People off the Street

In my area we have FT's that are not assigned to routes so they swing or drive different routes everyday...I am considered a PT cover driver or TCD...I am waiting for my turn or seniority to allow me to become a FT cover driver...I am mad that people are getting hired from the street and taking full time spots that could go to other PT cover drivers in my center!!!

YEs I sign all the bid sheets when they are posted....I really never have to file for anybody with less time worker when Im not bc I work everyday...I take a lunchbreak!!

UPSGUY72

In my area we have FT's that are not assigned to routes so they swing or drive different routes everyday...I am considered a PT cover driver or TCD...I am waiting for my turn or seniority to allow me to become a FT cover driver...I am mad that people are getting hired from the street and taking full time spots that could go to other PT cover drivers in my center!!!

IF they aren't going by the contract file a grievance... If they are following the contract your SOL seniority rules along with 6 to 1 ratio.

By the way they have only hire 1 FT driver in my area in the the last 4 years and along with 3 22.3 combo positions.... all coming from the inside the FT driver is a POS always in the office in the morning. They did hire a ORS from the outside he was a casual for a couple of years and final gave up and took a management position but that didn't stop the repo guy from taking his car one morning.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In the old days it was 3-1,and it sucked seeing these off the street geeks getting a job. this was back in teh early 80's when they couldnt hire enough people

jaker

trolling
I might be confused , but here on the west coast we don't have FT cover drivers

All are cover drivers are PT workers that drive during the week if needed ( and right now they drive everyday ) because ups doesn't want to hire drivers until the new contract

S

serenity now

Yeah, it is so crucially important to know how to put boxes on to a truck in order to deliver them...:sad-little:

your (argument?) completely warps the intent of the OP * he has simply voiced his displeasure with one part of the contract * if you were 16 or more years away from retirement (because of part- time years worked), instead of 6 years, you would also have strong feelings on this issue

Big Babooba

He's the Brown Monster!

And BTW there is no one at UPS that is valuable including Scottie Boy.
Some people at UPS DO have value. Some are door stops. Some are paper weights. Some keep the office chairs from floating off into outer space. (Have you priced office chairs lately?). We recently had a feeder driver knock down a bollard (those yellow poles) by the gas pumps. They dressed our division manager in a yellow rain coat and made him stand by the pumps for a whole week before they replaced it!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I was a casual off the street hire. In late 80s. Started off 2to1. I would be next. Contract came up. Was put to 3to1. Part timer got job. Same thing for next contract. Finally at 4to1-10 yrs.. seniority. To the worse route in the building. I knew every route in the building. I also would not jump to help them. The union shoving it to the less than 1% is a crime. All should be from the part time ranks. Based on hire date.
Now with 25 yrs just got 4th wk vacation.

Sorry I still need to vent about it.

Your not born with a bad attitude. You aquire one. With lifes lessons. Especially with UPS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

your (argument?) completely warps the intent of the OP * he has simply voiced his displeasure with one part of the contract * if you were 16 or more years away from retirement (because of part- time years worked), instead of 6 years, you would also have strong feelings on this issue

The OP does have a valid point but I have to think that there was a reason for the 3:1 language in the contract.

My beef is with those who think that there is no way that some geek hired off the street could possibly get behind the wheel and carry a box from Point A to Point B without having first worked in the hub.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would you post something like that? Who are you to put any value on what another person does?

If you drive for 6 years and are not hired full time it's time to think alternate career.

This is an unfair statement as there may be things beyond their control keeping them from going full time.

Or they could be a slug who should be happy they still have their job.