Pepper Spray

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Can an Express driver carry it for self defense?

Dear Mr. Lamarr/Korman

At FedEx, your safety is Priority 1, so we can't allow you to carry anything defensive that might cause us liability. For example, it's much better to have your leg bitten off by a ravenous pit bull than to have the pet owner possibly sue us. Or, if someone threatens you physically, just talk them down "CHIPS" style and invite them to jam with you at the local roller disco.

We are here for you, except when we aren't, which is always.

Sincerely,

Hugh G. Rection
FedEx HR

!Retired!

Dear Mr. Lamarr/Korman

At FedEx, your safety is Priority 1, so we can't allow you to carry anything defensive that might cause us liability. For example, it's much better to have your leg bitten off by a ravenous pit bull than to have the pet owner possibly sue us. Or, if someone threatens you physically, just talk them down "CHIPS" style and invite them to jam with you at the local roller disco.

We are here for you, except when we aren't, which is always.

Sincerely,

Hugh G. Rection
FedEx HR
Not getting out of your truck helps too.

McFeely

Huge Member
Not getting out of your truck helps too.

One dog bite I had was from a pit that wasn't even outside when I delivered. I rang the bell and was walking back to my truck when the customer opened the door and 2 of these dogs ran out the door.

Thankfully only one small bite that day before I smacked it with the PPAD...otherwise coulda been really ugly. I'm not even sure I would have had time to use pepperspray if I had some.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
One dog bite I had was from a pit that wasn't even outside when I delivered. I rang the bell and was walking back to my truck when the customer opened the door and 2 of these dogs ran out the door.

Thankfully only one small bite that day before I smacked it with the PPAD...otherwise coulda been really ugly. I'm not even sure I would have had time to use pepperspray if I had some.
Did you miss any time from work because of it? If so, I hope you sued.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a newer driver who was recently attacked by 3 dogs on his way back to the package car. One bit him on his butt and apparently broke the skin. (I didn't ask for proof) His wife urged him to sue the homeowner. I urged him to sue the homeowner. He said that he didn't want to as he didn't want to see any of the dogs put down, which is a valid point, although it doesn't happen every time.

$3K plus medical is the minimum for a dog bite that breaks the skin.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We had a newer driver who was recently attacked by 3 dogs on his way back to the package car. One bit him on his butt and apparently broke the skin. (I didn't ask for proof) His wife urged him to sue the homeowner. I urged him to sue the homeowner. He said that he didn't want to as he didn't want to see any of the dogs put down, which is a valid point, although it doesn't happen every time.

I hate to see a dog put down too, but what if it had been a child instead of a man? The child would be dead. No excuse for a homeowner to let their dogs be loose like that.

McFeely

Huge Member

I did not. The bite wasn't that bad, but I did report it to my dispatcher and they notified the county's Animal Control. It didn't technically break skin because I had my work gloves on, but it hurt far worse than any other dog bite/nip I've ever had in my life. Pits have awfully strong jaws!

Not sure if they got a ticket or a fine from the county, but I can tell you I won't deliver to that house again. My manager even said to DEX them next time with a note about the previous dog bite.

After a couple of dog incidents I've had over the years, I'm a lot less bashful about reporting them. And if I truly get injured, you bet your ass that homeowner will be getting sued.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

They don't always put dogs down. The dog that bit me wasn't. The County verified it was current with its shots and made the owner quarantine it.

Oops. Just realized you already said that. Oh well. Lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They don't always put dogs down. The dog that bit me wasn't. The County verified it was current with its shots and made the owner quarantine it.

Oops. Just realized you already said that. Oh well. Lol.

This dog was also up to date on its shots and most likely would not have been put down.

The Union would have paid for his lawyer.

The only downside would have been the chilly reception he would have received from the homeowner on future deliveries.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I did not. The bite wasn't that bad, but I did report it to my dispatcher and they notified the county's Animal Control. It didn't technically break skin because I had my work gloves on, but it hurt far worse than any other dog bite/nip I've ever had in my life. Pits have awfully strong jaws!

Not sure if they got a ticket or a fine from the county, but I can tell you I won't deliver to that house again. My manager even said to DEX them next time with a note about the previous dog bite.

After a couple of dog incidents I've had over the years, I'm a lot less bashful about reporting them. And if I truly get injured, you bet your ass that homeowner will be getting sued.
I missed two weeks when I was bitten. Although, I truly believe I was only out that long because I went to the FedEx quack doctor and he screwed up my treatment.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This dog was also up to date on its shots and most likely would not have been put down.

The Union would have paid for his lawyer.

The only downside would have been the chilly reception he would have received from the homeowner on future deliveries.
I could not care less about a chilly reception from a homeowner. Control your dogs. Just that simple. As delivery people, we shouldn't have to be apprehensive every time we go up to a house that has dogs. Part of being a responsible dog owner is being able to control them.