Personal days

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
He's/she's quitting though and wants to get in his pb's before he/she bolts.

Pretty smart to think of not leaving money on the table. Most newbs just bolt.

He says he's burnt his sick days already. If his manager knows he's going to be leaving, perhaps he's paying him back.

Maui

Pretty much all time has to be approved based on management needs. Personals should be scheduled at least 72 hours in advance. Less than 72 hours notice is considered an emergency and managers can ask for documentation.

Some states require personals to be paid if unused. Guessing you don’t live in one.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
He's/she's quitting though and wants to get in his pb's before he/she bolts.

Pretty smart to think of not leaving money on the table. Most newbs just bolt.
I think they have to pay you for those unused personal days, don't they?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Vendetta? We're a little bit melodramatic, aren't we?
220px-Emojione_BW_1F644.svg.png

59 Dano

Ok, let me rephrase. So, you admit managers will deny employees of their benefits as some sort of petty reprisal?

Nah. Managers must follow policy in the granting and denying of personal days, which allows them to deny personal days based on operational needs. He says the station is short staffed. If I'm his manager then I look for a way to get him his personal days.

Unless he's misused sick days and he's about to jump ship, in which case I ain't going out of my way for him (operational needs!) and if he doesn't like it then he can go to HR. I aim to please. If people want to do things by the book, we'll do them by the book. If they want to play games, we'll play games. I let them make that call.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Hello all,

I have been trying to use my personal days before I head out of FedEx. I've been denied a few times when given in 2 weeks in advance. Can anyone tell me the policy on using these days ? My managers give me the run around. I hear so many different things.

Thank you all!
If they won’t schedule them, call in the last 2 days. Tell them you’re using your “floater” for personal business.

If you’re given grief, contact Memphis, not HR.

dezguy

Nah. Managers must follow policy in the granting and denying of personal days, which allows them to deny personal days based on operational needs. He says the station is short staffed. If I'm his manager then I look for a way to get him his personal days.

Unless he's misused sick days and he's about to jump ship, in which case I ain't going out of my way for him (operational needs!) and if he doesn't like it then he can go to HR. I aim to please. If people want to do things by the book, we'll do them by the book. If they want to play games, we'll play games. I let them make that call.
Ok.

Good to know that managers aren't held to a higher standard than the employees under them and that all the propaganda hanging in our station about our industry leading benefits are really dependant on whether or not the manager chooses to allow us to use those benefits.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
“Industry-leading benefits” - oh, that one cracks me up every time I see it! Thirty years (and one take-away after another) ago, perhaps.

59 Dano

Just as lousy a character defect in a manager as it is in a police officer.

Odd that you'd see it that way, because Express workgroups tend to disagree. They tend to see managers who treat the jackarses who walk all over them with the same respect that they treat employees who work by the book as poor managers. A common theme is that they feel that the manager is too scared to do anything about the guy who misuses his sick days and so on, and that they feel that continuing to play by the book will hurt them because the "bad guys" will somehow manipulate, deviate, or subvert people/situations/policies for their own benefit. Seeing it happen over and over only serves to reinforce that perception and it eventually leads to a belief that the manager doesn't matter and it gets worse from there.

If you've never worked for someone who didn't establish and enforce boundaries about what is and isn't acceptable then you should consider yourself lucky.

Good to know that managers aren't held to a higher standard than the employees under them and that all the propaganda hanging in our station about our industry leading benefits are really dependant on whether or not the manager chooses to allow us to use those benefits.

Some of those benefits are at the discretion of operational needs. As far as your reliance on the "higher standard," in the real world you don't get to be a slacker/malcontent and then complain that your manager isn't giving you the same discretion that he gives to a normal human.