Permanent on call

clean hairy

You’re nothing but a breathing body. Don’t trust one thing they tell you. They lie to all the temp workers. I’m not saying you won’t be hired permanently. It happens. But right now don’t believe a word they tell you. Yes sleepers is a six figure job. If you were hired permanent it would take 4 years to get to full rate.
By then, we will have a new contract, may be a new set of rules for those in
progression.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Hello everyone, I have a job at ups here in buffalo and I was just curious to learn more insight. They said the position can lead to full time. And I start at $30 an hour but then go down too $21 once January hit cause I guess that's what the starting scale is. Also the position has benefits that start 6 months in. I'm just trying to see how hours are going too be I know I'll get at least 40 everyweek due to it being busy still. The manager told me that it does get slow in January but they try too work you enough so you keep you insurance. Is this position good for my foot in the door.

Also manager said they will be adding more sleeper teams soon and he said alot of the older guys don't want it. He also said that's easily a six figure job. Is he telling the truth? Also what's the schedule and pay scale on that like?

Sorry for so much I'm extremely excited and grateful for the opportunity for me and my family. I'm 27. Im hoping this can be my reti job.
Are you working at UPS as a tractor-trailer driver currently or package delivery driver?

MisplacedRailWorker

I start on Monday as a feeder driver.
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 12.28.13 PM.png
You applied for this?

If so here's your answer:

UPS is hiring individuals to work as full-time, temporary, seasonal Tractor-Trailer Drivers. This position involves driving a tractor-trailer unit to one or more destinations and then returning to the original domicile during the same work shift. Some work is performed outdoors.

Seasonal Tractor-Trailer Drivers typically work weekdays (Monday through Friday) and are required to meet driver appearance standards. UPS Tractor-Trailer Drivers usually begin work in the evening and finish the following morning.

MisplacedRailWorker

The talk of sleepers, benefits, etc. are all dependent upon you applying for, attending an interview for, and getting hired for a permanent position whether it be package handler, Package Car Driver, or Dedicated-customer CDL driver. I'm not too sure about how feeders works because I was not in feeders; whether or not they will post off the street full-time permanent openings for tractor-trailer drivers after peak season is what you will be depending on.

The only thing you're guaranteed is a seasonal job. Whatever was discussed was a carrot dangled over your head, should you reapply after peak season when you are let go; which will happen because you, as stated above, are a seasonal driver with no expectation of full time permanent status or any protections or schedule restrictions afforded to Teamster drivers. That comes after peak season usually with a separate interview and position that is specifically written to be permanent.

I could go on and start an irrelevant discussion about railroad terminology, if needed....

WannaBeFeeder

Yes you should be concerned.
And I even think about sleep run you not even hired yet, you need some seniority to get those
Depends on hub ...... a lot of hubs are desperate for sleeper teams and have reverted to Nothing but street hires. You need seniority to get into feeders nobody is giving up their brown for overnights with another man accept for INDECISION maybe lol

MisplacedRailWorker

Depends on hub ...... a lot of hubs are desperate for sleeper teams and have reverted to Nothing but street hires. You need seniority to get into feeders nobody is giving up their brown for overnights with another man accept for INDECISION maybe lol
Again, this is what keeps me coming back to this forum.

MisplacedRailWorker

Is there a difference between "conventional" feeder jobs and sleeper team jobs? As in progression, classification, a different rider/supplement wise?

That's the thing. They took the ad down for the position. It was permanent on call. It said starts at $30 and goes down to $21 in January and I'm on the normal pay progressing scale. Also he told me once covid dies down they will open more sleeper teams. They only have once so far. But the money you can make my wife and I agreed for me too do it if I can. The job also starts benefits six months after I start they said