Pension letter

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Step one is to find out what is going on with our pension.
Sorry about your pension.

But I have always said, eventually they will all fail.

Because they are ponzi schemes.

Worst decision our union leader ever made.

And nothing can save them except maybe 10% plus gain on investments every year forever.

And what are the chances of that?

35years

Gravy route
Step one is to find out what is going on with our pension.
If there is a lesson to be learned from the Central States buyout it is that you should wait until UPS buys out it's employees.

That being said the new UPS/Teamster pension is listed as 103% funded even though by the accounting standards used up until 2014 it would be considered only 78% funded (Plan assets $4,994,575,825. Plan’s liabilities $6,036,761,451). The feds allowed the accounting change so company pensions would have more time to recover and not be considered in the red zone. UPS took the opportunity to save itself from contributing $444 million to fulfill the minimum contribution. Not good for the pension, but it made stockholders happy...
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-ibt-pension-funding.368365/#post-2053113

Boulevard859710

If there is a lesson to be learned from the Central States buyout it is that you should wait until UPS buys out it's employees.

That being said the new UPS/Teamster pension is listed as 103% funded even though by the accounting standards used up until 2014 it would be considered only 78% funded (Plan assets $4,994,575,825. Plan’s liabilities $6,036,761,451). The feds allowed the accounting change so company pensions would have more time to recover and not be considered in the red zone. UPS took the opportunity to save itself from contributing $444 million to fulfill the minimum contribution. Not good for the pension, but it made stockholders happy...
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-ibt-pension-funding.368365/#post-2053113
They probably needed that 444 million to help purchase ORION. Lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Turns out the FNN was wrong on this one. UPS has no interest in buying us out of our pension; however, they do have approx. $2B in an unfunded liability which the Union is trying to get them to pay. If the company were to pay the $2B our pension would be more than adequately funded and no reductions or other changes would need to be made.

35years

Gravy route
Turns out the FNN was wrong on this one. UPS has no interest in buying us out of our pension; however, they do have approx. $2B in an unfunded liability which the Union is trying to get them to pay. If the company were to pay the $2B our pension would be more than adequately funded and no reductions or other changes would need to be made.
Why would UPS pay 2 Billion? They run the UPS/Teamster (old Central States) fund which now has over a billion in unfunded liability... by UPS's choice.

All total, UPS pension funds have over 8 Billion in unfunded liability.

With each of the funds UPS will just throw up their hands and say time to cut benefits and raise the age/years of service requirements.

Upstate, from your past postings it sounds as if your pension has very liberal years of service requirements and large monthly benefits. I doubt UPS will just kick in 2 Billion so you guys can keep your Cadillac plan when others get far less. UPS had a vested interest in jumping out of Central States...Too many retired truckers from now defunct firms eating UPS contributions. Unless your fund has the same M.O.; cuts are more likely than buyouts.

I thought I remember seeing that the guys around Washington D.C. get over $6,000 per month. I doubt that pension plan is sustainable.
I believe the West had a Cadillac plan as well, how is that one doing? Anyone know?

rod

Retired 22 years
I thought I remember seeing that the guys around Washington D.C. get over $6,000 per month. I doubt that pension plan is sustainable.
I believe the West had a Cadillac plan as well, how is that one doing? Anyone know?

All I can vouch for is Central States

interesting collection

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Why would UPS pay 2 Billion? They run the UPS/Teamster (old Central States) fund which now has over a billion in unfunded liability... by UPS's choice.

With each of the funds UPS will just throw up their hands and say time to cut benefits and raise the age/years of service requirements.

Upstate, from your past postings it sounds as if your pension has very liberal years of service requirements and large monthly benefits. I doubt UPS will just kick in 2 Billion so you guys can keep your Cadillac plan when others get far less. UPS had a vested interest in jumping out of Central States...Too many retired truckers from now defunct firms eating UPS contributions. Unless your fund has the same M.O.; cuts are more likely than buyouts.

Great post

Ms.PacMan

UPS lost a lawsuit brought by the NY teamster fund for underpaying pension liabilities for benefit hours I think (vacations, military leave, sick leave etc.). That was in 2003, ups appealed and lost again in 2004.

If this is the money and they still haven't paid it, it must be grinding it's way thru more appeals.

35years

Gravy route
UPS lost a lawsuit brought by the NY teamster fund for underpaying pension liabilities for benefit hours I think (vacations, military leave, sick leave etc.). That was in 2003, ups appealed and lost again in 2004.

If this is the money and they still haven't paid it, it must be grinding it's way thru more appeals.

UPS has just under 8 Billion in unfunded pension liabilities across all of its defined benefit plans.

"As of Dec. 31, U.S. defined benefit plan assets totaled $28.89 billion, while projected benefit obligations totaled $36.85 billion, for a funding ratio of 78.4%, according to the 10-K."

http://www.pionline.com/article/201...ion-in-us-pension-plan-contributions-for-2016

Since UPS contributes approximately $1.16 Billion yearly, TOTAL to all of its plans, the $8 Billion deficit is concerning to say the least. Additionally the funding gap has been increasing and accelerating!

http://www.browncafe.com/community/...s-pension-plan-contributions-for-2016.368596/

TicToc

How are the the pensions for newer management by the way?
If you are young the newer PAF Management retirement plan would work, because you fund your own thru your 401K, but if you are say 50 years old and they "rewrite" you into the PAF plan you don't have enough years left to fund it, UNLESS you plan on working until your 70.

twoweeled

As soon as our (Central States) pension cut is finalized (July 1st) everyone will be jumping on the "cut pensions" bandwagon. Having a Teamster based pension or a Company based one won't matter----everyone will want relief.
I also receive that letter. I think your correct. Others are just waiting to see what problems arise when the cuts are finalized. Everyone will be better prepared before they attempt to cut pensions. Nobody said much about the Central States getting screwed, but when others start getting their turn, they will want something done! It'll be too late then. That is the problem with not staying together. Nobody said anything when the retirees medical got screwed. Active employees turn is coming up! Active employees will start paying, mark my words. It'll start small, then in comes the big one!! Divide and conquer.
Everyone is just worried about their own. But everyone is getting it.

Last edited: