the money for a pension or Social Security will be there.

Not that it means anything but when I was in my 40's I also believed that SS wouldn't be there for me either. Also according to what I was taught in school the world should have been out of oil years ago and possibly blown up by an all out nuclear war by now.

Not that it means anything but when I was in my 40's I also believed that SS wouldn't be there for me either. Also according to what I was taught in school the world should have been out of oil years ago and possibly blown up by an all out nuclear war by now.
We may be about the same age. I believed all that stuff also. I was never as negative as the young people are now. I have a 20 year old package handler son with 6 months seniority.

The Milkman

Yes..they would vote YES....If that ever came up for a vote.........they would be hanging themselves moreso than they did this last contract

Yes..they would vote YES....If that ever came up for a vote.........they would be hanging themselves moreso than they did this last contract
It all started in 1982(?) when we voted for the two tier wage for PT. $8/hr was good money. 30 years later it was minimum wage and no benefits. Just another Walmart job.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
A yes vote would cost them $2000 per month when they retired. Or when they started collecting Social Security.

This issue might change the yes to a no, if the issue ever even comes up in future contracts.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You mean like Healthcare/Teamcare was?
The union agreed to Teamcare. The union wanted Teamcare.

There weren't enough of us not already in Teamcare to stop it. People already in Teamcare did not see it as a concession. They already had Teamcare. They just wanted their raises. They voted me into it.

The pension reduced by Social Security, if it is even a thought, will affect everyone, not just some like Teamcare did.

Who will vote for a $2000 per month reduction in pension?

Maybe some who think SS won't even be there when they retire and would rather have a bigger raise now if that's what UPS will offer to try and get it passed.

But there will not be enough of those people to pass it.

This is only speculation anyway. I'm sure UPS would love to have it but right now it is just a rumor on an Internet message board.

Indecisi0n

Weren't they still saying the world was flat when you first started?

oldngray

nowhere special
Weren't they still saying the world was flat when you first started?

They made a movie about that time.
When_dinosaurs_ruled_the_earth.jpg